The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
markizme

Sloppy Steering GMC 2500 1968

Hey Gang, Still working on my 1968 GMC 2500. This week I am trying to take some of the sway out of the steering. I have what I believe is called POWER ASSISTED POWER STEERING. The pitman arm goes int some sort of control valve ant it relays to the center link I guess, and so on. There is a little circular play in the wheel with truck off. Where the pitman arm goes into the control valve? I guess, there is more play. I have looked for rebuild parts, but everything reproduced is way different than what I have. Is it better to try and hunt down replacement parts? Or, tear it all out and upgrade the steering to what is being mass produced and sold? I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you in advance
markizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
markizme

oops!

Last edited by markizme; 08-08-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
markizme

Here is what I see
Posted via Mobile Device

These pics were taken on my back laying under the truck in case you needed to catch your bearings
Attached Images

Last edited by markizme; 08-09-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
Ironangel

Re: Sloppy Steering GMC 2500 1968

Cant say that I've ever seen anything like that before...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have 1955-- 1967 or 8 had the ram power assisted ram.www.truckandcarshop.com has the new ram and bushings and parts.In 1968 they went to the box.If your having a looseness Its the manual box that whore out.You need to find a used box or buy a new one that will fix the looseness.The Ram is only there to make it easier on steering.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
markizme

So I am looking for a MANUAL box? Will it matter that the box is incorperated with a “Jet Ram” system when I look for a replacement? With a price that everyone is saying, I should have taken care of the steering issue sooner. Thanks Gang 👍
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I have 1955-- 1967 or 8 had the ram power assisted ram.www.truckandcarshop.com has the new ram and bushings and parts.In 1968 they went to the box.If your having a looseness Its the manual box that whore out.You need to find a used box or buy a new one that will fix the looseness.The Ram is only there to make it easier on steering.
I think what he means is the actual steering gear.

Also, I am unclear on what you are describing, is it a hydraulic cylinder on the center link/tie rod? I have always heard that called "ram assist"

A power steering gear has ports for the hydraulic fluid, and a ram-assist-gear is essentially a power steering gear with additional ports that feed the lines to the ram.

Agree with the guy who said send it to Redhead for a rebuild. They seem to be a very reputable operation. If you can't afford to have your truck out of service that long for them to rebuild the steering gear, call them up and see if they could supply you with a rebuilt gear, then you send yours in for the core charge.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
markizme

Here is what I am working on. She’s in very decent shape for being 50!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2018, 01:46 AM   #9
markizme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I think what he means is the actual steering gear.

Also, I am unclear on what you are describing, is it a hydraulic cylinder on the center link/tie rod? I have always heard that called "ram assist"

A power steering gear has ports for the hydraulic fluid, and a ram-assist-gear is essentially a power steering gear with additional ports that feed the lines to the ram.

Agree with the guy who said send it to Redhead for a rebuild. They seem to be a very reputable operation. If you can't afford to have your truck out of service that long for them to rebuild the steering gear, call them up and see if they could supply you with a rebuilt gear, then you send yours in for the core charge.
It is a RAM ASSIST system. I replaced the mounting bushings on the business end of the cylinder today and notice a bit of play in both, the ball joint of the control valve where the pitman arm attaches, and a bit of play in the box itself. I will adjust the box tomorrow to see if it helps. The bushings just tightened up the wander if that makes sense. Can anyone tell me if a little side to side play lengthwise in the control valve at the ball joint is normal? I searched redhead steering and found a box they claim will work but it is a power box and I need manual. I sent them an email for a bit of clarification. On top of everything, if I change the box, I would like to go with a closer ratio box. That big steering wheel and 4 1/2 turns lock to lock leaves that truck a bit less responsive than I wish for. Once again, thank you all for your info and help. You all are great!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
markizme

A big THANK YOU to everyone that posted and pm'd me about my steering issue. After the bushing replacement, I greased the front end, and gave the steering box just a bit more than 1/4 turn and all in all the steering tightened up. It is something that I can live with for the time being. The "Things to make the truck streetable" list is a long still. As I mentioned before, I super appreciate the knowledge that everyone has passed on to me. You guys rock
Old 08-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #11
markizme

Does anyone maybe have the part number for the box I need? That would be a big help. Thank you everyone👍
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
68 P.O.S.

You can send your box out to Red-Head for a rebuild https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/. That's what I would do. These guys do quality work and are known around this forum as being one of the best. You can have them upgrade the box to a faster ratio as well.

For the ram assist, Corvettes and a couple other cars used them as well back in the day. Here's a great thread on rebuilding the ram assist if you need to go that route: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=253657