The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Spindle & coil install question

I'm working on a C-10. The control arms are original, the spindles drop 2.5", the coil springs are the original height, and the rest is Moog suspension.

I can't lift the truck, there's no weight on the frame. I could wait for the engine, but I'd like to try it with this interior compressor I picked up, and finish the suspension already. My question may be too obvious, but I'll ask. It strikes me I should torque the ball joints onto the spindle and then release the coil spring. Any reason why you'd want to leave some play, and finish torque after the coil spring is released? Thank you.........

Finished the control arms today.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Andyking1203

Re: Spindle & coil install question

I dont see why you cant tighten things up then release the tension.. as for the removen the jack from under the a arm, I'd use a ratchet strap hooked to the frame and the jack in order to compress the spring.. just my 2 cents
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
77c10bowtie

Re: Spindle & coil install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I'm working on a C-10. The control arms are original, the spindles drop 2.5", the coil springs are the original height, and the rest is Moog suspension.

I can't lift the truck, there's no weight on the frame. I could wait for the engine, but I'd like to try it with this interior compressor I picked up, and finish the suspension already. My question may be too obvious, but I'll ask. It strikes me I should torque the ball joints onto the spindle and then release the coil spring. Any reason why you'd want to leave some play, and finish torque after the coil spring is released? Thank you.........

Finished the control arms today.
the only time i worry about finishing tightening a bolt is when rubber or urethane bushings come into play because you can tear or bind them up if torqued at the the wrong angle.
for a balljoint it wouldn't hurt either way as long as the boot isn't twisted up.
fwiw i tightened thousands of balljoints on a lift on cars over the years working at a dealership.
77c10bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote