The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Sawlog

Has anybody used this blueprint crate motor?

Thought about swapping my wore out 350 in my 69 c10 with one of these. Have any of you used this crate motor?
Attached Images

Sawlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Jcfcamaro

Re: Has anybody used this blueprint crate motor?

I have the 383/430 h.p all roller motor in my camaro. Runs great haven't had any issues but I only have 2000 miles on it so far. My buddy is going with the same motor in his 71 monte carlo. I bet the 350 is a good one also.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
1968C30

I have one in my 67 Camaro it’s a 355 with 413hp. Runs great no problems.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
SC1969c10

Did you end up going with this engine? My truck went to the shop and its smoking like crazy and theyre telling me it’d be cheaper and better bet to drop a new motor than rebuilding the one in it now.
Posted via Mobile Device
SC1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Sawlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1969c10 View Post
Did you end up going with this engine? My truck went to the shop and its smoking like crazy and theyre telling me it’d be cheaper and better bet to drop a new motor than rebuilding the one in it now.
Posted via Mobile Device
No I did not, but I did drop a 350 block off at 5he machine shop Tuesday. I'm going to build.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
CUDA8U

A friend dropped a 502 in his truck and has had issues.
It was explained to me the diff between shop built and a crate.The crate eng is built on an assembly line and a performance shop will disassemble the engine 2-3 times,double and triple checking everything before they say its done.
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
CastIron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA8U View Post
The crate eng is built on an assembly line and a performance shop will disassemble the engine 2-3 times,double and triple checking everything before they say its done.
An engine doesn't have to be disassembled 2-3 times to be right. Even with checking clearances with plastigauge it shouldn't be that much assembly/disassembly.
I wouldn't think there's too much difference between the blueprint crate engines and having one built. Both places probably use low-wage employees to do the bulk of the work.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
CUDA8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
An engine doesn't have to be disassembled 2-3 times to be right. Even with checking clearances with plastigauge it shouldn't be that much assembly/disassembly.
I wouldn't think there's too much difference between the blueprint crate engines and having one built. Both places probably use low-wage employees to do the bulk of the work.

i guess it depends on the hp level and the quality of the shop,a high performance builder told me this,he mostly talked about crank clearances,end play and proper valve train alignment/lash. His stroked out 454 with 650hp is 6 yrs old and has 200+ trips down the quarter mile so.....He built the engine for his bosses 69 swb c10 and has won many trophies.He said this engine can rev to 7000 rpm easily.The crank was race balanced,solid roller cam etc etc
I believe him since he has been building engines most of his life.
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #9
Sawlog

I'm just getting to block machined, I'm going to build it a home.Cant wait to do it. Hopefully I will have a whole new truck by spring. Changing motor, rear gear and adding stall converter.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
krifenbery

BUMP.
Anyone put this engine in there 67-72 yet?

I am also considering dropping this engine into my 72 K20 w/ TH350. My truck has 35’s and is my daily driver 0-70mph, not often used for towing. Think this engine would be a good fit for my needs? Seems to have good hp and torque for the price and a few good reviews outside this forum.
krifenbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by krifenbery View Post
BUMP.
Anyone put this engine in there 67-72 yet?

I am also considering dropping this engine into my 72 K20 w/ TH350. My truck has 35’s and is my daily driver 0-70mph, not often used for towing. Think this engine would be a good fit for my needs? Seems to have good hp and torque for the price and a few good reviews outside this forum.
I am seriously considering this engine for my K20. I like the Chevy Performance HP383 too; but for the price/power this is a nice deal. I am guessing you corresponded with BP and they gave you the dyno numbers. Engine is supposed to come with mechanical fuel pump provision and the clutch linkage drilled and tapped. But... I will be calling them to verify they will be sending a block drilled and ready for a mechanical pump and a clutch. It is a very good price. If you're not hung up on the 4bolt main, I'm not.

j
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
RodnRudy

I talked to Blue Print about the amount of vacuum this engine produces. They told me it makes around 10 inches of vacuum probably not enough for power brakes without using a vacuum pump or canister. That's got me on the fence about getting it.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
TheRocket

I don't know about this engine but NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a remanufactured engine from their sister company Marshall Engines. They basically take an old engine, replace a few parts that obviously need replaced and ship it out. Worn valves, etc. are left in the motor. I bought one of their engines based on a local suppliers recommendations and had to pull an oil tank behind me because it leaked so bad. Their warranty is absolutely worthless. Everything is the fault of the consumer.

They used to have an F rating on the BBB website. Once upon a time they got a D-. Now it is an A+, but only because the old complaints have dropped-off.

Let the buyer beware.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
I talked to Blue Print about the amount of vacuum this engine produces. They told me it makes around 10 inches of vacuum probably not enough for power brakes without using a vacuum pump or canister. That's got me on the fence about getting it.
Go manual or Hydroboost.

Info for other readers so you don't have to dig around for it:

hydraulic roller camshaft with .495/.503 lift, 220/224 duration @ .050 lift with 1.5 ratio rockers & 110 degree lobe separation angle. Engine rated at a 9.3:1 compression ratio, average vacuum at idle is about 8-10 inches.

I would call them to talk stall converter, and verify what I wrote before making any purchase!

j
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #15
Redneck Rydes

I went with a GM crate engine 50,000 mile warrenty
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #16
Sawlog

I finished my build and have the new motor in my 69. So glad I built rather then bought.
It's pretty cool doing all the research and picking out your owe parts and putting it all together.
It's a great feeling when you first fire it up.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #17
rjs53

I don't know much about the blue print engines, but I bought a ZZ4 crate motor. The harder I ran it the better it run. Eventually milled the heads .20 and put a comp 282hr in it. Ran 12:60's all day long @4000ft, and that was in a 3500lb car. had 150 quarter mile passes and 5000 street miles on it when I sold it, wish I never got rid of it. Glad to hear you built your motor, its always exciting when your firing one up for the first time.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #18
AK_C10

Not sure about their stock hp level engines but a good friend of mine owns a machine shop and fixes several of their high performance engines a year, they do have a warranty but they seem to get out of it with some sort of loophole most times I’m told. I would stay clear with the stories I’ve heard
AK_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
bigmac73

I have the BP-3550ct runs great, I wish i would have spent a few bucks and got the 383 stroker (roller) , but i will upgrade later on.
I had some issues at first but the warranty dept took care of it and sent me a another engine , paid for shipping and even sent me a new shipping crate . So in the end no complaints., I also bought a 300 hp iron head 350 back in the early 90's from them and never had a issue with that one either
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawlog View Post
I finished my build and have the new motor in my 69. So glad I built rather then bought.
It's pretty cool doing all the research and picking out your owe parts and putting it all together.
It's a great feeling when you first fire it up.
so give us the rundown on your new build....
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #21
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
I have the BP-3550ct runs great, I wish i would have spent a few bucks and got the 383 stroker (roller) , but i will upgrade later on.
I had some issues at first but the warranty dept took care of it and sent me a another engine , paid for shipping and even sent me a new shipping crate . So in the end no complaints., I also bought a 300 hp iron head 350 back in the early 90's from them and never had a issue with that one either
What happened with that engine?

Thanks,
j
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
bw46

I bought a crate engine from ATK, 415 HP 383 for my '71. I was pleased with the interaction with ATK, they share their quality data, etc. Engine arrived on schedule, packed really well, included a few more accessories and details than even I expected. Runs terrific, no leaks! (miracle, right?) Came with dyno sheet etc. However, I have reason to doubt the power level (no test data though). Dynos can be made to say whatever. But I don't think that matters so much in this case, they got all the important stuff exactly right. I give ATK a big thumbs up.
bw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #23
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
What happened with that engine?

Thanks,
j
the first engine I had keep loosing water for some reason and I kept get huge amounts of sludge under the valve covers and under the intake,and it just seems to run off a little and other people told me that i was blowing smoke or steam out one side once and a while

So I called Blue Print and started working with them doing the investigation myself. I pulled the heads sent them to a local machine shop got them magnafluxed , no cracks.

Changed the head gaskets, etc etc no fix, sent them pictures along the way, so they finally said send the engine back to us and we will go through it , they did said they hydro-ed the block no leaks or cracks, and sent it back to me.

I reinstalled it , then it started doing it again.

So they said send it back again ( they paid for shipping again) and I had another engine on my front porch in a couple of days. No problems with that one the other block must have had a minor crack that would open under heat or something who knows... I did get fired up and jumped the gun at first when this whole process started and filed a complaint on rip off report ( you guys can read it) but Blue print did take care of things and I sent in a rebuttal to my original complaint.

At first it seemed like i was going to have to jump thorough some hoops for them to start helping me out, but we got it worked out in just a few weeks.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #24
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
the first engine I had keep loosing water for some reason and I kept get huge amounts of sludge under the valve covers and under the intake,and it just seems to run off a little and other people told me that i was blowing smoke or steam out one side once and a while

So I called Blue Print and started working with them doing the investigation myself. I pulled the heads sent them to a local machine shop got them magnafluxed , no cracks.

Changed the head gaskets, etc etc no fix, sent them pictures along the way, so they finally said send the engine back to us and we will go through it , they did said they hydro-ed the block no leaks or cracks, and sent it back to me.

I reinstalled it , then it started doing it again.

So they said send it back again ( they paid for shipping again) and I had another engine on my front porch in a couple of days. No problems with that one the other block must have had a minor crack that would open under heat or something who knows... I did get fired up and jumped the gun at first when this whole process started and filed a complaint on rip off report ( you guys can read it) but Blue print did take care of things and I sent in a rebuttal to my original complaint.

At first it seemed like i was going to have to jump thorough some hoops for them to start helping me out, but we got it worked out in just a few weeks.
Hmm, not good! What a hassle. I don't dig being exercised! I generally like a seasoned block, that's picked by a seasoned builder! I've been leery of their definition of a seasoned block and heads. I know they do it to save bucks and not get good seasoned stock. I've been leery.

j
Old 01-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #25
bigmac73

I look at it like this in the world of mass production there are going to be a few hit and misses, I just took a hit that time but it worked out. I guess I could have took the old tired 2 bolt main 350 to a local machine shop to get it redone, but who know how much i would have been in for in the end after i start adding goodies.
And the BP crate based on my earlier 90's purchased seemed like a good deal based on HP/TQ , warranty , money in pocket and time frame to get it installed. ( this was a daily driver for the most part at the time)

I have heard horror stories about the GM crate world as well, so I guess it is all about Luck of the draw.