The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #76
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleycustom
I should have my shop open by next summer, but until then I'm just doing the work out of my house. Yeah I have a few trucks driving around town that I bagged. I have a pewter Sonoma on 20" kmc's. I also did a black hardbody on caddy rims and it has the rear shaved.
I'll be on the lookout for those two. I may have to hit you up when you open your shop, to "Z" my front frame. Doesn't Killer Customz have a 67-72 that's bagged & bodydropped, also?
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #77
valleycustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroppedZ84
I'll be on the lookout for those two. I may have to hit you up when you open your shop, to "Z" my front frame. Doesn't Killer Customz have a 67-72 that's bagged & bodydropped, also?
I thought killer closed?
valleycustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #78
Musclerodz

"A" and "G" body Chevelles and Malibus are the most common with this setup but are far from ideal. With such short upper links, they bind with minimal movement and induce roll steer. The design is poor. Ideally you want the arms as long as possible to prevent roll steer, jonny joints to prevent binding in the diagonal arms, the arms spread apart on the rear for better load distribution, and the diagonals to be under the rear end to lower the roll center. I am no expert, but have learned a few things while desgining a road race suspension for my 68 Camaro. A good beginners book to read is Herb Adams "Chassis Engineering".

Mike
Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #79
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
I thought killer closed?
Hard to say really...I drive by there everyday, going down the 99, somedays, I see the door open, and there are cars in the shop. Last time the door was open, they were working on a baby blue 65 C10.
Do you belong to any of the local truck clubs? I think most of the bagged trucks around here belong to this chapter of Pharcyde...but most of them have 88+ trucks. Good to see someone building a classic
Old 09-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #80
valleycustom

Quote:
Hard to say really...I drive by there everyday, going down the 99, somedays, I see the door open, and there are cars in the shop. Last time the door was open, they were working on a baby blue 65 C10.
Do you belong to any of the local truck clubs? I think most of the bagged trucks around here belong to this chapter of Pharcyde...but most of them have 88+ trucks. Good to see someone building a classic
I was going to join Pharcyde but I changed my mind. For right now I'm laying low in the club scene.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #81
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
I was going to join Pharcyde but I changed my mind. For right now I'm laying low in the club scene.
Good deal, really.
Yeah, I take that back about Killer Ridez, I drove by there today, and the shop was being loaded with some other company..so yeah, I guess they ARE defunct.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #82
valleycustom

Quote:
Good deal, really.
Yeah, I take that back about Killer Ridez, I drove by there today, and the shop was being loaded with some other company..so yeah, I guess they ARE defunct.
Yeah that's what I thought. The last time I drove by there they had some other stuff there.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #83
valleycustom

Re: Custom Chassis with canti setup

I figured I would snap a few pictures. I finally got the motor in.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #84
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

More pics!Lookin awesome.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 AM   #85
valleycustom

Well after many hours of thinking I decided to redo the rear canti setup. It's going to look the same but have bigger components. The new verision isn't going to use bushings, but it's going to run wheel bearings from a mustang II rotor. With this new setup it will eaiser to get replacement bearings rather than making bushings from stock. Here are some pictures of the old setup and the new setup I'm making right now and some picture showing what I need to do to get this stuff to work. The first picture shows what the stock looks like when I start on the right and what it looks like when I'm finished on the left. The last picture you can see the difference between the old and the new.
Attached Images

Last edited by valleycustom; 11-17-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #86
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Very nice work. How are you machining that tubing like that? Looks like some thick tube material you are using is that .250 wall? Just courious what size tubing 1.5? and what wall you are using on the suspension stuff. Are there guidelines on what size and wall tubing to use on frame and suspension stuff other than thicker the better

Last edited by FirstGen; 11-18-2005 at 12:26 PM.
FirstGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #87
valleycustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGen
Very nice work. How are you machining that tubing like that? Looks like some thick tube material you are using is that .250 wall? Just courious what size tubing 1.5? and what wall you are using on the suspension stuff. Are there guidelines on what size and wall tubing to use on frame and suspension stuff other than thicker the better
The tubing in the picture is 2" O.D .375 wall. I'm maching the I.D of the DOM to 1 3/8" on my lathe then I run a broach through to create the keyway. On the frame I'm using 2x4 and 2x5 3/16" wall box and for the tubing I used 1.5" dom .156 wall.

Thanks
Jr
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #88
stueber68
1968 C20 Vortec Beast

I tell you what, I have seen all sorts of fabrication and with what you have done I am amazed with your attention to detail. it's almost a shame to cover this up with a body. This setup, hell I can't come up with something to express it properly. Awesome job, I AM IMPRESSED.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:47 AM   #89
valleycustom

Thanks. Here are some pictures showing how I get the keyway inside the DOM. There is a bushing that you insert into the tubing. This is a guide for the broach. You press the broach all the way through the tube, then you add shims behind the broach and press it again. You have to press the broach through 3 times before it's finished. It takes forever.
Attached Images

Last edited by valleycustom; 11-19-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #90
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Very cool, thanks for the info and pics! Any pictures of your frame table? I would love to see what that looks like...
-Taylor
Old 11-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #91
70short/step

You guys that are too far away to visit him are missing out! He did my rear suspension and while I was there checked out this awsome custom frame! The detail is unbeliveable and these pics dont do it justice!
He has a complete machine shop in his garage and can make damn near anything you want!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #92
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

Damn Jr... your head is full of kick ass ideas, I have been too busy to get over there... we have #2 coming really soon and I am trying to finish bidness with the kidlets rooms! I want to check out that rear end you are fab'n!

I still want you to notch the rear of the burb too! I know I wont be able to check things out this weekend but maybe next! You are on your way man, that shop of yours will do BIG things INDEED!

Bill
cornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM   #93
valleycustom

Here are a few pictures of the new rear canti components. This is almost finished.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 AM   #94
valleycustom

Here are some more pictures. Before I stated that I was going to use Mustang II wheel bearings. Well just for fun I checked the ID on the C-10 wheel bearing and they have the same ID as the Mustang bearing. So I'm going to use all C-10 parts. In these pictures you can see the housing I machined for the wheel bearings. This setup is going to be much much better than the first prototype I had before. Now all I have to do is cut out the old and install the new. The new shaft is 1 3/8" oil hardened drill rod. This stuff isn't easy to machine. Then I used 3/16" high carbon keys for the keyways. With this setup the owner could tow a 5th wheel. LOL!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by valleycustom; 11-21-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:23 AM   #95
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Well just for fun I checked the ID on the C-10 wheel bearing and they have the same ID as the Mustang bearing. So I'm going to use all C-10 parts.
Stock, like a rock.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #96
valleycustom

Well here are some pictures of the transplant. In the pictures you can see the difference between the old and the new setup.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #97
valleycustom

More
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #98
valleycustom

And More
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #99
valleycustom

Never ending pictures
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #100
Izzy
Trucker.

Damn that's probably the best fab work I've seen.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote