The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
gator2511

Question Just Talked To The Edelbrock Tech....

Told Him I just read my plugs and they say the engine is running rich. I tried to re-callibrate the carb. one step leaner and it wouldn't hardly run. He says its not a cal. problem but most likely a pressure problem. He says I need to check the fuel pressure and regulate it to 5 to 51/2 psi. I'm using a stock mechanical fuel pump, nothing special. Carb is a 1406 eddy. Have you guys had to regulate your pressure on a mostly stock engine? Is there a good set up that includes a regulator and a pressure gauge for less than John Force pays?
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Just Talked To The Edelbrock Tech....

Every once in a while a stock pump puts out too much pressure. If you have access to another pump you can try it.

Don't know what to say about which one to buy. My friend had a cheapy until it started leaking. Easy way to burn up a truck. I can't remember what he replaced it with.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

What did your plugs look like.

I have never had to regulate the pressure on any of my mostly stock component builds. I.E. fuel pump, edel. carb. Ect.

You can pick up a pretty cheap regulator from summit but stay away from the plastic ones they plane suck previous experience. Long story.

Here's a few Summit has in the 4 1/2 to 9 psi range

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 06-08-2007 at 05:46 PM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
RM72chevy

Yes,

I've had the same issue with the 1406.
I've purchased a cheap inline fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure.
With a brand spanking new fuel pump I was pushing over 10psi. I bought a cheap inline fuel pressure regulator from pep boys for under 25.00 as a temp fix. The regulator allows control from 0-5.5 psi. so far it has has been working. However the regulator is not accurate, I have it set to 5.5 and the gauge reads 5.0
Attached Images

RM72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
gator2511

Well I know a Holley can stand more pressure than the Edelbrock so I'm thinking I might have to get the regulator and gauge like you RM. My plugs looked like they had soot all over them. The ceramic portion was clean but everything else was black. It was dry stuff so its not burning oil. It just looked like it was way too rich. If I can't change the jetting to compensate it I'll have to try what the tech guy said. With the price of gas so high the parts will pay for themselves in no time if it helps my mileage.

When I wanted to play in my little 64 Vette I would re-jet the 750 Holley to run richer and have some fun. My plugs now look just like the old Vette but that motor was well over 400 hp. Before I did the head, cam and exhaust changes the plugs were a nice light tan. Now I'm wasteing gas.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
gator2511

Question Re: Just Talked To The Edelbrock Tech....

Nobody else has had this problem? Any feedback?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
cdowns

there's better ways to mount regulators than just leavin it floopin around and using a dozen hose clamps
Attached Images

71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
there's better ways to mount regulators than just leavin it floopin around and using a dozen hose clamps
That rubber hose set up above just looked scary to me. The clean look of AN fitting can’t be beat IMO, but can be pretty expensive.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 06-09-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
boatpuller

can't help on your problem.but,on my edelbrock "tech" line expierence.i wasn't to impressed with there knowledge.he was a expert at skirting around the question,like a politician.but no expert on anything about carbs.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

If it is over pressurized, look at the vent for fuel spillage into the venturi. If you don’t see it, I don’t think you have an overpressure problem.
Where in the RPM range is it fat?
Fat at idle is very common if you have a lot of cam, its hard to keep it running without the extra fuel or timing advance.
Plug readings for the most part are only valuable for full load/RPM readings when it comes to carbureted performance engines. You may have to live with a richer the normal condition to keep the thing idled.

More information about your engine might help. I know you mentioned its mostly stock, but do you have any kind of lumpy cam in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
can't help on your problem.but,on my edelbrock "tech" line expierence.i wasn't to impressed with there knowledge.he was a expert at skirting around the question,like a politician.but no expert on anything about carbs.
Tech guys from these big companies are very low tech. I think they just read things off a trouble shooting guide, most don’t really have a clue or have no hands on experience to help you.
I do however applaud there employers for giving employment to the mentally and emotionally impaired......hey Paris may need work when she gets out........she could work the Edelbrock tech line.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Last edited by jamis; 06-09-2007 at 11:00 AM.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
boatpuller

you must have talked to the same "expert" .
Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
gator2511

GMPP Vortec cast iron heads and a mild cam, .432/.453 lift, 250 and 258 degrees duration. 350 ci with dished top pistons. 2 1/2" dual exhaust with "H" pipe and Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers. So the motor isn't anything radical just a little more torque down low. Its no big deal but I never had a near stock engine that I couldn't dial in a little better than this. It runs great but its just running a little richer than I think it should. I ordered a Holley regulator with a mounting bracket and a pressure gauge with a hose barb fitting for it. After the pressure is set I'll probably remove the gauge. It just bothers me not to have it just right.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
Nobody else has had this problem? Any feedback?

Yes. Stock pumps like mentioned can push alot of pressure especially the 2 port pumps with no return line. Using a FPR is nessasary once in a while to help with this especially with edelbrock carbs. Going leaner one step should not have caused driveability issues.

What symptoms besides the plugs are you dealing with? Usually a FP problem with an edelcrap will cause a stalling problem.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #14
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
can't help on your problem.but,on my edelbrock "tech" line expierence.i wasn't to impressed with there knowledge.
Had to call them twice--wasn't impressed with their 'support' either. As far as I am concerned their tech line sucks. One time I had to figure it out myself by trial and error. The other time I had to kinda reengineer one of their intake manifolds.

edit: forgot to add that what I got from the 'techs' was ''well, did you read the directions?'' that came in the box.

Last edited by kwmech; 06-09-2007 at 04:53 PM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

I think it sounds like you may solve your problem with the regulator but, I wanted to add that the reason most of the "TECH" lines consultants suck is the same reason it's hard to find a good parts store counter person.

The Companies do not want to pay for knowlegable employees. I agree with the above statement that I think alot just read of of trouble shooting pages to give you answers and most have no hands on experience in the area they are working.

RJ22...

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #16
Green Machine

Did you recheck the float level - we had to lower the floats a little to cure a rich/lite flooding on our 1406, floats were about 3/8 and should be about 7/16.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
gator2511

Yes I did check the floats. I reset both of them in the uprite and upside down directions. I set mine to close at about 7/16. Maybe I didn't understand the Edelbrock chart. I wanted to go one step down from stock on my 1406. I read straight down the "cruise base line" to the next number which was #8. Then I noted the part # and ordered new metering rods and primary jets. The truck won't hardly run on them. Thats how I got to this spot.

Last edited by gator2511; 06-10-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
RustyParts

I bought the Edelbrock fuel pump, already regulated for their carbs.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
gator2511

I bought a Holley regulator and a gauge. I put the gauge in the line to check the stock fuel pressure and it was 9 psi. The carb is supposed to work with a max of 5 1/2 psi. I installed the regulator and the gauge and adjusted it to 5 1/2 psi. I'm going to clean the plugs as soon as I can and let them run for a week or so and re check them. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow. My Son just bought a 91 ferd ranger and its limping around so I get to work on it for Fathers day.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #20
gator2511

Hey Jason, you are dead on about some of the parts people. I was getting some fittings for the regulator at Advance Auto and the counter guy didn't have any idea what npt pipe fittings were! I told him to take me to the fittings and I'll find them. He told me he did not know any of the fitting sizes or how they might hook up to one another! How does a guy get a job in an auto parts store like that?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #21
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Pretty much the same way they get a job a McDonalds I would say and It is very sad

It has been ten years or so since I worked at my local NAPA and I worked with quit a few guys like that

And that is one of the reasons I left. I loved the job THEN, pay sucked and the guys that knew nothing made the same amount as the guys that knew alot. SAD VERY SAD

I say they should spend a little less on advertisements and pay their GOOD employee's better. Their reputation would make them more money than there high dollar ads do. IMO that is!!

Enough on that, How is the truck running now? Did the Fuel Pressure Reg. fix the problem?

RJ22...

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 06-17-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
gator2511

I pulled a couple of plugs and they already started looking better. I cleaned them and I'll check them next week, that should tell me. Here's some photos of the regulator set up. I don't know why but it seems I always photograph everything I do to the truck.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
cdowns

well if you photograpph everythin that way you'll have a picture of how it looked before the fire when the ruuber hose junctions fail
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

cdowns you do have a funny way of putting thing don't you.

I agree that there are other ways of doing things but, IMO gator2511 has a decent set-up here. And it does not look thrown together. I doubt he will have any issues but, who knows, right.

Certainly not you or I so as long as I don't see something that is completely off/dangerous IMO it is just better off left unstated.

RJ22...

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Nothing wrong with rubber hose for fuel or else they wouldn't sell rubber fuel hose. If you want a little better then get the USCG approved fuel hose its a little better.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote