The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
davepl

AN wrenches - am I just too powerful?

I was tightening a -6 fitting and the fancy aluminum wrench slipped off. When I went to try again, it was too big.

Apparently, then, I stretched out the jaws? The say "Gorilla Tools USA" on it but when I contacted Gorilla Tools, they don't make an AN wrench set.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation on a good quality wrench set that isn't a million dollars, won't scratch the fittings, and that works!

Thanks,
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: AN wrenches - am I just too powerful?

flare nut wrenches FTW! anything from Craftsman to Snap-on will work just fine for your needs posted above..

flare nut wrenches engage more B nut surface area and have much less tendency to round the corners..

these are especially handy for breaking loose older corroded, rusty, frozen brake line tubing and hose fittings..

typical AN flare fittings in the lower pressure ranges of automotive use generally require very little torque for an effective seal..

this is the general purpose of those short handled 'fancy' AN wrenches, prevent over torquing

over torquing flare fittings stretches and distorts the cone and seat and can create weak joints, smearing, cracks, and subsequently leaks..

if you suspect that you may have already over torqued any of your fittings, I recommend replacing them now and minimize trouble later..

properly sized, fitted, and torqued, AN style fittings should last a lifetime even with regular assembling/disassembling..

here's a typical torque chart for AN fittings, Torque Specs for AN Fittings

*note - these torque values are in inch pounds and for reference on larger sizes, divide by 12 for foot pounds..

Convert Inch-pounds Force to Foot-pounds Force

example, -6 aluminum torque range is 110-130 in lb or 12 ft lb which ain't much..

there are readily available flare nut sockets for torquing B nuts.. torque values then are corrected depending on the offset..

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm

I have these in my tool box, Snap-on, Armstrong, and Bonney.. the home-made job on the end is for leading edge slat actuators on 737s

if you don't have a practical measured torque method or calibrated elbow, the FFFT method is generally acceptable..

good luck!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
davepl

Thanks, I've never tried the "flats from finger tight" method, wonder if it works right on aluminum AN fittings?

I definitely use the wraparound tube wrenches on steel nuts, but they'd scratch the heck out of aluminum. Maybe I can find a set of tube nut wrenches in aluminum, I'll have to check around!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Killer Bee

good anodized fittings shouldn't be that fragile..

but if they're show quality fittings, try wrapping electrical tape around them..

seen firefighters do that so they don't scratch their chrome..

good luck!