The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
racerx8413

Porterbuilt Dropmember and steering linkage

For those of you that have the rack and pinion on the newer coilover/touring crossmembers, how/where did you mount the support bearing for the steering shaft?

The newer dropmembers with rack and pinion - the steering shaft feeds underneath the drivers side dropmember support brace - so the angle of attack to the steering shaft is pretty severe - requiring the use of the 3rd knuckle and a support bearing.

What I'm unsure of is, where to mount that heim joint and do i need to make a bracket of some sort? I did some googling and searching, but couldn't find what other folks have done, i guess because the coilover dropmember is a bit newer, and the rack and pinion mount is a bit closer to the cab and lower on the crossmember.
racerx8413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
cool68

Re: Porterbuilt Dropmember and steering linkage

anyone?
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
racerx8413

Re: Porterbuilt Dropmember and steering linkage

Hey, saw your message, figured I'd post what I ended up doing,

I had a local welder build me a bracket, it works pretty well, and wherever you have the nuts spun on the heim joint, make a world of difference in clearance/binding of the joints...

very simple, just a flat rectangle piece, with another flat retancle piece welded towards the front.

my measurements were a little off, but nothing not solvable by drilling the holes in different spots (I attached the rough draft i sent him)
Attached Images

racerx8413 is offline   Reply With Quote