The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

New Project

Hi Guys:
This is my new project. I have been posting in 67-72 section since I have a 67 C20, I have always loved mid 50s chevy truck. I came across this one and couldn't resist. It has been sitting for decades but it is complete. Believe it or not, it has mainly surface rust! There are some holes on steps but so far I have not seen any more through holes. I know more when I take delivery of it in few days. I don't have any experience with these model years and I will be needing to read a lot and ask a lot of questions, I start with this one:
Seller has a clear title with his name. He got the truck 4 years ago. On the title, there is a VIN # but I can't find any VIN number on the truck. I see the GM ID plate with serial number and no VIN, while the title has a VIN # with no serial #. So, any ideas?
Attached Images

1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner

Last edited by Nima; 04-29-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: New Project

AD trucks had no VIN, only the manufacturer's serial number. Many states use that number as a VIN, but some older titles used the engine number as a VIN. Do your ID plate and title VIN numbers not match? If not, your truck may originally have been titled by the engine number.

Welcome to this forum; the more, the merrier!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
AD trucks had no VIN, only the manufacturer's serial number. Many states use that number as a VIN, but some older titles used the engine number as a VIN. Do your ID plate and title VIN numbers not match? If not, your truck may originally have been titled by the engine number.

Welcome to this forum; the more, the merrier!
Thanks. No the serial # on the truck is different than the VIN # on the title. I really couldn't see the engine plate # since inside the engine bay was so dirty. How many numbers are the engine # usually?
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
jbarron

The vin number is on the motor.
There is a pad on the block just below the head mid motor. Left side if I remember correct.
The door tag is just a serial/sequence number.
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Nima
Blue 67

So, what would happen when you swap the motor? I know this might be a stupid question but this is the first truck this old to me. What happens if you do a V8 or LS conversion or even another I6?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
mr48chev

I did a bit of research the other day and US built vehicles didn't have specific "VIN" numbers before 1954. Before that they just had serial numbers and the serial numbers on GM trucks never matched so a Matching number AD truck is non existent.

This pretty well explains 41/57 Chevy six cylinder engine serial numbers http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm
Many states used the engine serial number right up to 54 and continued to use it as the vin if it was the vin on the title.

If your block has the serial number that matches the vin on the title DO NOT get rid of that block no matter how you redo the truck unless you have already had the vin on the title updated due to an engine change. That is your proof that that is the truck listed on the title. You may have to take the block with you to the inspection station to have the truck inspected if you do an engine swap.

This is pick a number to see which door post tag serial number decoder you like best as some are easier to follow though than others .

http://www.sanjosechevys.org/Tech/te...chevtrucks.htm

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.html

https://www.chevytrucks.org/advance-design-vin-decoder/

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/ch...l-numbers.html

It's like getting directions from people on the street, they all get you to the same place but some are easier to follow.

That truck looks pretty solid and on an AD dents in fenders aren't usually that hard to deal with as apposed to rust. You will be amazed what you can accomplish with a bottle jack on that rear fender.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
So, what would happen when you swap the motor? I know this might be a stupid question but this is the first truck this old to me. What happens if you do a V8 or LS conversion or even another I6?
Thanks
That's why virtually all state DMVs have discontinued using engine numbers as VINs. They now use the manufacturer's serial number on the door jamb.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
Matt_50

I was told that if I ever swapped engines again that I would need to stick the old one in the back of the truck, get the new one in, and then go downtown to get the anti theft department to write it off and give new vin off of new engine. Having the old one available makes it a lot easier. At least in Texas anyways.