The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Interviews and Articles

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
vectorit
What?

Our Staff : Vectorit

Truck Info
Manufacturer: Chevrolet K20
Body: Suburban
Year: 1968
Suspension type: modified 4" lift
Front Brakes: 12" Drum
Modifications: stock
Rear Brakes: 12" Drum
Steering: Manual
Front differential type: Dana 44 Closed knuckle
Rear differential type: Eaton HO52
Gear ratio: 4.57

Body
Color Scheme: Green and white
Bodyman: Many
Modifications: None
Paint Type: Single stage
Painter: Many

Interior
Color: black and green
Seats: 1969 Suburban benches, 3/4 second row
Material: cloth/Vinyl Black and gray
Upholsterer: OEM GM
Wiring: M&H harnesses OEM design
Modifications: None
Steering wheel/Column: OEM
Stereo/Speakers/Amps: OEM AM push button radio, with mono dash speaker
Air Conditioning: Nope - 4 down 70 mph
Instrument Gauges: Tach, fuel, mechanical Oil , water , volts, vacuum

Engine
Cubic Inch: 327
Bored: .060
Manufacturer: Chevrolet
Original: Yes
Camshaft: Erson TQ-20 Flat tappet
Cylinder heads: 1972 Camaro 1.94 stock heads pocket ported by me, and set up for unleaded.
Valve Covers: OEM GM tin
Intake Manifold: OEM 4 barrel cast iron
Ignition System: Pertronix
Exhaust type: Ram manifolds, H pipe, Flowmaster series 70's, tail pipe exiting behind rear wheels.
Carburetor or Fuel Injection: Quadra-jet

Transmission
Standard: SM465
Transfer case: Rockwell T-221
Modifications: Rebuilt
Shifter type: Floor shift
Drive Shaft:rear ; stock / front ; rebuilt and extended 2"

Biography
What is your name? Chris Tye

Please share a few things about yourself. (Bio, family, background, hobbies, your favorite pizza topping, your favorite vacation spot, etc) Born and raised in Southern CA, Mom/Dad split when I was a teen ager, Sister lives in SoCal as well, Dad Lives in Idaho, Mom lives in Central coast of CA, Hobbies are antiques, American military history, Harley Davidson's, gun collecting, I like everything on my pizza's except for bell peppers and anchovies - but I will eat them if they are on there but later I pay for it. Favorite vacation places are the Sierra Nevada mountains exploring the trails and back roads.

How long have you owned your truck?
Dad gave me the title in 1995 I think, but I grew up in it as a kid.

What made you decide to buy this truck? For me, it was saving it from rotting away. I asked my Dad if I could get the truck running again and take it camping, which he agreed and I managed to get the Suburban running and looking really well all things considered. After I was done camping with it, and it came time to give it back to him - He gave me the pink, saying that I could care for it better than he could.

How do you store your truck, at home, garage, outside etc? What do you enjoy about your truck the most?
It is parked in the garage at home. I enjoy driving my truck around town taking in all of it's sounds, since it is very noisey with a lot of smells from engine oil to gear oil it takes me back as a kid. It's my time machine, and at the same time I get a kick out of watching people looking at it and taking pictures.

What was your biggest influence in building your truck?
The memories, and knowing that there were no other trucks like it in my area - I like being different.

What has been the biggest obstacle you have faced in working on your project? How did you/do you handle it?
Storage and cash. Being single, and low paid for many years I lived in crappy apartment complexes and had to store the truck in cramped storage units.

What/who is you favorite/best part source? LMC, and Orange county car and truck shop for the most part. But now I am down to things that are not made by anyone, so I am down to scrounging for parts or making them.

What are some things have helped your project to be a success? My parents. Mostly my Dad, since he loved the truck but couldn't care for it like I do. My Mother just gets a kick out of the whole situation, since she kinda hated the truck but it was and still is such an influential truck in our family.

What is the history behind your truck?
When I was very little, my Mom and Dad had a 1967 Jeep Commando that was small and troublesome. My Dad wanted a 4x4, and my Mom wanted a family oriented truck. This Suburban fit the bill.

What do you use your truck for? Stress relief

What is your favorite memory with your truck? Helping my Dad maintain it when I was little, and watching my Dad take it off road while my Mom and Sister were freaking out. (No seat belts).

Whats your favorite modification done to truck and why? Suspension. The OEM suspension was bad, and now the truck rolls along nice.

If you had one thing to do over on your build, what would it be and why? Choose a better paint. The current pain is not durable at all, and it chips to easily.

What are your future plans for your truck? Re upholster all three benches, and change the carpet out for the correct color.

What words of advice do you have to people who are just starting out with their project? 1. Time, 2. Space, 3. Money (If you are short on any one of those, you run the risk of losing interest).
Attached Images

Last edited by vectorit; 03-22-2011 at 09:53 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Str8burban

Re: Our Staff : Vectorit

Hello, was wondering were I could find the trim pieces that you have on your burb, on the bottom, does someone manufacture those?
Str8burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8burban View Post
Hello, was wondering were I could find the trim pieces that you have on your burb, on the bottom, does someone manufacture those?
You are in luck!

www.mar-k.com carries all of the 67-68 lower trim for the Suburban.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Chris,I think your story and history with that Suburban is of the best on this message board. I love that thing and just how you have it. I remember the time when these and the IH Travelalls were the only vehicles of their type. Well,the only US made and definitely the only of this size. I've never owned one,yet they have always been on my list. My dad had some Land Rovers when I was growing up,with the first being a '62 109 which is the 4-door. So,I feel I can relate some to what it must have been like for you growing up with that vehicle. This was back when such a vehicle was quite the exception to the norm. Long before the general public's broad acceptance of truck-based vehicles for family use. I think our dads were on to something good,eh? I remember,back in the van days,surfing on Cape Hatteras and seeing one parked on the beach. It looked very similar to your with wide black steel wheels and burlap curtains in the windows. I thought,Man,what an ultimate adventure machine. Those van guys ain't got nothin' on this." I got to know the guy and became fellow surfers. I still have visions of riding in that thing.
I'm glad to see you featured here and I hope you will share some more memories of your life with this noble beast.

'67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi...'The 67' (project)
'72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok...'The 72'
Tim

"Don't call me a rough cut country gentleman. I'm just a redneck"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

Tim, thank you very much for the kind words.
Yep you guessed right, growing up in the burb wasn't putting me in with the popular crowd of kids when my Mom would drop me off at school with it!

Actually hated it for a while, but by my late teens it really grew on me in a big way. That's where the love affair started I think, and then when I drove it to HS the burb was well known. Old school mates still ask me if I still have the "big old truck" after I meet them for the first time in years, so I know it's made an impression on more people than I know.

Strange huh?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

That's how it was with me and my dad's '62 Land Rover. In HS I hauled more people around to every place under the sun. Going off road was probably a first time experience for most. People still ask about that thing at reunions. My dad ended up with five. I would have liked to have one,but was scared of the parts availability,which is one of the bigger reasons I landed on Chevys. One day I realized how like my dad I was. He had five of those and I had five or so Chevy 4wds. It's a curse I tell ya! I just think it's great you have that one and keeping'er proud.

'67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi...'The 67' (project)
'72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok...'The 72'
Tim

"Don't call me a rough cut country gentleman. I'm just a redneck"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
cayoterun

Chis: I just found and read this thread. Really enjoyed it. It sounds like you might be another "old geezer" who still enjoys and appreciates old iron. Many things you mentioned, I could relate to were things I remember from my teen years of the 50s.
One thing in particular you said you like to do things different. Isn't it great to be able to pursue what appeals to you personally? It's for you own enjoyment, not to impress the crowd. Admire the other stuff, but when you are in the shop, it's only you, your memories, old music, and your truck.
Thanks for a little peek into your world. Keep on truckin' !!!!
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by cayoterun; 08-28-2011 at 11:52 AM.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
sboris

Cool story. I`ve admired your burb in your avatar for several months now,
but love the closeup! Question.. Your steel rims are exactly what im looking for.
Are they 8 or 10inch? What tire size? Hope you dont mind sharing. Thanks
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

Thanks for the compliments Shawn.

The wheels are not original to the burb, they are actually from a 1969 K20 and are 16.5x10 The tires are BFG A/T 33" tall 12.50 wide.