The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
CarJunkie

Carb problems after an impact?

I feel kind of dumb for asking this question, but its bugging me.

Yesterday morning my truck got side swiped by an infinity g35, took out my rear quarter panel on the passenger side. Well after I had to drive it to work today, I realized that the truck still is running smoothly, but I went through a quarter of a tank of gas to get to work and back today. Before it would only go through about less than an 1/8 if I kept my foot out of it.

I do know that after she hit me, the initial shock caused the truck to stall, and I had to coax it to get it started. I made absolutely sure nothing was leaking yesterday, especially fuel from carburetor, gas lines, etc.

Would the shock from the impact in the rear cause something to go wrong with the carb floats or anything?? Or is it just a fluke and I shouldn't be worried about it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Carb problems after an impact?

I would look at a lot harder for a fuel leak. If a float was jarred hard enough to cause a problem the carb would be flooding poor idle etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
CarJunkie

Ok I will take a second look. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
dznucks

i agree at looking for a tiny fuel leak around the tank and fuel supply area.

How well is your tank fastened in? Is it in the stock location behind the seat? if so, the impact could have messed something up where the fuel lines come through the cab floor.

If you have some custom fuel tank setup, check all connections and anywhere where a jolt to the frame and body could impact the fuel supply system. fuel evaporates fast.

It's doubtful a rear sideswipe would have caused enough of a impact to mess something up in the carb. unless it knocked some junk or grit loose in the system, but you would be experiencing drivability issues, not just bad milage.

Is anything dragging in the rear end? Feel the back brakes and chunk after a drive, if its overly hot you got an issue.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
CarJunkie

I checked all those things everything seems to be fine, brakes aren't hot, no raw fuel smell, no leaks, and the tank is still fastened securely if not more like permanent behind the seat lol. But I did notice this morning that now my stock oil pressure gauge is off. It's saying that when the truck is off, it's sitting at 25, and the fuel gauge is now reading that I have a half a tank again, like Saturday. And I drove it to work again today, and I didn't use a 1/4 of a tank of gas to get there and back. Would an impact mess with the gauges enough to mess with my head??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
cableguy0

it could be a ground problem now or a connector or two jarred loose.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
CarJunkie

Thank you cableguy I'll check that too. Did I ever mention I hate accidents? My truck was a perfectly fine daily driver till Saturday. Bleh. I do appreciate the feedback though guys you guys are really helping me out. But first things first. Im going to take the half axle out of the rear end and hope the splines on the shafts are ok from the impact, cause trying to find why the gauges are acting wacky is a lil less important than the rear end working the way it's supposed to. I'm sure it's ok, but it never hurts to double check.

If you guys can think of anything else I should check while I'm under there let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device