The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2002, 12:20 PM   #1
'72 Cheyenne Super

Post Question on 2002 2500HD Front Suspension

Hi all, I'm hoping one of you (especially from the snowy midwest) might know the answer to this one. I am expecting delivery of a new GMC 2500HD 4x4 (extended cab, long box, Duramax with Allison) early next week, and I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake in ordering. I ordered EVERY available option except roof marker lights, and the "snow plow prep package" (I live in Western Washington. Who needs it?!?) I know that package gives you heavier spring (torsion bar) rates in the front, but here's the question: Does it cause the front of the truck to sit higher (more level) without a load on it (i.e. plow mounted on it)? I don't like how the front sits lower than the rear (even though I know the reason for that), and I don't want to mess with cranking up the torsion bars to compensate (throws the alignment out of whack). Sorry so long. Just want to satisfy my own curiosity, and know if I should start kicking myself in the a** now. I've been waiting since late October for this rig (factory order), and I'm not about to refuse it and start all over again!
Old 02-09-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

I think all it would be is heavier springs. If you crank up the torsion bars it will just give you a rougher ride, but you can get it re aligned.

------------------
72 Chevy C/10
87 Chevy Silverado 4X4
www.geocities.com/chevylwb/chevylwb.html
Aberdeen South Dakota

72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
Nut4Trucks

I also am looking at ordering the same truck. Every program I have used including the one at the chevy website will not allow you to select the snowplow prep package with the duramax. It seems to only be available with the 8.1 Vortec big block. The springs on the front of the diesel will be heavier anyway because the duramax is heavier to begin with. The only other addition I would think is heavy duty cooling which also would be an automatic feature of a duramax equipped truck. Just my 2 cents good luck with your truck. Its not a mistake on your part if it is not an option.

------------------
72 GMC K2500
72 Chevy C20

Nut4Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 03:07 PM   #4
'72 Cheyenne Super

When I sat down with the salesman and we ran down the option list, selecting certain options either mandates, or negates certain other options. This was not the case with the snow plow prep package. But, I'm inclined to agree with you, Nut4trucks, that the heavier suspension is included with the diesel option. I'll have to wait and see. I'm just hanging on, waiting for the phone call that it's in (should be any minute, now, as today is the due date!).

I'm not real keen on cranking up the torsion bars, but a local shop who's done it before claims I can get 1" out of it without getting too stiff a ride, or limiting the suspension travel to severely. I need just a little extra clearance to fit the 17x8 rims with 33" tires without resorting to a lift kit.