The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
Happy_dan

Brake help lease

Long story short, sort of.

1968 C-20, manual drum brakes all around

Several weeks ago, I tried to flush out all the old brake fluid and bleed my brakes. I found a lot of crap in the lines when I flushed them but was able to get it done. The only issue I had was driver front bleeder did not let any fluid out. I took the bleeder out and cleaned it out and it worked.

I have been driving the truck with no problems and today drove about 80 miles. Towards the end of the ride I seemed to feel the pedal drop a bit when stopped at lights, still worked but not the high hard pedal I was getting before.

I decided I would bleed them again tonight. Started at passenger rear, went to drivers rear and then passenger front. Passenger front had a lot of dark color in the line again but it flushed out and bled fine.

Went to bleed drivers front and again, nothing came out of the bleeder. Took the bleeder out and nothing came out at all. So I disconnected the rubber line from the hard line and fluid came out of the hard line.

This leads me to believe that either the rubber line or the cylinder is clogged.
Since I have new rubber lines I figured I would change it out to see if it helped.

I am having trouble with removing the rubber line. Does it simply screw into the cylinder and can I just unscrew it from outside the drum? It is not just coming out easy and is the first thing that seems to be frozen on the truck.

Here is pictures of the new line and the old one where I was hoping I could just get a wrench on it and unscrew it.
The hole is where the bleeder goes.

I really have no experience with old drum brakes. I am wondering if I should be replacing the master and reservoir since there was so much junk in there.
Maybe even need to replace the lines?

Looking for advice here.

Inside the drums looked really good when I had them off last time.

The wetness on here is just penetrating fluid to get the screw out that holds the drum on.
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote