The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Southpa

Weepy water pump

<--- not me, the pump. Yes, a steady drip, drip out of the weephole when its hot. Haynes says its time to change it when that happens. Its no wonder as its one of the original pieces on the engine since I bought it 8 yrs ago. Anyway, I have the alt on the passenger side of the the motor and all the brackets for it are mounted on the water pump. Is this a different style water pump than the stock 1970 one? When I go to purchase a new or reman. one what should I ask for?

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

When the seals go they cry that's why there's a hole there silly. I's get a new one remans usually give you more trouble than they're worth (reman. in Mexico, cheap labor) Too bad huh. Sounds like you have a lwp long water pump. That's what I'd ask for. You can measure it too, but I forgot the differences in measurement between a short and long wp. Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Duh, I forgot to mention tell them all the options you have (ie a/c, p/s and always bring in old part to compare to the new one no matter what you tell them. The eye is stronger than words!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #4
lofly'a

if you really want a durable water pump, here's what ya do, if you have means to disassemble the pump, tear it down and get the numbers off the pump and seal (if there are no numbers on them bring them to the parts guy, he'll match em up......cheap foreign junk), go down to your local pump/seal dealer and buy the best seal and bearing you can find. you probably will never need to change the pump again (costs about 10 bucks). my bro-in-law works for a component rebuilder in texas and he says their rebuild cost in parts on average for a water pump is less that 2 bucks but a rebuilt chevy pump costs on average about 20 bucks around here for a lifetime unit (lifetime - 1 year if you're lucky)
make your own gasket and rebuild and you'll have atop of the line water pump that is likely better than new, cuz even new gm pumps have a high failure rate. i've had 4 new chevrolets in the last 10 years and never got more than 5 years out of a pump.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 08:54 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Southpa, if you have the alt mounted pass side, you have a 73 up pump. I havent had too much luck with rebuilts.....you are back to square 1 in a yr or 2 (if you are lucky). I have got several new pumps through Advanced Auto parts, & have had good luck with them(in the $40 range). Im not sure if that will help in your neck of the woods on parts, so best i say is good luck...crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Lightbulb

Yeah if you have the means I would do what lowfly'a said. It's the most economical and will last a lot longer. Pull your seals and bearing and check the numbers on them. They should have the numbers written right on 'em and it'll make it easier on the guys at the bearing shop, if there's one close by. You'll get better parts than the remans. built in mexico, and save some dough in the process. You might want to get a machine shop to press in the new bearing and seals you definitely don't want to tweak those trying to put 'em in without the proper tools. You'll be right back to square one if ya tweak 'em.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
lofly'a

i always use a bearing heater to install bearings, but if you don't have one you can use your oven (wear welding gloves). oh, and you can freeze the shaft for an installation so easy you swear you've done something wrong. i do it all the time at work.....i rebuild a lot of pumps of all varieties and types. this can be applied to almost anything to ease in installation and prevent damage, but remember to heat only hot enough to install to avoid changing the molecular structure of the metal. i know that may sound like a load of sh**t to some of you, but take some advise from experience, it's true. since this is a sealed bearing, heat it to about 140deg. F to avoid losing lube and ruining seal, and if you can, freeze the shaft overnight before assembling.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:57 PM   #8
Southpa

Thought I'd give a little closure to this thread.
I found the right pump and installed it today. One of the easiest jobs I ever did on this truck, despite the high wind and rain, lol. I even managed to paint the front of the engine.

In Canada most of the parts are remanufactured in Ontario. I don't know if the work is done by Mexicans there, or what kind of bearing kits they use. But if it conks out this time next year I'll be sure to follow up on your advice, thanks!

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 12-11-2002 at 08:59 PM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote