The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
JoeKan

Pictures of Gas Tanks

Okay, here's pictures of the two gas tanks that I have on my 72 burb. As per an earlier post I have on whether or not I should replace, re-line, or leave alone my tanks. I'm "thinking" that the first picture (main gas tank) is not original because it looks to be in fairly good shape.
I'm also thinking that the reserve tank (second picture) is an add-on. The reason being is it seems to have brakets welded on to hold the reserve that doesn't seem to be factory done (IMHO). Also, can you see the drain plug on the bottom? I don't think that is normal? or is it??
Any suggestions? I'm seriously thinking of taking the line off at the gas pump and pouring gas into the tank to see what comes out.
What say you??
Thanks again for the helps.
Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by JoeKan; 04-02-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
JoeKan

Re: Pictures of Gas Tanks

Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Are you tearing down your burb for restoration, or are you just driving it and enjoying it the way it is?

If you plan to restore it, then I'd yank all that out and put in a new tank. I did that on mine, and I see you have the same hitch system I had. To which I had to torch it out, and lightened the load a couple hundred pounds.

If you plan to just drive it, and enjoy things the way they are for the most part. Then I would just leave things be, after making sure that all of the lines are safe.

Though, if you find that the rear tank is rusty... I would try to make a decision on removing it and the hitch system, then even think about replacing the other tank with a new OEM style one. I'd then go with a new hidden hitch, if a hitch was still needed.

That's my way of thinking... Projects like this, I usually go all out on them.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
rsavage

Joe,
The first tank is the stock tank. Second is an aftermarket. If you have rust but your stock tank isn't leaking, you could empty it out (I actually use a squeeze pump that I have form a Kero heater with a hose extension on it) by transferring the gas to cans, then dropping it down. ( do not use ANY electrical driven pump - even a drill pump to empty gas and do it outside in a well ventilated area. Once the tank is dropped and empty, pull the sending unit out and clean the inside well with soap and water. After it is dried, You can coat the inside of the tank with an epoxy that is specifically made for coating gas tanks. NAPA has it. You pour a couple of quarts inside, tape off all holes and roll the tank in every direction until all surfaces are coated and it has set. I did this in a 52 Chris Craft gas tank and it worked well. Obviously, the tank has to be solid. If not, buy a replacement. If it were mine, I would get rid of that aftermarket tank. If you don't want to remove it, just eliminate it from the system. Good luck - keep us posted.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
JoeKan

Thanks again Vectorit and Rsavage. I'm thinking of putting gas in it and seeing what happens. I'm tired of agonizing over this.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Here are a few pics of my set up, just for the visual for you.
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
JoeKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Here are a few pics of my set up, just for the visual for you.
Wow, that looks awesome. Thanks so much for sharing with us your picture, I wish mine looked that nice.