The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Jimma

"Jimma" Build

I would like to start off by introducing myself, Jimma is the name givin to my truck because of how redneck and funny it is to my college buddies, yeah thats correct I am a college student that is trying to do a build that many of you take on in your own garage....Well I have a parking lot! Anyways I would like to get you all up to date on what I have done so far.

I bought Jimma from a friend for $1000. It didn't run and sat for a long time. Since when you buy something new you always look at the good, I will list those first. It had a new crate 350 that only needed a distributor, the body was relativly straight, new tires, alot of potential and the back was full of parts which just needed to be put back on and a 12 point cage. Picture below from the day I bought it.

Now the bad which is realized after you own it, the bed, floors and bracing are shot (found out after taking the top off), the T-case is an NP203, the electrical is hacked, and there are alot of hillybilly fixes like hockey pucks for body bushings, rivits, expanding foam and caulking (all of which when removed took away from the soundness of the the truck)

But non the less I had my daily driver!

The first thing I did was put in the cage in. I figured I would like to have something solid on the truck! This was my first attempt at doing something like this?

As my daily driver/project I ran into a little thing called rain! After a trip to the local fabric store and $50 later. I made a bikini top out of waterproof vinal for boat seats and industrial strength velcro. And it still works like a champ through its 2nd season in service!

Then I wanted to get rid of those goofy van seats so I got a couple of racing buckets and 4points and welded up some seat brackets.

So that brings everyone up to date on the truck. Now lately the truck has been vibrating its self apart (damn hockey pucks). So I decided that I needed a parts truck to donate the bed, floors and patch panels. So I bought a 1972 Blazer CST for $500. I will have pictures this weekend! But the Blazer is packed full of rust free fenders, replacement floorboards, and the firewall/windshield rail has no rust. So I think that I scored pretty well! Now I just need to get the two together and make one nice truck!
Jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Re: "Jimma" Build

Welcome from Michigan as well.

Sounds like you got a good deal for this part of the country. Us folks here from the "enchanted mitten" do not have much of a choice of parts without rust, so nice find on your parts truck.

Where in the state are you at and what school do you go to.

Good luck, thanks for the pics and we're here for ya.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
DANTES JIMMY

welcome from indiana
its gonna look good
tell your buddys to piss off
its yours and its cooler than there camry or taurus
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTES JIMMY View Post
welcome from indiana
its gonna look good
tell your buddys to piss off
its yours and its cooler than there camry or taurus
Well said D.J.

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Jimma

I go to Kettering University up in Flint.

I am looking to go back to a more stock look with a little bit of a lift. I am not much of a mudbogger and that is the way this truck started out as and what it looks like with the cage. Once I actually get some good metal from my parts truck, I am not going to put the cage back in because I don't want to put the hole through it.

Now that I have two, I can't decide what I should build? I could either do a Blazer CST or the Jimmy. Personally I like the Jimmy front better but the CST is cool because of all the package. I am not too familiar with what all the CST involved but I know that the Blazer I have has AC, badges, nice seats and a heavier top then my black one. Thats another thing, the black one off of the Jimmy is a single wall top and the one off of the Blazer is white and double walled. Which is better? Which color should I go with?

Out of the two what is the rarest? Blazer CST or Jimmy?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimma View Post
I go to Kettering University up in Flint.

I am looking to go back to a more stock look with a little bit of a lift. I am not much of a mudbogger and that is the way this truck started out as and what it looks like with the cage. Once I actually get some good metal from my parts truck, I am not going to put the cage back in because I don't want to put the hole through it.

Now that I have two, I can't decide what I should build? I could either do a Blazer CST or the Jimmy. Personally I like the Jimmy front better but the CST is cool because of all the package. I am not too familiar with what all the CST involved but I know that the Blazer I have has AC, badges, nice seats and a heavier top then my black one. Thats another thing, the black one off of the Jimmy is a single wall top and the one off of the Blazer is white and double walled. Which is better? Which color should I go with?

Out of the two what is the rarest? Blazer CST or Jimmy?
First of all, I'm about 25 miles due west of you. Secondly, the choice is yours. I believe the single will tops are more desirable because of their weight and I would think that the Jimmy would be more rare than the Blazer, but I'm sure there will be more guys chiming in with ore info for you. But ultimately the decision is yours and what you like.

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Nice rig and welcome from KY.
If you want the easiest way out. Build whichever is in better shape. Like ya said, your doing the work in a parking lot. Ain't nothin' easy about that. I started my build outside..... If the Jimmy is what ya really want then go that direction. In the end you have to look at it everyday so its up to you. You can't go wrong with either one, both are rare and worth alot. Keep postin' your progress and pics.
How about some more pics on how you mounted up your bikini top. You mentioned velcrow.....

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Jimma

I could get some pictures but it is really nothing special, I literally took a strip of Velcro and stuck it across the window rail and and the bottom of the top. I did the same thing for the roll bar so I could wrap it around tight. To tighten it up to where it won't collect water I use the tie straps. I never intended on it being a long term solution, just something that would get me back and forth from work without getting wet. But the adhesive on the Velcro has held up from getting soaked and baking in the sun and has never let go of either the rail or top. I even drive it down the highway and all and it still has never come undone. If I have time I would go back and make another one that does a little better job at bridging the gap between the door glass and top.

Quote:
First of all, I'm about 25 miles due west of you. Secondly, the choice is yours. I believe the single will tops are more desirable because of their weight and I would think that the Jimmy would be more rare than the Blazer, but I'm sure there will be more guys chiming in with ore info for you. But ultimately the decision is yours and what you like.
Where exactly are you located?

I was wonder if anyone that has a straight body could measure the gap between the bed side to the where the door hinges fasten, I just want to get a rough estimate at how bad mine are sagging because the doors are hard to shut.

Last edited by Jimma; 06-04-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
hotrodhomi

nice blazer. You might want to add some bracing to that angle iron you bolted your seat to. You would want it to come loose in a roll over or crash.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

to the board from Mid-MO!!!

Good luck with the build, looks like a great project!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

If the blazer is solid I think you would be better off building that one and if you still want a jimmy all you have to do is swap front ends out.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
70rs/ss

Put the Blazer tub on the Jimmy frame, do whatever little stuff is needed to drive the Jimmy and work on the Blazer tub (rust) then when the Blazer tub is done (rust fixed) pull the Jimmy tub and set the Blazer tub in it's place. It is tough to do any repair let alone rust/floors/firewall etc and still keep it a DD. Do the Blazer tub up and you can drive the Jimmy the whole time, then do a big weekend thrash and swap tubs, then you are never on foot for too long.

Good luck, you stole it for a G!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

You don't lack ambition! Good luck.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
ClassicJimmy
FNG to resto/mod world!

I'm partial to the Jimmy. Seems more & more are being converted to Blazers which just makes mine more rare. I like the looks of the Jimmy too. A loaded CST is worth a pretty penny, but I'd build what I personally like over what might be worth more.

Welcome to the board from the Northwest!
04 Nissan Titan ECSB Off Road - sold & missed
13 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck) - sold
16 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck)
ClassicJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
DANTES JIMMY

its hard to beat four headlights but some people prefer the blazer front end
do what you like the best and what is in the best shape as far as tubs i would start with the one that has the best front floor and torsion boxes because as anybody on this board will tell you the front floor and the torsion boxes are probably the most critical areas as far as structure and ride
they for sure the most difficult to repair there is NO way i would do this in a parking lot of a dorm or apartment
i would go rent a u-store or some kind of local warehouse space to tackle that
but hey you know what i guess now that i think about it i used to do a bunch of wrenching under a carport at my old apartment
good luck bro
you have definitley found the spot for good info on these vehicles
i started mine last year and there isnt a bunch of nicer and more knowledgible people on this earth than right here dont be afraid to ask because somebody on here has done it or had it tore apart at one point in time or another
good luck
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Jimma

Here are some pictures of the rust that I am dealing with on the Jimmy and a couple of the Blazer that I picked up for $500. Let me know if you think I did good? The front of the truck is in the bed!

The reason I asked about the firewall is ( I am guessing the whole thing has to come out) but the windsheild rail is toast. The one on the Blazer is perfect....

Old 06-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
jaros44sr

JMHO, but the chevy looks tobe in way better shape. Plus you won't have to deal with the windshield. If the pics. are indicative of the rest of the jimmy it's toast, you did way better on the purchase of the blazer...post up more pics of the blazer bad areas, rocker just looks like a bad install by the PO, torsion boxes are a critical area so look closely at them

Good Luck on your progress, and keep posting up pics of your build

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Build the blazer and swap the jimmy front clip on is what I'd do.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Jimma

I have a whole lot of pictures!!! I haven't been able to see what all was in the back yet due to the blazer is 45 min. away and my dad has been in town all week. It has been killing me knowing that I bought the truck and didn't know what all was piled in the back....but I pulled it all out and found some great stuff!

I also took more pictures of the blazer's bad parts.....I know it is rough but I am hoping that there is a lot of stuff I can resale and make up for what I bought it for?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
Jimma

Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
Jimma

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #22
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My opinion, is work on the rust on the blazer tub as it sits. Drive the jimmy as you have been. When the blazer tub is up to snuff, swap the bodies. As far as the tops go, pick which one is in better shape and use that.

Front sheetmetal? Use what you want. If the Jimmy front is what you want but too rusted, just find new fenders.

On the left over parts, I'd look for another frame and cut the front off to replace the bent stuff, put it all together as much as possible and sell it. The parts board here usually works real good for buying or selling.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote