The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
DransportGarage

Re: 4L60 (700R4) DIY Rebuild

I scrounged a few hours today to work on the trans, and it is "essentially complete". The day started off with an enhancement of the servo install tool. (See original tool in post #59.)

Here's the servo install tool. I just used two scrap pieces of metal and a couple of nuts and bolts. Even with the tool, I could not get the snap ring on. As it turns out, the band was too tight. The Transgo instructions were not clear, and when I set up the washers for the servo I did not install the cover. I had just pushed on the piston assembly. Once I tried to do the final installation it was apparent, because the tailshaft would not turn, that you can't push hard enough on the assembly to seat the band. I re-did the adjustment procedure and ended up taking out two more washers. All is now OK. Tool worked great.

In order, I then installed:
1) Case checkballs
2) Governor and converter screens (not covered in ATSG manual!)
3) 3-4 accumulator
4) spacer plate & gaskets
5) 1-2 accumulator
6) Auxilliary valve body (also disassembled & cleaned this unit)
7) Throttle (TV) lever and bracket assembly
8) Valve body & manual valve link
9) Fwd clutch feed pipe
10) Case electrical connector
11) Lockup solenoid & wiring harness
12) Detent spring

All of this is covered in the manual. I did not use the pinless accumulator pistons I had bought since the original pins and bores were in great shape.

Here I am on step five of the above sequence, ready to install the 1-2 accumulator assembly. I show the heavier of the two accumulator springs being installed after the spacer plate. The lighter-duty one is below the plate. Be sure you keep track of where these two springs go, because the manual does not give you any info differentiating them.

And here is the completed work, ready for the filter.

I had previously installed the governor and tailshaft housing. so I have to install only the following:
1) Filter, gasket, magnet & pan
2) Side pressure plug
3) Speedometer (VSS) sensor
4) Filler tube
5) Shift lever

...but for the purposes of this thread, the assembly is complete. I will reference this thread in my build thread that I will be starting in the near future. I will also revisit here when the truck runs, to report on the health of the trans, but that is at least a year away. I hope this has helped those who will be building their first 4L60!

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote