The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
repeeler

Changing radiator support

I am in the middle of installing an Old Air system in my 71. When I took all the parts off to do this I noticed the inner fender and radiator support is totally rooted out right under the battery. I decided that I would change these out while I have all the A/C plumping, grill and radiator out already. My question; I noticed that the support has body type mounts on the bottom. Are there special precautions I need to take while swapping this part out? I assume I will have to support the fenders in the front in some way. Any advise to make this go smoothly will be appreciated.
2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
gkesseru

Re: Changing radiator support

If your hood is off, it won't hurt to have your fenders unsupported in the front. The fenders are pretty strong. When putting it back together, put the support back on the frame but don't tighten the support mount bolts until the fenders and inner fenders have been bolted to the support.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
repeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
If your hood is off, it won't hurt to have your fenders unsupported in the front. The fenders are pretty strong. When putting it back together, put the support back on the frame but don't tighten the support mount bolts until the fenders and inner fenders have been bolted to the support.
I was hoping to keep the hood on. Really do not want to take it off unless I need to.
2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
swamp rat

I'm in the process of changing out my cab and radiator mounts, almost ready to do my first lift soon.. Long story..

My radiator mounts were totally rotted and missing chunks to the point you could see the sleeve inside.. Anyway my plan is to use some 2X6X14" boards for a base to sit a bottle jack on and then with a 2X4X14" in length for against the bottom of the radiator support, jack up on the center or just off center of the radiator support between the frame rails.

I plan to raise one side of my cab and the radiator support at the same time as i understand you don't have to raise them that far.. I did take my hood off but it may be possible if you have 2 or 3 jacks working together, i cant say for sure..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
gkesseru

To get the rad support out you need to spread the front ends of the fender wide. If the hood is still on, then it will hold the fenders together. It's not that big a deal to remove the front fenders, but the hood should be off first. You could prop up the hood and remove one fender, but make sure the hood wont' fall.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote