The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #76
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: 84 Crew Cab Rebuild

the firewall is all done now primed and ready for paint and sound denting. i painted the inside of the cab also so it getting there my buddy did a great job on the firewall

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #77
GmtGmt

Updates 7/20-10

Was out Cutting up the old Cab.

got the Dash out and got it half way tach weld inplace.

Got the Passenger Side rear-Piller and right rear rockers done just got to prime them now now

The Right Front Rocker Gone lol

the Door Jams Passenger side not good

Front Cut anyone?

its slowy getting there
still need to drill out the spot weld on the cab supports on the front cut as i need to transfer them to the new cab as they are shot

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #78
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Keep plugging along. You're getting there! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Or is that the headlight on a freight train?

Looking good man.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #79
GmtGmt

got alot done the last few days.
cab corners.
gave the fire wall body sealer in the place i have welded.
got new rocker panels home made look awesome just got to weld them in
Windshield frame done.
dash done.

Pics will follow today

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #80
GmtGmt

Pics of the little progress i made in the last few days

just hung the fender and door on
the door is on because i need it to make the corner look nice an the roof part also

put body sealer behind the dash in the places we had welded so water wont come in.

Looks messy but have cleaned it up and it will be covered in paint and dynomat kinda stuff

still got to tach the inside of the the inner rockers

and replace some inner rocker at the end of the cab and replace the cab support what a PAIN in the a$$

New Rocker Panels fits like a glove

The Right side rear quater done just got to prime it

Left Cab corner welded, primed sanded and DONE

Quote:

Last edited by GmtGmt; 07-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #81
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice progress! Were you ever able to get a patch made for your LR door area? If you do still have the roof section from your old cab, I would not hesitate for a second to cut the parts out of it and fit them back in your cab. The RH rear door upper door jamb looks much worse. Good work though! It is coming a long nicely!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #82
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice progress! Were you ever able to get a patch made for your LR door area? If you do still have the roof section from your old cab, I would not hesitate for a second to cut the parts out of it and fit them back in your cab. The RH rear door upper door jamb looks much worse. Good work though! It is coming a long nicely!
yes i still have the roof from the old cab im thinking of transfer the parts from the old roof over

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #83
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm guessing that will be your best plan of attack to repair that the fastest. That RH side looks real nasty.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #84
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Looks good keep up the great work.
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #85
GmtGmt

A little update from today Friday got the inner and outer rocker on the left welded in.

i know it looks like they are dented but they are not

Quote:
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #86
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Have you thought about supercharging the 6.2 instead of twin-turbo?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #87
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Have you thought about supercharging the 6.2 instead of twin-turbo?
yeap im planing on that insted i though i posted that allready
for now im just going to run it N/A until i get abit more money on my hand

Quote:
Old 07-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #88
GmtGmt

Did some more work tonight

got my Exhurst Manifolds painted came out really good.

Got the firewall done

Mounted the Fuel Filter.

and primed part of the fender i have been working on for a while

(Before)

Quote:
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #89
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I have a few ideas for you, if you dont mind.

1. Get the RACOR 645 Spin-on fuel filter/water separator. It will save you money and your engine will last longer.

2. While you have the engine out of the truck, upgrade it before you get the S/C.

3. ARP 6.5 diesel head studs

4. DSG Stud girdle kit

5. DSG Gear drive timing (If money is no option)

6. Replace your stock weak cast nodular iron crankshaft with either a cast steel($400 stonger than stock) or a forged steel($1000 and strongest) one.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. If you want the links to any of these parts let me know. Which supercharger kit are you buying? Are you building your own?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #90
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
I have a few ideas for you, if you dont mind.

1. Get the RACOR 645 Spin-on fuel filter/water separator. It will save you money and your engine will last longer.

2. While you have the engine out of the truck, upgrade it before you get the S/C.

3. ARP 6.5 diesel head studs

4. DSG Stud girdle kit

5. DSG Gear drive timing (If money is no option)

6. Replace your stock weak cast nodular iron crankshaft with either a cast steel($400 stonger than stock) or a forged steel($1000 and strongest) one.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. If you want the links to any of these parts let me know. Which supercharger kit are you buying? Are you building your own?
Thanks i allready have plans for a custom build Mech 6.5 for it i just need to find a good block and heads

Got my patch panel from my old cabs roof just got to weld it in and im done with the left side of the cab

now only have the holes for the roof lights, passenger rear door jam very bad and one slight hole in the rockers also got to weld in the cab support and im done with rust.

theres light at the end of the thunnel now

Little Teaser

Quote:
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #91
GmtGmt

1982 Choo Choo Custom
Complete with
Sony 8" Pushbutton Color TV
Whistler Radar Detector
Bommeran Antenna
Quartz Digital Clock

Quote:
Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #92
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
1982 Choo Choo Custom
Complete with
Sony 8" Pushbutton Color TV
Whistler Radar Detector
Bommeran Antenna
Quartz Digital Clock

im liking the brown better
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #93
GmtGmt

got the panel welded in, grinded down, primed and put short hair fiberglass filler on it first just got to let it dry sand it all down and finish off with bondo
then im done with the driver side

i know its not a pro job and proberly not the best result but i cant do better sadly

Real Men arnt afraid of Rust, Very True but it really sucks
Watching this really motivates me

Quote:

Last edited by GmtGmt; 08-02-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #94
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice progress.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #95
GmtGmt

Sanded the fiberglass down and gave it the first coat of Bondo allready have that sanded down and just put the secound coat on now and sand it down later this afternoon.
the door fits great even thought it dosent look like it in the pic but its just put on loose

Also Finished Cutting out the Door Jam for the passenger side going to cut the old one of the cab and repairing the roof on that side tonight

Also got the Front Clip put together just got get the last inner fender done and get them painted also bearly fits in the shop lol

Quote:
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #96
GmtGmt

Quote:
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #97
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Did you weld the cab roof patch in, or just fiberglass it in?
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #98
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Did you weld the cab roof patch in, or just fiberglass it in?
welded, grind, prime and them Fiberglass

Quote:
Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #99
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice job!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #100
GmtGmt

Not much Done today Really
finaly got the cab bolted down tight

Got The Left Exhurst Manifold

Got the Pedal Asembly mounted and Steering Column also in place

Got Hydroboost Asembly mounted also got the front brakes bleed still to get the right
rear shoes reshoes lol and mounted the new wheel cylinder.

Also forgot to mention i scoored these interior parts out of a Centurion Conversion Van that was scrapped the guy i bought these from bought to get the seats and engine very nice leather seats it was a F@rd so no worries and it was a rusted worse then mine
idk if im going to use these or not but i thought it maby good to use as guide to how build something alike

Quote: