The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
burchdiesel

81 CCLB Camper Special Build

Hello, Everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just finished the process of rebuilding my motor, trans, and transfer cases, so the next step is fitting everything in truck, setting clearances and cross members and then disassembly for sandblasting the frame and getting the cab Line-x'd. I'm going to rewirethe truck and put a brand new interior (with 80's conversion van bucket seats). I'll post some pics when I'm able. Apparently, my security token is FUBAR. Anywho, I'll give a link to my YouTube page. There are a bunch of videos on my truck and the donor I got my motor from.
Motor:
Late 91 intercooled Cummins 6BT, P-Pump conversion/CR exhaust manifold and HE351 turbo
Trans:
96 Chevrolet NV4500, upgraded brass synchros, upgraded Dodge fat input shaft with SB clutch components
Transfer cases:
ORD NP203/205 Doubler, triple sticked, upgraded shift rails (front and rear wheel drive independently), pending a High Angle Driveline parking brake for the rear drive shaft
Axles:
D60/14 Bolt with 4:10 gears. May regear to 3:73s as I will be daily driving on the highway.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ...C4BI5ygsL1fdPg
burchdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
burchdiesel

Re: 81 CCLB Camper Special Build

Here's a picture of the truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
burchdiesel

Here are a couple of pictures of the 6BT after the rebuild. The motor had approximately 300K-400K miles on it. My original plan was to pull the motor from the donor truck, reseal it and continue with the swap into my Camper Special. That plan was quickly thrown out when I found a crankshaft thrust bearing sitting in the oil pan when i took it off to change the seal. I chose to rebuild the motor and I'm glad I did. When the motor was disassembled, all the bearings were already into the babbit and the cylinders had some light scoring.

The motor was put back together with everything at factory tolerances except the pistons. I had to go .20 over with the pistons after the machinist finished removing the scoring. I'm very pleased with how the motor turned out. I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel on the first start today.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ...C4BI5ygsL1fdPg
Attached Images

Last edited by burchdiesel; 08-06-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
smpoulin01

Great start, let the fun begin!