The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #26
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Dropped, Wheels, Exhaust

Okay, I gotta tell you that I love the look of your truck. Mine was black when it was new in '69. I have toyed the past couple of years with doing it up in black suede, but had wanted to go with glossy black before that. Seeing yours has added more fuel to the shiny fire. Thanks. I have the 8 and 10-inch combo, too. I had my wheels powder-coated in red, then installed 245-60's in front and 275-60's in the back. With hot rod trim rings and police caps, I get positive comments, too. Unfortunately, the paint hasn't been done yet...waiting on Dad's estate to come out of probate in late September...money without any assigned debt....at long last.

Your truck is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
stepn67

I keep coming back to take a look at your truck. Man I love that truck! On the before shot, whats the tire size and wheel offset.
stepn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepn67 View Post
Mark, That rig is beautiful either way. I'm still in the build process of my 67 and couldn't decide whether I wanted to drop. Seeing your before shot made my mind up, thanks. Is the tire size in the before shot 275 all around?
Thanks. So which way is your mind made? Stock or Dropped? Yes, 275/60 on 15x10 on all four corners.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepn67 View Post
I keep coming back to take a look at your truck. Man I love that truck! On the before shot, whats the tire size and wheel offset.
4" backspace and whatever that translates to offset???
Old 06-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Okay, I gotta tell you that I love the look of your truck. Mine was black when it was new in '69. I have toyed the past couple of years with doing it up in black suede, but had wanted to go with glossy black before that. Seeing yours has added more fuel to the shiny fire. Thanks. I have the 8 and 10-inch combo, too. I had my wheels powder-coated in red, then installed 245-60's in front and 275-60's in the back. With hot rod trim rings and police caps, I get positive comments, too. Unfortunately, the paint hasn't been done yet...waiting on Dad's estate to come out of probate in late September...money without any assigned debt....at long last.

Your truck is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Thanks. I should have gone with 245's in front as you did. That would have given me even more rake than I have, so I guess I'm good. I tried to get 6" in the back, but because I have leafs, it was a no go (they hit the bed bottom - using 4" drop leafs and drop shackles - the shackles are good for another 1" or 2" - had to go only 1" more).

Would love to see your truck with the red rallys. Any pics?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #31
see ten
WTB this ad

Mark, That really turned out good! It seems like there is always someone who prefers them at the factory altitude (and that's OK to) but I like em a little low. You've really got the dazed and confused look going now!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #32
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10 View Post
Beautiful truck! . Did you use a 1" drop spring and a 2.5" spindle???
Thanks. Yes, springs from ECE, McGaughy spindles from GMCPauls.

This is what I did for the tucked exhaust (this is NOT my truck, but what I copied from 'Glock35ipsc'). There was a communication breakdown with the exhaust shop. Mufflers were supposed to be after the crossmember (unlike the photo). Now they are right under the cab and at the wrong RPM, do get "droney". Will try and get some exhaust and interior pics this Sunday at the car show we're going to.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #33
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Mark, That really turned out good! It seems like there is always someone who prefers them at the factory altitude (and that's OK to) but I like em a little low. You've really got the dazed and confused look going now!
Thanks for the compliment and direction SeeTen. I am real happy with the drop. I was able to find all 3 scales of the Reel Ride Dazed trucks. Got to get a picture of all 4 together.

Since there are so many comments about liking the stock height/painted rallys, here are a few more pics of the before shots (just to confuse the undecided).

There are so many awesome trucks on this board, and very few are alike. Guess that's why some of you have more than one, including SeeTen with the sky high K10 and in the weeds C10 (only in my dreams!).
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #34
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Before pix are nice, but the stance is wrong, at least to my tastes. My truck has the same stance as yours, with the 2.5/4.0 drop. I can go one more inch in front, with springs. Two inches in back is doable on mine, with the coils. All my stuff came from ECE. On my '96, there is a 2.0/4.0 drop from DJM. With the leaf springs in the back, it doesn't take much for the leaves to contact the bed crossmember that is just above the upper side of the leaves. Did I mention the harshness of the ride when it hits a sudden bump? I just changed shocks from the Toxic Shocks that Godfather recommended, to stock-spec Monroe Matics. Much better ride. Bump stops above the springs have no marks on them, so I'm hoping that cutting off the crossmember extensions will help by giving a little more room to the springs when I hit a sudden pavement ripple.

I don't have any pix of my truck with the red rims. They came from Summitt Racing. The truck is still in primer, and several colors of it, at that. It ain't purty, at all.

Again, seeing your truck is a convincing argument to painting my with a shine. Yours still has all the side trim that mine came with, but I'm pulling mine off. Considering the 67-68 side trim and wheel opening moldings, as an alternative to the correct style. Chip Foose did a long wheelbase truck for a Marine on Overhaulin' and used the early style trim on the later body. It looked nice, to me.

I am also considering going to the 67 disc brake rallye cap. The police cap sits right on top of the wheel bearing cap, and was difficult to set in place. As it is, I have a small bump on the cap where the grease cup hit on the back side. Your truck came with discs, but mine is the ECE conversion. Did you have any interference with the police caps on your front wheels?

Again, nice ride. You are to be congratulated. Got air?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #35
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

I don't think you could go wrong with that truck what ever kind of wheel you put on it!!!

I think I like the after alittle better but, I will have to droll over it some more and let you know later.

More pic's would be awesome man inside, under hood, anyway you please. I saved all that you posted just so I could look at them at a moments notice and print some and hang them in the garage for insparation

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #36
xmitsu10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Before pix are nice, but the stance is wrong, at least to my tastes. My truck has the same stance as yours, with the 2.5/4.0 drop. I can go one more inch in front, with springs. Two inches in back is doable on mine, with the coils. All my stuff came from ECE. On my '96, there is a 2.0/4.0 drop from DJM. With the leaf springs in the back, it doesn't take much for the leaves to contact the bed crossmember that is just above the upper side of the leaves. Did I mention the harshness of the ride when it hits a sudden bump? I just changed shocks from the Toxic Shocks that Godfather recommended, to stock-spec Monroe Matics. Much better ride. Bump stops above the springs have no marks on them, so I'm hoping that cutting off the crossmember extensions will help by giving a little more room to the springs when I hit a sudden pavement ripple.

I don't have any pix of my truck with the red rims. They came from Summitt Racing. The truck is still in primer, and several colors of it, at that. It ain't purty, at all.

Again, seeing your truck is a convincing argument to painting my with a shine. Yours still has all the side trim that mine came with, but I'm pulling mine off. Considering the 67-68 side trim and wheel opening moldings, as an alternative to the correct style. Chip Foose did a long wheelbase truck for a Marine on Overhaulin' and used the early style trim on the later body. It looked nice, to me.

I am also considering going to the 67 disc brake rallye cap. The police cap sits right on top of the wheel bearing cap, and was difficult to set in place. As it is, I have a small bump on the cap where the grease cup hit on the back side. Your truck came with discs, but mine is the ECE conversion. Did you have any interference with the police caps on your front wheels?

Again, nice ride. You are to be congratulated. Got air?
No issue with the police caps but we had to use spacers up front to clear the lower arms and tie rod ends. I've only driven it home from the shop (~20 miles) and can confirm the harsh ride on bumps. Yep, A/C, tilt, tach, houndstooth bench. Thanks again ChevLoRay.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

On my '69, ECE has a shock relocator kit that we installed. I have coil springs on it. and I really like the ride a lot more than my '96. On the '96, DJM has a shock relocator but in talking to them, they said it was only for use on vehicles with a flip kit. I asked they about using one on my truck, and got nothing in the negative about it. Summitt Racing sells the kit, too. I think it's about $60, or less. It is the only thing that I haven't done, and I think it is time. Check DJM's webite for info. It's not easy to find, but they do have info available.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #38
heavy71chevy

very clean my freind...very sexy
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #39
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Gorgeous truck and IMHO you dropped it exactly the perfect amount !!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #40
wibilly

perfect! you got it just right
Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #41
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Low is the way to go. You made some great improvements to s very nice truck.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #42
kombreeze

What size tires do you have on there....?????????
2006 Toyo Camry
Soon 69 Firebird 400 Convertible I'm getting it back
Soon Trailblazer or 4 Runner
kombreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 AM   #43
mexgrhd68

Nice a$$ black beauty!!!!!
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #44
one9six9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmitsu10 View Post
Thanks. I should have gone with 245's in front as you did. That would have given me even more rake than I have, so I guess I'm good. I tried to get 6" in the back, but because I have leafs, it was a no go (they hit the bed bottom - using 4" drop leafs and drop shackles - the shackles are good for another 1" or 2" - had to go only 1" more).

Would love to see your truck with the red rallys. Any pics?
What is the rake you are talking about? I have seen it mentioned in another post too. I am a ex-motocrosser and an avid cyclist, and to someone from those two sports the rake refers to the angle of the headtube which affects the way the bike handles. Less rake makes a fast turning, fast handling bike, and more rake makes a slower turning, slower handling bike.
I know that that changing the tires would not effect these trucks this way so what are you refering to when you say more or less rake?

Thanks,
Keith
one9six9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #45
see ten
WTB this ad

In cars/trucks rake refers to how much lower the front is than the back. Guys who want more rake want the front much lower than the back. I wanted less rake, kind of a level look.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #46
killer71

bump for 1 clean lookn truck
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote