The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Talking 68 original wiring

This is the motor and cab wiring harnesses out of my daughter's 68 step side we are building. I took it all out of the truck and pulling all the tape off to check all the connections and fixing anything I see wrong with it. I'm planning on reinstalling it all once the truck cab is back on the new frame. VetteVet these are for you sir.
The first 5 pictures are inside the cab, some of the tape still had the original knot's tied into the tape. I found the one wire going into the cluster was bad so I re crimped it. All the factory ends are still good so far as I can tell.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 68 original wiring

More of the cab wiring. I'm going to be modifing it some for AC and other stuff before I reinstall it for down the road when I do add AC and radio stuff.
I tied wrapped it up where the tape would make junctions in the harness so I can put it back like the original was. Are as close as I can. I cleaned the fuse holders up and it wiped all the writing off if anyone has a good idea on how to put it back on I'd like to hear about it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 68 original wiring

When we first got the truck home I put a battery in it to try and see if it would start are get lights and such to work. I found out real quick the wiring wasn't working. Well I know why now after pulling the cluster plug out. It was covered in paint.
The truck was a 3 speed on the column but we are going back with a 700-R4 so I'll be adding the pig tail of the purple wires for the NSS on the column.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 10-28-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 68 original wiring

Now for the motor side harness I'm doing the same thing but it will be more modified than the cab. I'm going with the internal alternator so I'm stripping the wires out of the harness for the external one and going to run the red wire and brown wire straight over to the alternator. Also going to make my own head light relay mod also and have it as a plug and play. Will tear the resistor wire out of the harness and put the straight wire for the HEI in as well do away with the old wires all together.

Please if anyone see's something I missed let me know. If you think of something I should add are take away please post it. I'm at least 2-3 weeks before it's ready to be wired.

I'm thinking about finding a first year truck that GM went to the plastic fuse holder blocks if anyone knows the correct year.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 10-29-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 68 original wiring

Man that is a lot of bad stuff there. I think I would call one of the harness makers and ask them to make me a harness with the mods that you want and the newer style fuse holder.
I know they are expensive but it would save you a lot of time and headaches. JMO

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
dmjlambert

Re: 68 original wiring

I trust glass fuses more than blade fuses. Do you remember rubber stamp kits that came with tweezers and hundreds of little letters that you can press into a holder to make a rubber stamp with a custom message? I would bet you could use one of those with some white paint to renew the labels on the fuse holder. I have not tried it, but when you mentioned the writing came off that is what I thought of. It may be overkill. With a white gel pen and a steady hand you can probably just write on it.

You can clean up terminals and fuse holders with wire brushes and a Dremel tool, and replace any terminals that you find too bad. I am a fan of replacing sections of wire and solder the new section in place and use heat shrink tubing. That makes a very good patch that you will never need to address again. I'm not a fan of any type of crimp repair connector. I remove those if I ever find them. If I crimp a new terminal on the end of a wire, I also solder it, before inserting it in the plastic terminal.

Clean wiring with a good cleaner such as 409, and inspect it. Re-wrap it with non-adhesive vinyl tape just like the factory did. If sections of the wiring are still in the factory non-adhesive vinyl tape, and don't appear damaged, it is probably suitable to leave it as is. But if you want it to be really nice, take the tape off and re-wrap with new non-adhesive tape.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 68 original wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Man that is a lot of bad stuff there. I think I would call one of the harness makers and ask them to make me a harness with the mods that you want and the newer style fuse holder.
I know they are expensive but it would save you a lot of time and headaches. JMO

I wished it was in the budget, but it's just not there at least right now anyway.
It would be the easiest way though for sure.
I may could swing this though after looking. I could use all my ends and have new wiring.
21 Circuit Wiring Harness Street Universal Wire Door Locks Radio Power Windows $99.99

Upstate SC GM Truck Club