The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
superdav

"hot wire" power windows

Ive searched and couldn't find anything
I made the mistake of tearing my 84 truck apart before rolling the windows down and realized that yesterday when I started to take the windows out. All the wiring in front of the firewall is rolled up and zip tied so putting the battery back in is a little too much trouble but I have a few power supplies of various voltage laying around.
I am far from an electrician so wiring diagrams are foreign to me
Do i power the pnk/blk org/blk then power the brn/wht for passenger and drk/blu for driver they will go down?

this correct diagram?
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: "hot wire" power windows

With so much disconnected harness, the easiest way is to unplug at the motor and apply power directly to the motor.. You can use light gauge jumpers from a battery or your power supply. If the window doesn't go down, simply reverse the jumpers and re-apply the power.. Do this for each motor until the windows go down..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
With so much disconnected harness, the easiest way is to unplug at the motor and apply power directly to the motor.. You can use light gauge jumpers from a battery or your power supply. If the window doesn't go down, simply reverse the jumpers and re-apply the power.. Do this for each motor until the windows go down..

Or simply plug the power window harness back to the door harness and give the power wire that goes into the fuse box power and ground the ground terminal and use the window switch. Your gonna short something out if you you try to use jumper wires at the motor. It's a pain to get the connector in, let alone putting 2 loose wires on it.
Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
superdav

Well I unplugged the door harness and tried a 16 V power supply plugged into it and it barely made a click, next was a 12V battery the window made a noise like it wanted to move but didn’t
Over to the passenger side and it would click, didn’t even try to move
Any tips on getting the damn thing apart with a freaking window up?

ETA the truck has been sitting for 10 years and the windows sucked hard when I parked it but the regulator looks in good shape with no rust

Last edited by superdav; 10-30-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: "hot wire" power windows

You want the brown wire going to the passenger side window to have 12 volts and the ground wire connected.
Dark blue for drivers side and ground.

If your hooking into the door jam it should be a red/white wire that feeds 12 volts to both switches. The grounds should be in place if the doors haven't been messed with. Just use the window switches to operate them both.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #6
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Well I unplugged the door harness and tried a 16 V power supply plugged into it and it barely made a click, next was a 12V battery the window made a noise like it wanted to move but didn’t
Over to the passenger side and it would click, didn’t even try to move
Any tips on getting the damn thing apart with a freaking window up?

ETA the truck has been sitting for 10 years and the windows sucked hard when I parked it but the regulator looks in good shape with no rust
Between these last fee posts if it doesn't work, motors are shot or regulators binding.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
You want the brown wire going to the passenger side window to have 12 volts and the ground wire connected.
Dark blue for drivers side and ground.

If your hooking into the door jam it should be a red/white wire that feeds 12 volts to both switches. The grounds should be in place if the doors haven't been messed with. Just use the window switches to operate them both.
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Between these last fee posts if it doesn't work, motors are shot or regulators binding.
what I've concluded
Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
superdav

If I get time today I’m going to try to take it out with it up. Anybody done this without a sawzall?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
starterman99

Take the motor assembly off of the regulator then the window will slide down. Just wedge something against the glass when you take the motor off so glass does not fall and break something or catch a hand that is in the door.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
superdav

I lubed the hell out of it and let it sit for a day then used an 18 volt charger that put out about 24 volts, I had to help it them down but they moved! There was dirt mixed with grease in the inside rail plus the motors suck but it went down
Thanks everybody
Old 11-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: "hot wire" power windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
I lubed the hell out of it and let it sit for a day then used an 18 volt charger that put out about 24 volts, I had to help it them down but they moved! There was dirt mixed with grease in the inside rail plus the motors suck but it went down
Thanks everybody

Glad you got them down sir! At least you know now what you have to replace.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote