The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
The Rocknrod

Craftsman in Texas

Craftsman manufacturing tools in Texas:
http://fortworthtexas.gov/news/2019/...k-Decker-Deal/
The new plant will manufacture a range of Craftsman mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Craftsman in Texas

If the quality is good I just might start buying them again. I love my old Craftsman tools. Then they started producing junk...
Old 11-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

When I was working in Turbines I had some Proto tools, then Stanley bought Proto and I never saw them again (new).
Always had Craftsman in my home, but it's been twenty years since I bought new stuff. I'll have to check them out myself.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I bought my first set of Craftsman tools and a machinist's tool box in 1967 when I got my first real job. I was 18 years old. Now I am 70 and retired, and I still have most of the tools. Granted, I don't work 'em as hard as many of you guys, but they have held up pretty well. Had to replace the 3/8" ratchet several years ago but that's about it. Glad to see them coming back and I hope they make quality products at a reasonable price.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

My dad had Craftsman and that's what I bought since '70 or so. I had my tools stolen once in '79 so that's the oldest any of mine are. I have added tools all along right up till the end and haven't had a quality issue yet. They get the job done for the guy who uses tools as a way of life. I didn't say makes a living. I wouldn't know about that. But I do carry a mechanics tools on the work truck and they get used in construction.

I'm just glad the well known name is taking this step toward bringing manufacturing back home. Even if the tools are no better, the whole situation is. Hopefully there will be some good old USA pride coming back in the workforce and the bean counters don't go for cutting corners.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
The Rocknrod

Well said.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I went to work at a semiconductor plant in Gresham Oregon some 20 years ago and it was working in clean rooms installing lifted floors .and erecting clean rooms .. I had to buy all new tools in Metric and American box and open wrenches from all the way small to big ,, due to I could not have any rust or crud or deep scratches on them ,I wore a bunny suit with gloves and booties also... so now .. I have two sets of like brand new Craftman tools along with a lot of the same only older,, I did give a lot of the old ones to my son..
Old 11-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
67C10Step

I am still using the craftsman wrenches and sockets my dad bought for me in 1988 when I was in college.

He and my mom were in town and my sisters car needed the starter replaced. Since all three of us kids were in the same town and four hours from home my dad said, “let’s make a sears run first.” Bought me a tool box and a bunch of tools and told me to take care of my sisters stuff.

Now, my dad had been gone six months out of the year for a long time by that time. I was 19 and had been doing all the auto maintenance since I was 14. Once the word gets out in a college town that you have tools and know how to use them you get a lot of calls. Brake jobs, fuel pumps, master cylinders, I cannot remember all the parking lot jobs I did back then.

Nice to see them trying to bring it home again. I’ve got a 19 year old son in college now and I’m building him up his own tool box.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

some great news for residents of the DFW area!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
roll_the_dice

Love to see Craftsman being made in the USA again...I remember my dad breaking a Craftsman screwdriver and taking it back to Sears and got a new one no questions asked. When my dad passed away I got most of his tools along with his rolling Craftsman toolboxes. I enjoy grabbing a tool and knowing it is quality and also knowing my dad used them on his C10's over the years as well. To me Craftsman was an icon in the shade tree mechanic world when I was growing up.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #11
whitedog76

It's too bad Sears doesn't still own the Craftsman namesake anymore. Of course, you can now buy Craftsman pretty much everywhere now.

The only Sears left here in central IL is closing at the end of the year.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Indian113

When I ran my Motorcycle Shop I had a Very deep discussion about me using Craftsman versus Truck Tools. I explained that I made just as much per hour using them as I did the expensive ones and they had a lifetime warranty as well.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
RDrancher

That's good news!

Like Tim, my tools were stolen in the late 70's. I replaced my basic set with Craftsman after that, but I'll admit that I have a ton of tools from random manufacturers including HF as well. When you have to stock three trucks and the garage, sometimes you make compromises. For what it's worth, a few years ago I tried to use the Craftsman lifetime warranty and made a one-hour trip to Sears for the exchange. I was told by the manager that they don't do that anymore. Maybe that was just Sears' policy, but still pretty disappointing.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I had Capt. Knowital today telling me how foolish Lowes is for dropping the Kobalt line to sell Craftsman since it's pure crap now and Kobalt was so good. Whatever. I didn't see anything I bought Craftsman in recent years that couldn't do what I bought it to do.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
The Rocknrod

Not that I'm from Texas or anything but - Apple will build a $1 billion campus in Austin, Texas.
https://www.techspot.com/news/82856-...tin-texas.html
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Rickysnickers

And as a side note, side by for the invasion of the Californians....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Not that I'm from Texas or anything but - Apple will build a $1 billion campus in Austin, Texas.
https://www.techspot.com/news/82856-...tin-texas.html
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #17
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Craftsman manufacturing tools in Texas:
http://fortworthtexas.gov/news/2019/...k-Decker-Deal/
The new plant will manufacture a range of Craftsman mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets.
awesome
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
outfield

I got a set of Craftsmen tools as a wedding gift from a good buddy (and his family, his dad worked and retired from GM). Its about the only wedding gift I remember us receiving! That was back in 1984. I still use them all the time. 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" ratchet sets, combo wrenches up to 3/4", with tool box.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote