The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
caspear1978

Delete abs or not

I have a leaking brake line. Its in the cluster of 4 under the driver side outside the frame. The lines are rusted and i know id end up chasing one line after the other.

In my eyes it would be easier to just delete the abs module all together and run an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear. And just split tee off for the fronts.

In my head i dont see any issues with doing this.

But wondering if anyone else has done this and what issues you may have run into.

When it comes to stopping during the winter time. Im so use to slowwing down ahead of time. Ive never had my abs actually kick on.
caspear1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Delete abs or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspear1978 View Post
I have a leaking brake line. Its in the cluster of 4 under the driver side outside the frame. The lines are rusted and i know id end up chasing one line after the other.

In my eyes it would be easier to just delete the abs module all together and run an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear. And just split tee off for the fronts.

In my head i dont see any issues with doing this.

But wondering if anyone else has done this and what issues you may have run into.

When it comes to stopping during the winter time. Im so use to slowwing down ahead of time. Ive never had my abs actually kick on.
The easiest thing to do would be to replace all the brake lines. You can buy a prebent kit from GM(coated so they will never rust). They cost $80-100. You could also buy a stainless kit from dorman or inline tube for $200+. They only take 4-5 hrs to change. It would take a lot more time and money to PROPERLY bend and flare new lines to fit your truck.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

How convenient that GM sells for replacement what they should have used in the first place. In my mind they should be free on a problem that they all have. Should be a recall.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
How convenient that GM sells for replacement what they should have used in the first place. In my mind they should be free on a problem that they all have. Should be a recall.
I agree 100%. If gm didn't do anything wrong, why did they make the replacement brake lines better? The nthb dropped the ball on this one too.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
pamoffa

They rotted out on my 2003 silverado and one day lost my brakes at about 30mph and smashed into the back of a crown vic. I've always liked my abs on the silverado but don't use it in my 2001 regal I pulled the fuse out the abs was funky on that GM. I *****ed and complained to gm about the accident and sent them photos of the brake lines and they reimbursed for the repairs with a disclaimer that I could not go any further.
pamoffa is offline   Reply With Quote