The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #101
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Cheap Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
Great Thread! Wish I could remember something to contribute!
You just contributed...you brought it back to the top.
Thanks.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #102
rpmerf

I do alot of electronics work, so there are a few simple tools I keep around.

Solder 2 wires onto a reverse light bulb(an LED and 670 ohm resistor works too), cover the bottom of the bulb in heat shrink tubing so it won't short if it touches something. Put a set of spade connectors on the ends. Made a bunch of different connectors to hook on the end, alligator clips are really useful. This is great because you can hook it up and muck around with things without having to hold a test light on something. with different connectors you can also connect it in line with something.

having a couple 2 foot long wires with alligator clips on both ends are useful also.

for cheap battery cable end, put a bit of copper pipe in a vice and drill a hole in it. I usually have a couple feet laying around that I can use.

NEVER underestimate having good grounds, especially in FI cars. I will run a couple extra 2 gauge cables between the battery block and body just to be sure.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #103
rpmerf

get a paint sprayer and spray down the bottom of the truck with oil, trans fluid or hydrolic fluid. This helps get rid of squeeks, keeps everything lubed, and keeps the salt and grim off the bottom of your truck over the winter.

write the date on your oil filter, dist cap, any wear item
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #104
rpmerf

keep any jars for nuts and bolts. The giant pretzel jars are the best.

1/4" BBs make for great plugs for vac lines. Zip tie your vac lines on(very important in boosted applications)

buy CHEAP tools from the dollar store and harbor freight and leave them everywhere. its nice always having tools and not having to run around to find tools or leaving them somewhere. Keep the nice tools in the garage.

I collect rainwater from the garage into a 55 gal container. I wouldn't recommend it for drinking, but its great for washing your hands with if you dont have a water line in your garage.

speaking of water, filter the water in your house, you wouldn't believe the stuff those filters grab. Your tap water will be as good(if not better than) as store bought.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #105
JORGIE95961

Use a piece of hose as a temporary grommet

pantyhose as an emergency fan belt

i whenever i have to remove my wheels i like to set them under my truck. Incase jack stands slip.. And keeps em outa the way.

Flip your air cleaner cover upside down an get just a tad more breathin'

2x4's in your rear coils will give you a quick lift if your draggin a#$
easy way to find exhaust leak: Ductape a leaf blower to your exhaust and squirt some soapy water on the usual suspects..
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #106
xs-style

Quote:
keep any jars for nuts and bolts. The giant pretzel jars are the best.
The best jars are plastic cookie jars. oreo cookie minis come in little plastic containers for a buck each at the dollar store. Eat the cookies while working, then store your bolts in it.
1981 k20 4x4 - 5.3 swap in progress

Events attended:
Spring GOG 2011
Dale JR car show Summer 2012
Gathering at Tommys pickup parts
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #107
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I'd like to add to the storage jar thing...put you a 3/4" thick wood shelf about head height above your work bench and screw the jar lids to the bottom of it with 1/2" screws, then you have hanging clear containers up out of the way that you can see what's in em at a glance.
With a 2 foot deep shelf you can stagger 2 rows down thru there and store about all your fasteners. Easy to find what ya need and looks real cool too.
If you have done this post us a pic. Once you see this you'll have to have this setup!
I'm a renter so havn't done it....yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #108
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
I do alot of electronics work, so there are a few simple tools I keep around.

Solder 2 wires onto a reverse light bulb(an LED and 670 ohm resistor works too), cover the bottom of the bulb in heat shrink tubing so it won't short if it touches something. Put a set of spade connectors on the ends. Made a bunch of different connectors to hook on the end, alligator clips are really useful. This is great because you can hook it up and muck around with things without having to hold a test light on something. with different connectors you can also connect it in line with something.

having a couple 2 foot long wires with alligator clips on both ends are useful also.

for cheap battery cable end, put a bit of copper pipe in a vice and drill a hole in it. I usually have a couple feet laying around that I can use.

NEVER underestimate having good grounds, especially in FI cars. I will run a couple extra 2 gauge cables between the battery block and body just to be sure.
Everything you can post about elecTRICK is super valuable to me. Thank you very much!
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #109
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGIE95961 View Post
Use a piece of hose as a temporary grommet

pantyhose as an emergency fan belt

i whenever i have to remove my wheels i like to set them under my truck. Incase jack stands slip.. And keeps em outa the way.

Flip your air cleaner cover upside down an get just a tad more breathin'

2x4's in your rear coils will give you a quick lift if your draggin a#$
easy way to find exhaust leak: Ductape a leaf blower to your exhaust and squirt some soapy water on the usual suspects..
Jorgie, you are one smart dude...got any more wisdom you can share? I'm writing this stuff down as fast as I can!
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #110
flashed

WOW ,this post is my new favorite so keep them coming .Later Im going to print these handy tips and put them in a folder and keep them in my shop for future reference as I need them. When my truck comes home someday in the future I may even have a copy in the glove box.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #111
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Hey flashed, you have already taught me a thing or two...could you teach me how to print this stuff out? My hands are beatup pretty bad, even missing a piece of my right one (and I'm right handed..of course) and tryin to write all this down hurts. Typing on this crackberry is crazy hard but some things are worth the pain. This thread is worth it for sure!
Any help would help...I think we are all brothers on here.
Brad
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #112
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Easiest way I can think of to print these out would be to open a blank word document (or other text program), highlight and copy the hints, paste them on the word document, then print it out. You can just keep adding to the list.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #113
flashed

I just hit print on the computer screen and print the entire post of pages ,takes a while but worth it.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #114
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but electrolysis was a major help when redoing the front suspension in my '88 and everything was rusted from the a-arms to the t-bars. Now, this takes a few days, but believe me it works. You can look it up and do it however you want to, but the way I do it, is with either a plastic tote or a 55-gallon drum barrel, fill with water, stick some rebar in there, wrap each rebar in copper wire, connecting them together, and make sure you have a battery charger, baking soda, and steel wire or small chain in handy.

M'kay, rebar should be about 4" taller than what you're using [in my case it was a 55 gallon barrel, so, tall as hell]. Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of baking soda [I use arm & hammer], mix it until the baking soda dissolves. Clean the tops of the rebar, easiest with just a wire wheel. Wrap the copper around EACH rebar, about an inch or 2, maybe 3 above the water, then whatever you're cleaning suspend it from bar to bar with a small chain or steel wire. Take the battery charger, attach the negative clamp to whatever you're cleaning, and the positive clamp to the copper wire wrapped around the rebar. Once the battery charger goes on, the rust will slowly go away. This may take from a few hours, to a few days, but it works! It's cheap, and I think easy.
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #115
dmartin1

WOW i never knew about that rebar rust trick! thats awesome! i wonder if you could hook a chain from it to the entire truck lmao
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #116
rpmerf

I've never used electrolysis for cleaning parts...just creating hydrogen and making pure rust for thermite
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #117
Dub_X

When I redid the front suspension in my truck, I did that to clean my a-arms, my torsion bars, hell even the cams on the t-bars. Lol, it works pretty damn good.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #118
NONHOG

Mix Drano or Red Devil Lye drain cleaner with hot water for a pretty decent paint remover.

Bubble wrap and blu tape makes for a good fender cover. My old store bought cover always ended up getting dirty and scratching the paint it was suppose to protect.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #119
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Thanks dub_x, that's huge!
Nonhog...I love bubble wrap, never thought of that though, thanks.

Easy-Off oven cleaner works real good on tough greasy parts..wear rubber gloves and don't breath it!
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #120
Chris4x4Gill2

Storage tip: for those large oddball shaped tools that dont come with a storage case, things like circular saws, sawzalls, etc., an old filing cabinet is great to put them in. Works great for any large bulky item.

I got mine for $5 when they were cleaning them out here at work. They come up on CL from time to time as well. They are made to be stuffed full of paper so the rollers/slides are pretty heavy duty.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #121
Chris4x4Gill2

one most people probably already know, to close off a hose that you have taken off of something, a bolt inserted into the end and hose clamp or zip tie makes a great stopper.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #122
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Hey Chris...thanks for the file cabinet idea, I've got 2 just sitting there doing nothing...not for long though.
I think I'll label the drawers "Junk" to confuse thieves.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #123
Dub_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4x4Gill2 View Post
one most people probably already know, to close off a hose that you have taken off of something, a bolt inserted into the end and hose clamp or zip tie makes a great stopper.
Lol, my cousin did something like that...last year he rolled his '94 Chevy 3500, not completely so it didn't destroy the truck, but it tore an AC hose, so he plugged the hose at the AC condensor with a bolt. LOL
Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #124
Chris4x4Gill2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_X View Post
Lol, my cousin did something like that...last year he rolled his '94 Chevy 3500, not completely so it didn't destroy the truck, but it tore an AC hose, so he plugged the hose at the AC condensor with a bolt. LOL
Necessity is a good incentive to get creative.

One of my most used items in the shop is my "tool cart" I found an old kitchen island at a yard sale. It came on castors so it rolls anywhere its needed, has two shelves for holding parts or tools, and the top is wood so its a non-marring for working on "nice" stuff i dont want to scratch. Best part, one side is perforated like pegboard so hooks for holding more stuff attach easily.

The REALLY BEST part..it was free!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #125
Dub_X

Lol nice!