The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
47 Fasttoys

Re: '47 Loadmaster COE (rebuild pictures)

5-6-2014
OK, so with the bed off it was time to address the cab, after doing some measuring it looked like with the radiator support out of the way the cab could be lifted and the chassis rolled away. The cab removal and stripping the wiring harness from the engine/trans took 2 days.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #27
47 Fasttoys

5-7-2014
Now with the chassis free it was time to pull the engine and trans. Once again the lift works great for this also. Once I had it free I went ahead and swapped the oil pad for the F-body pan. I did this for ground clearance as it will be mid-mounted. I also flipped the valve covers and intake, also needed for mid-engine clearance. Engine is good and clean inside. The PS will also be relocated to the lower passenger side (current AC location) to make the front of the engine as low profile as possible. The plan is to stick that part under the seat.
I then started on the engine cart, the idea is to set the engine at proper ride height and angle so I can roll it to the back of the cab and start the cab mods.
That is a condensed version of my first of two weeks of work, I'll start tomorrow on next week and finally I will bring the COE back into the game.

Rob

Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #28
47 Fasttoys

5-8-2014
OK, with the engine cart complete it was time bring the cab into play. On my last trip I built a cab cart, with this cart I have the final ride height and angle set. I rolled the cab and engine in line to see how things lined up. As expected some trimming is required. With the rear of the cab trimmed things are looking good without to much interference into the rear area.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #29
47 Fasttoys

5-9-2014
With a hole in the cab it was time to set the cab on the chassis. Plum bobs where used to center things up. The cab mounting was later changed to a better design. More on that later.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #30
47 Fasttoys

5-9-2014
Also of note here is the suspension ride height was set using metal tubing after removing the front springs. This helps a lot to check tire clearance and travel.

Picture files lost
Old 11-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #31
47 Fasttoys

With the cab now in place it was time set the engine/trans in the final location. I took the original motor mount stands, cut them up, mounted them back to the engine and tacked 2"X2" stands under them, after having stands in place I mounted the stands to a 2"X2" cross member.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #32
47 Fasttoys

5-10-2014
More pictures from engine mounting.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #33
HULK64

Nice fab work! Keep after it.
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #34
47 Fasttoys

5-10-2014
After having a cross member complete I built 2 mount plates for the outside of the frame. With the engine in it's final location and at proper angle I welding the cross member inside these plates. I did end up setting the engine/trans 1 inch to the passenger side, on the original '03 it was also offset and by doing this I will be able to center the trans mount in the raise of the old carrier support cross member. I was also able to raise the engine another inch under the cabl giving me a total of 8 inches of clearance from pan to pavement.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
47 Fasttoys

5-11-2014
Well that's about as far as I got on the last home trip. Later this year I will be done with the China deal and be able to get back on the build. I did bring the wiring harness back with me so I have a little work on.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #36
47 Fasttoys

5-12-2014
So now I'm nee deep in tearing the wiring harness apart and got to thinking: where am I going to mount all the electronics? There are my options 1. Inside the cab behind the seat, passenger side. 2. Build or buy an enclosure and mount them inside it on the right side on the chassis. 3. ???
What I'm looking at is this; ECM 4" X 10" X 8", TAC Module 6" X 5" X 1", 1 or 2 other modules as needed, a custom fuse panel (10 to 12 circuit, size unknown) 3 to 5 relays and a lot of wires (100 plus).
Ideas??
Rob
5-20-2014
Well, I got the wiring harness completed as far as I can at this point. I stripped all the unneeded circuits and separated all the remaining circuits and those back to the ECM. Because most of the circuits will need to be adjusted for length with the rotating of the intake and a new location for the electronics there was no reason to maintain the original layout. pulled all the wires. It's good to get this done but now I have no more parts to work on while I wait to return.
I did see a new micro car today. .3L, 10HP and 4 small Chinese. 0-60MPH...nope can't get there. Top speed around 40MPH.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #37
faribran

I like your build!! Rlt
Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #38
47 Fasttoys

10-9-2014
OK, so I will be back on the truck in 3 weeks and I'm trying to come up with a basic plan of attack. Here is a list of the major work to be done. What I would like input on is in what order would be best. Below is my guess.
1. Final location fitting of the cab and mounts. It will be removed later for frame work.
2. Front sheet metal mounts and test fits.
3. Steering column choice and fitting.
4. Brake pedal choice and fitting. Early 70s Dodge van with 90 degree mount looks to be promising.
5. Seat choice and fitting.
6. Radiator location choice and fitting.
7. Seat choice and fitting. Late 80s Chevy bench is the goal.
8. Floor mods and access covers for engine maintenance.
9. Electrical component location and enclosure mock up.
10. Bed mounts and final decision on which type of bed. It will be a flat bed with fold down sides but it may also have a tilt function.
I'm thinking after these tasks are complete I can tear it all back apart for final frame welding and clean up, I will also be cleaning up the bottom of the cab and undercoating it. So what did I miss?
Rob
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #39
47 Fasttoys

10-10-2014
At this point I'm not sure where I will put the battery. You make a good point on the seat , I will do that before the pedals and column. If I have an option on radiator placement, would you guys recommend behind the grill with an electric fan or under the cab using the original mechanical clutch fan?
Rob
10-11-2014
At this point I'm not sure where I will put the battery. You make a good point on the seat , I will do that before the pedals and column. If I have an option on radiator placement, would you guys recommend behind the grill with an electric fan or under the cab using the original mechanical clutch fan?
Rob
10-12-2014
Home for good, 3 years, 4 months, 15 days. It's a long time to be away with only short home visits. Its been a good adventure but I'm ready for it to end. Now it's time to enjoy some of the fruits of my labor. I've got a good start on the C.O.E. and now will have the time and a little cash to build it right. I expect to have it road worthy with a modern drive train,modern suspension, restored interior and basically a dependable daily driver/work truck in around six to eight months for around 20K. That puts me in the middle of next summer for a 2 to 3 week road trip across America. I've done this in a '31 Oakland 3 window street rod, a '69 Mercury Cougar and my '46 1/2 ton hauling a pop-up. By far some of the greatest times that can be had in this great country of ours.
Rob
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #40
47 Fasttoys

10-31-2014
I'm back!!!! Not wasting any time I just had to do something on it after the return early this morning. I did end up clipping the frame horns off right behind the round cross tube (not shown) to see how the grill was going to line up. I also had to remove the support structure from behind the grill. I'll build one that is much closer to the grill and a bit shorter. I also came to the realization I will need to raise the front of the cab about 2 inches. I just don't have enough clearance for the front tires. I will also need to swap to a smaller tire. Anyway, a few pictures. Jet lag has set in big time and I need a nap. Great to be back.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #41
47 Fasttoys

11-01-2014
OK, so today I rebuilt the front body mounts. I ended up raising the front 1 1/2 inches to give some more tire clearance. It's fine for the inside now but I will need to change tires for the fender clearance. I tacked things in place and then removed the body to install plates on the rear and final welding. Boy, I really need to figure out how to set this camera up.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #42
47 Fasttoys

11-2-2014
So, for this morning I shortened the brake line, it was originally mounted to the frame piece I removed. I also remounted the cab and just for kicks pulled the tube which was used to set ride height and dropped it down to see how low it could go. This view is against the bump stop with a tall tire. For sure I could drop it to the bumper with some minor mods. I also installed the drive shaft (just the rear). It looks like it will work good. This is what happens when you wake up at 3:00 due to big time changes. Oh, and I think I got the camera thing figured out, date is still off.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #43
47 Fasttoys

11-4-2014
OK, so I'm a little off track here but I stopped by a salvage yard Monday and picked a 60/40 bench seat from a '90 Chevy truck. I did a test fit and I think it will work fine if I set it up as a 40/60 meaning the long side on the driver side. I will also try and make it tilt at the front for engine access.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #44
47 Fasttoys

11-7-2014
I've been playing with the tranny mount. I think the idea will work but the plates that will be welded to the cross member are an odd shape and are talking a bit of time to figure out. To give that a little time to simmer I've also been building a tilting frame for the seat. When the 2 frames are complete the lower 1 will be welded to the original seat riser. Also you can see the supports are unevenly spaced. They are lined up the the modified slider system on the seats. When all the supports and side panels (under the seat) are welded in a large section of the floor will be removed for front engine access.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #45
47 Fasttoys

11-9-2014
A little more progress on the seat mount. Both modified seat tracks are welded to a sub-frame, that frame is attached to a lower frame via a piano hinge so it tilts at the front giving access at the engine. Both seats fully adjust fore and aft. I also put the '03 bed back on (needed the shop space) it gives you an idea just how much difference there is in a COE cab and an extended cab. How I will have a Silverado chassis with the looooong bed option
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #46
47 Fasttoys

11-16-2014
Just about done with the seat frame. After adding some boxing plates I removed the center section for front engine access, I also modified the drivers seat (60% side) so it now folds flat. I started on the gas pedal mod. The donor has drive by wire and I really don't care for the looks of the pedal assembly so I'm building a box that houses the modified donor pedal on the outside of the fire wall. Now the stock pedal pushes the push rod which in turn pushes the DBW pedal.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #47
47 Fasttoys

11-22-2014
90% finished with the pedal project. I test mounted a steering column a friend gave me, I think it may be from a early Ford truck or Bronco. It has a 14" wheel and works well for seat clearance issues. I used the stock column location on the floor but moved it about 1" closer to the dash, still seems to work well for feel when seated. I also did a test fit of the master cylinder and booster, it's tight as far as the prop rod and hood support are concerned. I will need to build some kind of a lever system to operate the brakes. You can see I will need to shorten the column a few inches and rotate the rack mounts to allow for steering hook up. Like always, more challenges.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #48
47 Fasttoys

11-23-2014
Thanks mud, good question 99. Straight on the fire wall doesn't work for 2 reasons: support rod in the way (easy fix) assembly to long by about 2 inches. Under the floor? I've had master cylinders under the floor before and I don't like not seeing the fluid level at a glance and maintenance is a pain. Not sure if I will still have room under the floor after the radiator is in.
Rob
11-23-2014
Yea, I've seen the Dodges done that way. I've been looking for one but have had no luck. I would like some measurements from the pivot area if anyone has one.
Rob
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #49
47 Fasttoys

11-26-2014
Made some good progress on the brake system today. fabbed up the booster and MC mount, mounted the pedal, and got a good start on the linkage.
Rob
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #50
47 Fasttoys

11-29-2014
A little more progress. Stopped for a local shop, great guy. Asked if he had any old ADs for parts. As a matter of fact he did, like 9 or 10 of them. Picked up a column with a descent wheel and a stainless inner window piece for $50. Yea, I'll be seeing him again. Anyway, I got the brake fab work sorted out for the MC and booster, also cut down the column and added a bearing. Need to start working on rotating the rack and pinion unit and then steering hook up.
Rob
Attached Images