The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
weedoublewide

Conversion Questions

I've been looking for "the truck" for a while and a thought came into my head. Its just a thought that I need itched and who better to come to than the experts =D....

Ive been hooked on the 69/70 body style...its muh fav

So I'm looking for a standard 4x4 vechile, which I am finding are extremely difficult to come by that aren't a complete bucket of rust...

SOO.. that got my little hamster in my head turning on his little wheel.....

I get the 2wd to 4x4 conversion...time consuming but possible...nothing I cant tackle by learning from the mistakes of the many on this glorious website..(thank you by the way lol)

But lets say I got a 2wd standard and then got a donor 4x4 frame (most likely equipped, or was, with an automatic tranny) to swap onto....what will have to be added/modified?

Or is it as simple as taking the standard tranny mounts and swapping it over...
weedoublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Conversion Questions

One problem a 2wd and 4x4 trans are different.The output shaft and tail housing are different between the two.You can change a 2wd trans in to a 4x4 one but you have to gut the trans to do it.Besides that everything should be bolt in far as a know.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
One problem a 2wd and 4x4 trans are different.The output shaft and tail housing are different between the two.You can change a 2wd trans in to a 4x4 one but you have to gut the trans to do it.Besides that everything should be bolt in far as a know.

Thanks for the reply man!

So the bottom line is it will all match up besides having the manual transmission rebuilt to handle the 4x4 application...?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
andrewmp6

As long as it was a trans offered in that body style it should all bolt right in if you have the right parts.You know all the clutch parts cut the hole in the floor for the shifter and change out the steering column.Only thing i can think of is the driveshafts might not fit.I believe the stick will be a shorter length then a auto,But you can find the right length driveshafts or have them made for you.See if you have a local shop that can make them even try a big diesel shop.The one in my town will make any driveshaft starting at 350 bucks a shaft.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
weedoublewide

Awesome! that helps a lot, I just don't want to have to do any welding when that time comes. Well that's not accurate, ill learn to weld but id rather not start off having to weld on a frame first go around.

If I could find a 4x4 standard that was rusted to so bad I would just go that route but everyone ive come across is going to need some SERIOUS TLC....like some serious TLC..i don't think I can put any more emphasis on serious...and TLC...lol
Old 07-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
franken

If you want an old 4x4 troll CL for a while. There's a 72 on there now, which means front disc brakes 71/72. Or buy a cheap square and troll CL for the year you want. They're out there starting at 1500. 71-72 is the same body as 69-70 but the grille is different.
Doing a conversion is not the better way to go in my opinion.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
If you want an old 4x4 troll CL for a while. There's a 72 on there now, which means front disc brakes 71/72. Or buy a cheap square and troll CL for the year you want. They're out there starting at 1500. 71-72 is the same body as 69-70 but the grille is different.
Doing a conversion is not the better way to go in my opinion.
I troll the **** out of CL, I have a word document with all these potential projects and what not. There's this bridge I have to cross in my head...do I want the first one to be a speed demon and horsepower warrior, or do I want a 4x4 work warrior I can pull trees down with and move houses with...that's the dilemma I'm stuck at...

but I didn't think of that second sentence you mentioned...im going to kick that around for a day or so...you might could be possibly be on to something franken!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
'63GENIII

I converted a 77 crew cab dually into a 4x4 when I was first married. My wife was about to divorce me by the time it was done. I still play it off like it wasn't that big of a project but the reality of it is that I haven't done another one since. Ive found that time and time again, Im money AND time ahead if I just find a factory 4x4 and tweak it to my liking. Also, when Im looking for one to buy, if I even get the slightest idea that it had been converted from a 2wd to a 4x4, I walk. Resale is a consideration.

I agree with Franken. I see them quite often out here. Might even be able to find a decent runner on the cheap that you could drive home? Plane ticket and a road trip? Sounds like fun!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
'63GENIII

So I just checked CL here and those things are crazy expensive right now! The prices seem to go in waves out here. I remember looking just a couple of months ago and was seeing some pretty solid unrestored drivers for under 4k.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote