The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
tolly4503

Building a Garage, Few ?

Well I bought my 1st house a couple months ago, only problem is there's no garage. I can go 36 ft wide by 40 deep. But I want a little yard out back too. What I'm worried about is make it to small that my truck won't fit, and have room to tear it down . It's a '69 c20 lwb. My other toy, chopped up cherokee is in my parents garage which is 22x24, and I know that's not big enough. So my question is what size is your guys garage and how is it in there working on your trucks. I was thinkin 32wx25d. thanks
tolly4503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
noonzor

Re: Building a Garage, Few ?

go as big as u can without sacrificing the yardspace you want(check with the boss if your married haha). dont think the words.... "u know, this garage is just too big" have ever come out of my mouth haha. the garage im in now is 22x24 and with two trucks inside its pretty tight but workable, bigger jobs one truck sits on the driveway other inside.

32x25 would be schweeet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
tolly4503

Well no boss to ask, so the final size will be up to me and my bank account. I was hoping 32x25 would be big enough. Atleast for now till I figure a way to fill it up with more junk/toys.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
67chevy2wd

The house I am in the process of buying has a 24x34 attached and a 24x40 shop in the back yard. I should be able to live with that. What I have now is a 24x34 and it is too small to be a garage and a shop. If you can go 24x40 do it and go with 10ft walls minimum. I have 8ft walls now and I HATE them. Just not high enough. I could barely pull the engine out of my 71 with a 3" lift. Plus higher walls make for more storage. Another suggestion I have is if you don't go with a vaulted ceiling, build an attic storage space in the rafters. My new shop has one. It is about 10ft wide and 40ft long with a floor and walls and lights. I will be able to store alot up there leaving more room on the floor. For access there is fold down stairs.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
jkade

Is there any way you could do a 30x30 or a 30x40? A 30x40 is about the work space I have in my 30x56 because of the 18' room that I closed in. The 30x40 is a pretty good bit of space but it still is cramped with 2 projects in there.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Ok a couple things to take into consideration....all your walls should be divisable by 4 any other # is a waiste because of the length of lumber....also 10 foot ceilings are a great idea...pour your floor and a 2' high knee wall then add you 8' wood walls above....this makes it so you can wash the floor or run heavy stuff in to the botom and it won't hurt it.....

my gargage is 24 x 28 its ok I manage but I think that if it was 28 deep X 32 long it would be much better without over kill

to give you an Idea my 70 LWB with the gate tight to the door there is room for a fridge or bench in front but your not going to have much room for more theres about 3 feet in front

would I would suggest is getting some grade stakes and some ribbon then doing a lay out in your yard to get a feel for the space

also opt for the 10 high by 12 doors and 2 man doors....when it comes time to build check your LOCAL lumber yard.. alot of places ( like Hammonds Lumber here) have kits or prefabbed walls and truss's than are cheap and quick!! and don't forget windows,LIGHTING, insolation (also one of the things thats cheaper to farm out than do yourself)
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
67chevy2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
pour your floor and a 2' high knee wall then add you 8' wood walls above....this makes it so you can wash the floor or run heavy stuff in to the botom and it won't hurt it.....
I forgot about that, something I have always wanted. Also if you park a iced up vehicle in and let it thaw the water won't get soaked up buy the walls.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

a floor drain is a really nice idea, but it requires going through the plumbing permits etc to do so.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
NONHOG

Lots of stuff looking back I wish I did, this shop and previous garages.

Storage truss, spend the extra !

built in anchors in the slab.

floor heat, costly but I'm getting old, would be nice.

considering a hoist ? plan ahead, height and width.

daylight vs. security, mount windows up high ?

I'll think of more later
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
a floor drain is a really nice idea, but it requires going through the plumbing permits etc to do so.
Checlk your local LAWS floor drains are Illegal In most states now...kinda like pits are

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
chris mc bride

First no such thing as big enough. That said. Ive been in a 32x32 with 4' storage across the back which gave me a 32x28 floor space. I rand Alcohol funnycar and top alcohol dragster and a bracket car out of it for years.Not to mention we did tons of fabrictaion uing welders.bridgeport mill and lathe.I had a cpl engines being built mosr all of the time.Not sure how we did it all but you find away.I did have a 45' goldrush trailer to store at least one car at a time in plus few motors and ton of parts.
Build all you can and you will use it.You never know a new project may come along that you can't pass up.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
cableguy0

Build the biggest building you can possibly fit in the yard then start saving your pennies to buy the property next door so theres room for your storage building. I use my brothers 28x28 most of the time and by the time we put the lift in and all the tool boxes engine stand/crane work benches etc etc etc its already too small. It never seems to matter how much space there is it gets filled up. I do reccomend a loft over at least part of it for storage of seldom used stuff. As much ceiling height as you can get is also a big plus especially if you plan to get a lift at some point. Having enough ceiling height is crucial when pulling engines lifting stuff etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

I just had a 24x30 built in my backyard. I love the room in front of the vehicles.....................but I wish I had gone wider. It would have cost me a lot more due to a huge tree having to be removed, but would have been worth it. Build as big as you can.
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
tolly4503

Heres a quick idea I'm thinkin of doin, kinda 2 birds one stone thing, as I was going to put a patio in someday, figure might as well do it in one shot.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
cableguy0

I would say to move the bathroom to the the front left corner where the patio is so that if need be you can get 2 cars inside the garage without a bunch of weird maneuvers. Also make sure you leave room on the outside to build a small compressor room. Your sanity will thank you when you dont have to hear the compressor going everytime it comes on.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
tolly4503

Ya you're right, would be alot easier to swing in without a room on that side
Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
faribran

Lots of good ideas in here... I would stress a high ceiling... I like my 12 ft ceiling... I can move long things around and never hit the ceiling...
Be aware of how close your neighbors are.... (if in a subdivision)

i also agree.. Build as big as you have space for and can afford.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly4503 View Post
Heres a quick idea I'm thinkin of doin, kinda 2 birds one stone thing, as I was going to put a patio in someday, figure might as well do it in one shot.
Consider forgetting or really downsizing the patio and add the space to the interior. Along the left( of your picture) maybe along that long wall have a smaller bathroom version with an interior shop/office inside the shop, essentially a 10' x 16' workshop/ room rectangle with tools and bench etc. and a bathroom attached. Above this a storage loft.With that "rectangle in the box" in that corner, allowing for an exterior walk door, the rest of the space is open shop. Also this room could support an ac unit for a place to go when it's hot on smaller projects.

Consider outlets every 6' and also in the ceiling and up high for television and/or retractable drop cords. Don't forget 200 amp service, hard line air lines on the wall, lights and the list can go on as far as the imagination/budget allows.

Never think 'too big'...it will always be too small no matter what the size!

I have a 10 x 10 overhead too. You may want to allow about 4' on each side so when you drive in and park just inside the door it allows easy walk-around of the vehicle.

Did the "build a shed" back in the 90's with a 30'x 48' and still am working on details. It never ends. If I did it over again I would have planned more. But today it is close to what I want. Never worry, it will always be your money pit but hopefully something will be inside to show for it!

Good Luck and enjoy the process! There are a lot of good products today to heat and add interior space comfort that wasn't around when mine went up. Consider letting natural light in as much as you can securely if possible with clear panels on the roof or walls. It really does make a difference. Electrical fresh air intake and exhaust is a nice too.

Enjoy the process!

If I ever build a home it will start out as a machine shed in the country, then a home will be built inside with the shop attached in the same building...granted I probably will be single if that ever happens! Yet when it is assessed by the tax man for property taxes...it will be "just a 'simple' machine shed".

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 08-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
cdowns

you might want to check with the zoneing board to see what you are in fact allowed to build
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
oldblue72c10
LIGHT' EM UP!!!!!!!!!!

haha mines 40x60

BONDO IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD YOU EVER USE YOUR FRIEND

1972 custom 10 longbed
current 360 building a racing 355
oldblue72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
tolly4503

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you might want to check with the zoneing board to see what you are in fact allowed to build
I already checked, and my plan is good to go by them. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Last edited by tolly4503; 08-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
cableguy0

Good luck with it. Your now obligated to take a bunch of pictures and keep us informed.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
magicoolbus

I finished my man cave in March of '08. I had limited room in my back yard and easments to deal with and a real pricky permit process! I actually was able to get in all of my wants and desires. I have a 30x40 shop area with a 12x12 room of the side, kinda a blocky L shape. 2x6 construction and it is fully insulated. I was out there this afternoon, outside temps were 111, inside temps were just over 90. Turned the AC on and dropped to 80 in about 30 minutes.

One of my ideas was to put in attic storage built into the trusses. This went very well in the initial plans, but due to height restrictions, I was only able to get a box that is 5 1/2 feet tall by 10 feet wide by about 35 feet long. I can't stand up completely, but the storage space is ginormous. To access the 'attic,' I gave up a little of the rear of the shop (only about 4 feet) to make a set of stairs, much easier than a pull down set. I initially wanted them on the outside, but city said no

My shop ceilings are 10 feet tall.

Name:  DSCN0341.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  41.2 KB
Here's a shot of the foundation.

Name:  DSCN0371.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  51.7 KB
This is a view from the street thru the rv gate. It kinda shows the garage door, trusses coming next.

Name:  DSCN0379.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  50.7 KB
Here you can see the special trusses that I had designed to accomodate the 'attic' storage.

Name:  DSCN0432.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  41.0 KB
This is a good shot of the entrance, at the rear, you can see the stairs up to the storage, also I put an under stair storage. My kids call it the 'harry potter closet.' The door at the back right is to the 12x12 'office'

Name:  DSCN0434.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  54.6 KB
here's a different view of the office.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #24
hotrodhomi

i would make sure the ceiling is tall enough for a lift. They are cheap. if I had the room, I''d have one.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
SCOTTMO
powdercoater

Was the height restriction the city or a hoa ?
i was think about raising the roof on my shop,but did not know if it would be
worth the hassel with the city.