The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Timbro

Large to small window conversion kits?

I have a 67 k10 with the small window but the cab top half is seriously rust pitted I just acquired a super rust free cab with a large window. Anybody make a kit or filler panel to convert large window cabs to small?
Posted via Mobile Device
Timbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: Large to small window conversion kits?

I am not aware of a kit. Best bet is to find a seller willing to do a cab cut. Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Timbro

ok...thanks. I wish someone would make a filler panel for this conversion. maybe not a lot of us like the small window ... i found a supposedly clean small window cab for $150

Curious how difficult the top swap is?

Thanks again for your input
Old 06-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbro View Post
ok...thanks. I wish someone would make a filler panel for this conversion. maybe not a lot of us like the small window ... i found a supposedly clean small window cab for $150

Curious how difficult the top swap is?

Thanks again for your input
Swapping the entire cab is easy, but you will have to deal with the VIN plate on the B pillar. Rivets for transplanting the VIN plate are available from some of the vendors here BUT check with your DMV or State Highway Patrol before you do that. Cutting a small window cab and welding that panel into a large window cab is a VERY involved transplant and, unless you've been doing sheet metal repairs on cars and trucks for a lifetime or your name just happens to be Chip Foose, you probably should not go that way. Far too many chances to really mess up a nice truck when you cut that much out of a cab.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
hugger6933

I have a truck at my shop now I cut the top half off and replaced it. But I have been building wrecks for a long time and have done many many top clips. It is not something I would advise to do unless you have a good bit of fitting and welding time in.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Timbro

i appreciate everyones thoughts. My son is a pretty talented body man with 10-12 years experience and i think he's up to the challenge. i may see about getting the small window top and putting it on the extra cab i have. if all turns out well, then swap it with the original cab. At least this way the original cab on my 67 will still be in tact if the project goes south.

any "gotchas" we need to look out for on a top clip?

Last edited by Timbro; 06-03-2015 at 12:39 PM.