The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

Auburn Posi Package

The 12 bolt rear end in my truck is starting to show its age so I decided on full over haul, I look on ebay and found a complete kit for about $700 that comes with gears, posi carrier, seals, shims and bearings it seams like a good deal to me http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aubur...Q5fAccessories
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: Auburn Posi Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbig10 View Post
The 12 bolt rear end in my truck is starting to show its age so I decided on full over haul, I look on ebay and found a complete kit for about $700 that comes with gears, posi carrier, seals, shims and bearings it seams like a good deal to me http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aubur...Q5fAccessories
Aaron, there is a guy on CL here in town that is selling a new auburn and gears for $300. I'll get you his number if you want

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Aaron, there is a guy on CL here in town that is selling a new auburn and gears for $300. I'll get you his number if you want
If he doesn't, I am interested.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Just so you know, the Auburn Posi is the one with the "cone" shaped clutch mechanism. When they wear-out, they are done, not rebuildable. It actually wears into the carrier's case and must be replaced at that point.

As far as buying overhaul parts for a rear end, you might be ahead to ask your local professional. The guy who installs them for you could have connections to parts for good prices. He may also give you a better labor price if you buy the parts from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

This is the same unit I put in my 78. Have roasted the tires a few times. No issues so far, but only have 300+ miles on it. Not enough time to really evaluate something like this.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
cableguy0

An eaton clutch style posi would be the way to go. It can be rebuilt when the clutches wear out. When the auburn units start to wear out they are trash. Not saying the auburn is a piece of crap and wont last but for the long term the eaton is the way to go.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
rotgg

i bought my posi from the same guy great to deal with
rotgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
nlped

I pieced all of my 12 bolt pieces/parts together and didn't do it for too much less. I did the Auburn Pro w/ 3.42's and everything and wouldn't redo it. Go for it!!!

I've had an Auburn posi in my mustang for nearly 10 well traveled years, and haven't had any issues. I had an Eaton (nice piece) in my old GMC and it seemed to start giving issues after only a couple of years. I went back with an Auburn for the '76 Blazer!

Just my .02

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
bama63

im runnin the Gleason tru trac in my truck and i love it. best bang for the buck. no ratcheting or tire chirp when going arround turns but still has all the qualities of a posi unit.

its kind of hard to explain how they work too but its fully gear driven and completely rebuildable
bama63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbig10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If he doesn't, I am interested.
Sorry guys looks like they sold. I was going to buy them last week but the wife says I'm no longer allowed to buy trucks or parts just because it's a good deal

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote