The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
5Tractorguy

'88 1-ton TH400 won't get up to speed

Want to bounce this off some of you...

Just had the TH400 rebuilt in my '88 for the second time. Stock stall heavy duty converter, heavier kit put in the transmission, nothing too special. All the clutches and plates were changed. Not sure what my truck has for diff gears...

Problem is I can't get up to speed. In other words I'm wound out at 45-50mph turning 3000rpm easy.

A few years ago I used to be able to get up to 65mph at 2800-3000 and head down the highway no problem.

My reason for having the trans rebuilt again was the slow decline in my top speed. I was hoping this rebuild would take care of it but something still doesn't seem right.

As a side thought, would a vacuum leak cause the vacuum modulator (which was replaced) not to shift completely into gear?

Anyone experience this before?
Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
D13

Re: '88 1-ton TH400 won't get up to speed

Can you feel it shift 1-2 then 2-3?
The modulator controls transmission line pressure. That pressure and the governer control the shift points.

Light thorttle I would expect 1-2 around 15mph, 2-3 anywhere from 25-30ish.

If there is no vacuum on the modulator, 1-2 will be late (like 35+Mph) and firm. 2-3 will be 60+. The mosulator is telling the trans your foot is on the floor.

The other thing on a TH400 is the electical down shift solenoid. If it is wired wrong or stuck the trans will always think your foot is on the floor.

Charged my dad a trip to town, a grape nehi soda and $.39 for the vacuum line to fix the high rev late shift oln his TH400. After 10 years the hose had simply rotted off.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Indyfab

I had an barely noticeable cut in a 3” section of rubber vacuum line right by the modulator that caused similar symptoms. The hose was new at the time of install, but somehow got sliced .
Indyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
Can you feel it shift 1-2 then 2-3?
The modulator controls transmission line pressure. That pressure and the governer control the shift points.

Light thorttle I would expect 1-2 around 15mph, 2-3 anywhere from 25-30ish.

If there is no vacuum on the modulator, 1-2 will be late (like 35+Mph) and firm. 2-3 will be 60+. The mosulator is telling the trans your foot is on the floor.

The other thing on a TH400 is the electical down shift solenoid. If it is wired wrong or stuck the trans will always think your foot is on the floor.

Charged my dad a trip to town, a grape nehi soda and $.39 for the vacuum line to fix the high rev late shift oln his TH400. After 10 years the hose had simply rotted off.
Yep, that sounds about right for shift points with the MPH, probably a bit more on the early side. 1-2 is very "soft" and 2-3 is more of a hard shift. It will shift through all the gears but doesn't seem to want to get the wheel speed.... if that makes any sense...

I do have the electric down shift in the transmission, but nothing is wired into the truck. I bought the switch a while back but never got time to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfab View Post
I had an barely noticeable cut in a 3” section of rubber vacuum line right by the modulator that caused similar symptoms. The hose was new at the time of install, but somehow got sliced .
I'll check the hose tomorrow AM before I go out. Has the metal line with the connector hose on ether end. They might be past their prime.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
5Tractorguy

Checked the line to the vacuum module. Rubber lines on the end weren't bad but got replaced. Metal line is clean and clear. Took fitting for vacuum out of intake manifold, cleaned and resealed threads.

Still drives the same.

I'm beginning to think it's something deep inside the transmission that's messed up...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
GRADYS Performance

If you can figure out your exact Rpm, Tire size, Rear gear ratio you can figure what your MPH should be. TCIAUTO.com has a calculator to figure rpm, mph etc.
Then you can figure if you have a problem and what component it is, Trans or Converter.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

What does the fluid look like? Nice red with no odor? Correct level with engine warm and running in Park?
If you are turning "300RPM easy" at 45-50 MPH it is not about your dif gears or tire size.
It is slipping BADLY. You should NOT attempt to run it in this condition, although probably you have already damaged it severely.
Can you get it towed back to the guys that last worked on it? Did you call them?- Or maybe you did your own work. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post
If you can figure out your exact Rpm, Tire size, Rear gear ratio you can figure what your MPH should be. TCIAUTO.com has a calculator to figure rpm, mph etc.
Then you can figure if you have a problem and what component it is, Trans or Converter.
If it comes to that I'll have to rig up my tach and see if I can figure out what my diff ratio is. Have to jack it up and spin the driveshaft since there is no build sheet on the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
What does the fluid look like? Nice red with no odor? Correct level with engine warm and running in Park?
If you are turning "300RPM easy" at 45-50 MPH it is not about your dif gears or tire size.
It is slipping BADLY. You should NOT attempt to run it in this condition, although probably you have already damaged it severely.
Can you get it towed back to the guys that last worked on it? Did you call them?- Or maybe you did your own work. -BA

Clean new fluid as of this Thursday. Filled to the correct level when warmed up at idle.

Yep you guessed it, already ran it doing errands and stuff today. Hasn't gotten worse but sure ain't any better.

I pulled the transmission and brought it to someone to rebuild. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see what he thinks. He is a reputable guy via a couple other truck guys in the area that have had transmissions (th400's and 700r4's) done. They haven't had any problems. Who knows, maybe he missed/overlooked something.

I'll have more to report tomorrow...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
sweetk30

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

great calculator and offers side by side .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
5Tractorguy

Thanks for the link K30!

Got off the phone with the rebuild guy. He's at a loss for what it might be. He is a state away so after the first of the year he's going to take a trip down and take the truck for a ride. We're going go from there. At this point I may pick up another TH400 for a future rebuild.

So until then, that'll be all for now...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Dead Parrot

One test you could try is at a stop, put it in L1. Slowly speed up to the point where it should want to shift, then manually shift to L2. Assuming it shifts, continue slowly speeding up to where it should want shift to 3rd. Then manually shift to D. If it shifts but your rpms stay up, then you likely have a slippage problem. If it doesn't shift, then maybe a bad modulator or something inside keeping it from shifting.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
sweetk30

and a cheep tach to help pin point the rpm to ground speed .

my k30 with 4.10 gears and 235/85/16 stock tires is in 3rd gear by 25mph . . . and at 60mph she sounds like she is screaming @ 2750 rpm
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
Alex V.

FWIW the shift points on my '85 C3500 w/454, TH400, and 4.10 gears is 1-2 @ 6 MPH, 2-3 at 16. That's basically coasting. And yes, the modulator works - highest I've seen my 2-3 shift is about 35 MPH. No electric kickdown.

If it's slipping, when you step on it the engine speed should jump more than a few hundred RPM with no corresponding increase in ground speed and little acceleration.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
5Tractorguy

Thanks for the ideas guys. I should have some time this week to set up a tach and go for a drive. Been a bit busy around here lately. I'll report back then...

5Tractorguy on Youtube