The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

350 timing for issue

I have my 350 at nearly 30 degrees initial timing, and it runs great. I back in down to a conservative 15 degrees it runs sluggish, but all right otherwise. Just doesn't have a snap in the throttle.

How does one tell if I have a mismatched cover and balancer combo? Or if the balancer slipped a bit.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 350 timing for issue

Find #1 tdc and prove your timing marks. Like in here.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Thanks never thought about such a simple to idea.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
geezer#99

And you can knock the centre out of a sparkplug, tap it for a bolt and make your own piston stop.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
rrenner

I'm sorta in the same boat. In preparation for starting my sbc for the first time, I am installing the distributor. I wanted to double check tdc, so using a piston stop I am finding out that my timing mark on the harmonic balancer is off by an inch or so. I guess what I'm asking is the fix as simple as determining the correct tdc (using the piston stop) and sticking on a new timing tape in the correct position or is it a bigger issue (screwed up harmonic balancer)? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
77 350 Shorty Wide

Good evening, On early sbc's there are a couple different timimg tabs and balancers. You need to have the correct timimg cover and balancer. This may be your problem as there is not alot of difference when they are mismatched. However it doesn't mean that the outside ring hasn't slipped. Verify tdc is the route to go. The simple plan is to do the above mentioned method of varifying, then ad place a new timing tape to match, it will be less expensive then changing the dampner. If you do th dampner just make sure the new one matchs your timing cover.

Happy holidays & God bless, Terry
77 350 Shorty Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
geezer#99

Don't use a timing tape, they fall off.
Just remark your balancer with a new line and get a digital or dial back timing light.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Don't use a timing tape, they fall off.
Just remark your balancer with a new line and get a digital or dial back timing light.
Ditto
and very Wise advice from . I've not seen ANY of the tape stay on for more that 2 stabs at the throttle.
Use a good magic marker to scribe Zero, then shoot a little clear laquer over it.

If you really wanted to get fancy you can divide the circumference and marks 10° increments around the perimiter

Dia * pi = circumference, Divide that by 360, then times 5 or 10 or whatever increment you wish to mark.

Easiest I found is to cut a 1/2 wide strip from an 'adult beverage can' and trim it to the measured length. Then just lay it on your balancer and mark the intervals and label them.

Oh, and Be CAUTIOUS with your piston stop. If it's long it is a good idea to loosen the rockers so you don't have a piston stop in the cylinder that gets bent by any valve action,, or hangs up on a valve.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
77 350 Shorty Wide

OK timing tape may not be the way to go... but mine has lasted for nearly five years. That's pretty good in my book, When you put in on make sure the dampner is clean, no grease clean it with a solvent.

Have a great Holiday season, Terry
77 350 Shorty Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
geezer#99

You were lucky yours stayed Terry!
Here's a new idea for a degreed balancer. You just need to make a new pointer.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...-728/overview/
Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Axle

And for future troubleshooting, take some white, or other contrasting color and tape off a section to paint a line on the face of the outer and inner ring, like they do on rear drag wheels. 5 years, 10, whatever and you can at a glance see if your outer ring has slipped.

OP, this engine new to you, or has it run good in the past for you?
If not new, ignore the following rambling as it won't be your issue.
Some other things to cloudy the water: Cam installed 'straight up' or installed using one of the retard/advance keyways on the timing set? What brand timing set? In the past, there was one brand who's 'straight up' was 3º retarded, add in using the -3º keyway and you got a seriously retarded cam that would run like a dog until rpms got high enough. Since none of this will be labelled, the only way to find out if there is a cam timing issue is to degree it, prefererably on more than one cylinder if there is any question to its history. (I had a cam once that was ground wrong. Ran like a dog down low until about 3000 rpm and then woke up like a scalded dog. Lift checked out on all cylinders (this was during the time when the zinc/oil/flat tappet cam fiasco was just starting to gain momentum, figured maybe wiped out a new cam). Valve timing on #1 was correct, 2,3,4 where way out of spec. Change cam and happy engine again. Lesson to be learned: don't trust just one cylinder when checking cam timing.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote