The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #26
bob arrington

Re: starting issue

shame on you
bob arrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Nothing in the thread suggests the starter is cranking slowly so nothing suggests heat soak, which is generally a myth. Slow cranking is usually caused by faulty wiring so let's try yo keep the nonsense to a minimum.

I'd try pressing the gas to the floor when cranking warm. If it starts quicker the carb might be dripping gas out of the bowls.

A warm tuned SBC typically fires with a touch of cranking and no stepping on the gas.
LOL. It wouldn’t be a forum without nonsense as you state. Can’t see the problem from the couch. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but let’s get feedback from OP than go from there. This forum should provide trophies for the correct answers. Love these forums. I don’t get the newspaper any more with the funnies so I read this forum. Same thing. Smh
Posted via Mobile Device
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #28
bob arrington

I owned and worked in my own shop for 51 years, just retired, got bored with gardening, besides its winter...lol, with your rudeness you show inexperience, Hiding behind a computer screen to spout without checking your facts is sad. best of luck, wont bother you folks again
bob arrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #29
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Bob, don’t give up. Don’t take this forum personally. This world is losing REAL people who can actually rebuild things. Most people on the forum would install a used item before rebuilding. I call them RNR experts. Plus no one likes to hear things straight forward. It’s only opinions here. We both know once the vehicle comes into our shop we can fix it. This arm chair stuff I only use it as a good laugh. Anyone can copy and paste on their computer but to explain it in their own words forget it. Good luck to you. Enjoy retirement !!!! Let’s go fishing
Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob arrington View Post
I owned and worked in my own shop for 51 years, just retired, got bored with gardening, besides its winter...lol, with your rudeness you show inexperience, Hiding behind a computer screen to spout without checking your facts is sad. best of luck, wont bother you folks again
Actually, it was a legitimate suggestion. A hot starter increases resistance and even though it may crank, the current draw may be enough to keep engine from stating.

Here's a "cut an paste" from another forum about the same issue.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=12&t=1220583

Youngpup, don't get on me, now. ()

"It is also possible if there is a big enough current drain at the starter that the ignition system will be robbed of spark, this can be enough to mean the car wont start even if the starter cranks.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...

Last edited by 68gmsee; 02-18-2019 at 02:54 PM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

It’s all good. Just trying to have a bit of fun at times is all. I know in today’s world the internet is where every one has their knowledge. I just try to keep it between the ears.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #32
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
It’s all good. Just trying to have a bit of fun at times is all. I know in today’s world the internet is where every one has their knowledge. I just try to keep it between the ears.
How true it is. Taught my brother in law some years ago how to use a computer and do searches (he's a tinkerer like me) and he has fixed his Mercedes Benz several times and even his own HD t.v.

Bob, if you're still around, I'm also retired and was a member way back when the site was fairly new under "zmire". I've really learned and helped others at the same time. Great site even though we have an occasional post that can p-ss us off, it's not a reason to leave. No suggestion or question should be discarded quickly. Should be always welcomed.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
nikwho

I'll throw out some info, to try to help OP out a little. I recently swapped out my Edelbrock 600 cfm (1406) carb for a Quick Fuel Brawler 650 c electric choke. I was having the same symptoms as you are reporting. IIRC, when I installed this distributor, I was in an hurry, set #1 to TDC on compression stroke, fired it up and adjusted by what I heard from the engine. Truck fired fine when hot with the Edelbrock. So, I installed the 650 Brawler (Holley, essentially) and from that moment on had hot start issues.

When I swapped carbs, I moved away from an electric fuel pump and went to a mechanical fuel pump. So, i kinda figured that my issue was too much fuel pressure (I'm sitting around 8-9 PSI right now and need to install a regulator.

I too got annoyed by my truck not firing right to life. Not to argue with anyone above, BUT, my '59 Apache with its SBC AND my '68 GMC with it's new Mk. IV BBC both literally fire up faster than either my new fuel injected truck, or my wife's 2016 Toyota 4Runner! And both of those vehicles are in top top shape. Cold, I give either truck two pumps of the accelerator pedal. Hot, I dont touch the pedal.

Anyway, I digress. When I had the issue that you are explaining, it was bothering me, as I re-jetted the carb for elevation, adjusted my float levels and carefully adjusted my four corner idle adjusters on the new carb, with a vacuum gauge and tach under the hood. Still hard starting when hot, I thought it was a high fuel pressure issue, but knew that I needed to rule out timing. I run 91 octane in the truck and live at 6,900' ASL, both of which give me a little leeway with timing. When I put the light on it, it was so far advanced that I literally walked over to the passenger side to look at that side, looking for my timing mark. It was at about 12 o'clock, advanced WAY too much! I literally threw away my old dial back "adjustable" timing light, as I had trouble with it in the past. So, I went back to a regular old timing light, no advance on it. I'd guess that my initial timing was north of 25°! No bueno! So I adjusted it to about 14° initial advance and voila! No more hot start issues and runs like a top. I checked timing with engine warmed up all the way (thermostat open), with ported vacuum advance hose pulled from distributor and plugged, though I not sure that's necessary, with ported vacuum line to carb. I'm not 100% certain of my total timing, as I'm operating with just the metal timing tab that goes to about 16° and no adjustable timing light. So, if I had to guess, I'd say that you too have probably pulled too much timing. That gave me the same exact symptoms as you described. Hope this helps a little. Figure out your timing! You can get a decent timing light from a parts store for $30-$40. Its money well spent! Plus, I think that it's fun and I get some weird looks and questions from neighbors that have never seen a timing light!

Good luck,
Nik