The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #26
Honest Bob

Re: What are you 1-ton guys getting for MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
Thanks for the reference numbers Bob. Really like that C35... I've had a thing going for 1-ton regular cab pickups lately, dually and single wheel.
I rescued the poor thing from the scrap yard. I was surprised to find it was a one ton srw.

PS My dad used to have a Gravely like the ones on your youtube channel banner. Pretty cool machines.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #27
duallydude63

my 91 Crewcab got 10 loaded /mty/or parked!!!
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #28
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Headboard could be reworked to follow the shape of the cab...here's the one I built for mine...
Yep... that is a much better design, aerodynamically speaking. Is that a word? IDK.. I have been researching aerodynamics a bit lately for my camper build and the absolute most important part of aerodynamics is the leading edge. Mongocanfly's headache rack is in the "shadow" of the cab and the front corners of the bead are smooth. These things will make a surprising difference in MPG's.

I get 8.36 MPG's with my dually. It is a big block though, so that isn't that bad.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #29
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
PS My dad used to have a Gravely like the ones on your youtube channel banner. Pretty cool machines.
They are, and everyone who collects always has a mess of them! Last count I had was 42...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Yep... that is a much better design, aerodynamically speaking. Is that a word? IDK.. I have been researching aerodynamics a bit lately for my camper build and the absolute most important part of aerodynamics is the leading edge. Mongocanfly's headache rack is in the "shadow" of the cab and the front corners of the bead are smooth. These things will make a surprising difference in MPG's.

I get 8.36 MPG's with my dually. It is a big block though, so that isn't that bad.
As I said, unfortunately that headboard has to stay due to what I use the truck for. I thought that if I did take it long distance (and not have the bed full) I would remove the one currently on it and fab up a small 1ft, 1-1/2ft high deal just to keep stuff from sliding forward into the cab.

I think it comes down to the ECM programming at this point. Every other comp/tbi combination I had always ran around 10-10.5. I could start going through sensors and modules on the engine again, but those have all been done at least once in the past 5-6 years. Mind as well just bite the bullet and keep on driving. It's an old truck and a wind jammer on the highway!

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Talking about wind resistance....a guy at work has a samuri... he put a roof rack on it and said it cost him 5mpgs....and he said it made it even more horrible to drive just from wind turbulence ...
He took it off...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #31
sweetk30

the guy across the street went from a bumper pull camper to a 5th wheel unit and i said your going to wish you had a 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton truck .

he did a run from new york to a southern nascar track and he said it pulled so easy / less gas pedal / worked so easy / rode so nice .

its all in the way the wind hits the first surface area . cut the bed down and make it clip in for the times you need it that big .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:55 AM   #32
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Talking about wind resistance....a guy at work has a samuri... he put a roof rack on it and said it cost him 5mpgs....and he said it made it even more horrible to drive just from wind turbulence ...
He took it off...
That's because the rack weighed more than the vehicle. It was even more top heavy and underpowered. Lol
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote