The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #651
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 824
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2trux View Post
the motor ran smoother and revved quickly. I'm almost tempted to keep this old gas hog now
454 ftw

Last edited by LT7A; 04-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #652
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
454 ftw
The 454 was certainly a great motor. Unfortunately the 1984 truck version is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. At 230hp and 270tq it's not my idea of a Sport Sedan powerplant.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #653
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 824
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
The 454 was certainly a great motor. Unfortunately the 1984 truck version is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. At 230hp and 270tq it's not my idea of a Sport Sedan powerplant.
Ha, no, it's probably the last thing you would want in a Sport Sedan. It's a workhorse. Growing up with all small blocks it assumed mythical proportions. And has serious potential. Even though I have experienced the LS revolution and have been impressed with the motors in newer trucks, I'm kind of sentimental about the era correct small and big blocks. I certainly understand the draw of the efficiency and power at the baseline along with the power making potential of the LS engines.

Last edited by LT7A; 04-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #654
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Ha, no, it's probably the last thing you would want in a Sport Sedan. It's a workhorse. Growing up with all small blocks it assumed mythical proportions. And has serious potential. Even though I have experienced the LS revolution and have been impressed with the motors in newer trucks, I'm kind of sentimental about the era correct small and big blocks. I certainly understand the draw of the efficiency and power at the baseline along with the power making potential.
I understand your feelings toward period correct, and truly appreciate retro styling.
My objective with this build is to retain retro styling with contemporary updates. The American Racing VF527 wheel design is a perfect example that. It emulates the 80s AR Vector, yet comes in 2k sizes.

Initially I had plans to keep the 454 with a retro look, and update it with modern amenities. I wanted to add the Holley Terminator fuel injection, and a late model O/D transmission. Unfortunately all of that come with a price tag and it has to be made to work together.

Dollar for dollar the Gen III, IV or even Gen V motors offers a LOT more bang for the buck. No its not nostalgic, and swaps are common as dirt. Initially it will double or possibly triple my expense. In the end the reliability of these later motors and the capability to easily add HP/TQ is a big attraction.

Dont dispare though. Until I can find the right donor, I plan to keep the 454 and make it look pretty.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #655
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 824
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I understand your feelings toward period correct, and truly appreciate retro styling.
My objective with this build is to retain retro styling with contemporary updates. The American Racing VF527 wheel design is a perfect example that. It emulates the 80s AR Vector, yet comes in 2k sizes.

Initially I had plans to keep the 454 with a retro look, and update it with modern amenities. I wanted to add the Holley Terminator fuel injection, and a late model O/D transmission. Unfortunately all of that come with a price tag and it has to be made to work together.

Dollar for dollar the Gen III, IV or even Gen V motors offers a LOT more bang for the buck. No its not nostalgic, and swaps are common as dirt. Initially it will double or possibly triple my expense. In the end the reliability of these later motors and the capability to easily add HP/TQ is a big attraction.

Dont dispare though. Until I can find the right donor, I plan to keep the 454 and make it look pretty.
I follow all of that and am nearly on the same page. My comment isn't meant to talk you out of what you want to do. I am just particularly enamored of the old big blocks. Gregski's foray into A/F management has me wondering just what could be gotten out of the ravenous beasts with today's tuning tools and aftermarket parts design.

I think the tip-over point for me going to an LS based motor is if I find myself thinking about springing for FI (like your situation) and considering spending $1700 +/- on aftermarket heads, then the LS swap becomes pretty compelling.

I look forward to the 454 beautification process, even if it's temporary. And I'll jump out of the way with the side discussion so you can continue with your updates.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #656
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
....
I think the tip-over point for me going to an LS based motor is if I find myself thinking about springing for FI (like your situation) and considering spending $1700 +/- on aftermarket heads, then the LS swap becomes pretty compelling.
.....
For me it comes down to dollars and sense (not cents).
Lets "assume" the 454 bottom end is still solid and doesnt need attention. The heads and intake are some of the worst GM ever made for producing power. That means I would need a set of heads, cam, and intake just to get started. Top that with a F/I system and a decent electronic ignition system.
I'm not the type to trust swap meet parts, so that means everything would be new.

Do the math and you can see where a low mileage LS/LT based motor makes more "cents". The cost of purchase and install parts may be 50-60% higher than the mods to the 454, but the base motor already produces more HP/TQ .

As mentioned, time and budget constraints force me to keep the current motor till I find a good deal on a donor. Who knows what may happen if that right deal doesnt fall in my lap.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #657
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Due to a change in plans, my wife and I will be hosting Easter Sunday at our house. Consequently my focus has shifted to making my yard presentable. Unfortunately my sprinkler system controller decided to die and its going to be several days before the replacement arrives.
Meanwhile I'm cleaning up beds and spreading mulch
. Heres 20 bags worth on my front yard. Color will be added to the beds when the new controller gets here
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #658
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

This evening was spent in the back yard. Unfortunately it got dark before I finished so no pics.

I did get a couple of shipments in today. My interior pieces from Brothers Truck Parts arrived.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #659
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Another package arrived that I'm pretty excited about. I ordered a complete LED lighting system from United Pacific to update Jake's exterior lighting.

I'm also going to be using the United Pacific LED turn signal mirrors. I wanted something a bit bigger than the 73-87 sport mirrors, but more attractive than the dumbo mirrors. I opted for the 69-72 Blazer style mirrors which fall somewhere in the middle on size.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #660
83GMCK2500
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 1,471
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Another package arrived that I'm pretty excited about. I ordered a complete LED lighting system from United Pacific to update Jake's exterior lighting.

I'm also going to be using the United Pacific LED turn signal mirrors. I wanted something a bit bigger than the 73-87 sport mirrors, but more attractive than the dumbo mirrors. I opted for the 69-72 Blazer style mirrors which fall somewhere in the middle on size.
I have NEVER heard of UP...huh, interesting. Thank you for that little evening rabbit hole!

Nice looking yard, thanks for sharing.
__________________
Devin

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #661
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I have NEVER heard of UP...huh, interesting. Thank you for that little evening rabbit hole!
Nice looking yard, thanks for sharing.
They are a huge supplier to the big rig industry. Their catalog is massive.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #662
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

While my yard work continues, Aaron is making progress on Jake. The front doors had dumbo mirrors which means they had three large nutserts in the outer skin. Aaron removed the nutserts and welded the holes up.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #663
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

While he had the welder out he went to work on the cowl. Since Jake's cab is an 84 it has the slots for the 81-87 hinges. It also had the holes for the cowl panel to go in.
Aaron made a filler panel for the slots and stitch welded them along with the holes.

Heres a before and during view.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-18-2019 at 08:21 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #664
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 648
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

The 454 could become more spirited w/just a cam bump. Those tiny heads are done 4200 RPM so the cam would be an RV/Towing. Add headers-done.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #665
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid61 View Post
The 454 could become more spirited w/just a cam bump. Those tiny heads are done 4200 RPM so the cam would be an RV/Towing. Add headers-done.
I'm looking for headers now. It will get a free flowing exhaust system and the carb rebuilt. Cam and intake are a remote possibility "if" I find a good deal on an intake.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #666
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 824
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
For me it comes down to dollars and sense (not cents).
Lets "assume" the 454 bottom end is still solid and doesnt need attention. The heads and intake are some of the worst GM ever made for producing power. That means I would need a set of heads, cam, and intake just to get started. Top that with a F/I system and a decent electronic ignition system.
I'm not the type to trust swap meet parts, so that means everything would be new.

Do the math and you can see where a low mileage LS/LT based motor makes more "cents". The cost of purchase and install parts may be 50-60% higher than the mods to the 454, but the base motor already produces more HP/TQ .

As mentioned, time and budget constraints force me to keep the current motor till I find a good deal on a donor. Who knows what may happen if that right deal doesnt fall in my lap.
I get all that for sure (per previous post). To Wikid's point, I think that torque production is probably the strong point of a mildly modded 454 and to your point, expensive, air-moving mods are required to utilize the big block power potential. I lucked into some tri-y headers off of a motorhome and hope to find a decent intake, similar to yourself.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #667
SCOTI
Registered User
 
SCOTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DALLAS,TX
Posts: 17,752
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I'm looking for headers now. It will get a free flowing exhaust system and the carb rebuilt. Cam and intake are a remote possibility "if" I find a good deal on an intake.
A/F/G body car headers work too. I got the headers for my dually (1 3/4" full length; 3" collector) off C-list for $50. I made my own collector flanges 3/8", added o2 sensor bungs, & had them Ceramic coated for about $150.
__________________
67SWB-B.B.RetroRod
64SWB-Recycle
89CCDually-Driver/Tow Truck
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol....
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #668
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Last night I worked late in my yard. After a shower I browsed FB marketplace looking for deals. I ran across a 20 foot Kearny that was priced good enough to get my attention.
Since Jake is 19' and change, he wasn't fitting well on my 18' Kearny. After some negotiations I got a price I couldn't resist. Unfortunately it was a bit of a drive in the country, but I made the deal and headed out.

I rolled in late this evening with a new trailer that's in great condition. Jake has transportation home from the body shop now.
Attached Images
   
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #669
OlySezHey
Registered User
 
OlySezHey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 30
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
...

I'm almost tempted to keep this old gas hog now. Its definitely in need of a Krylon overhaul.
If you do, I'm lookin' 4ward to see how you do it, tips n tricks n watnot
__________________
Genesis 1:1 - Revelation 22:21 🙏
'72 GMC C10 Wide Side Sierra Grande
'77 Chevy C20 CCLB (going to go get it 4/29!!!)
'96 Chevy K2500 Ext cab
'97 Chevy K1500 Tahoe (I gotta stop lookin' at CraigsList when I'm bored!)
OlySezHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #670
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Wrapping up the week, I had to get my yard finished before Sunday. I worked the last bed and spread mulch as the sun started to set. I updated the puppy path so they have a dry walk back from the yard.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #671
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Meanwhile I had to spent some time work on truck stuff. I went by my buddy Berdos shop and picked up some parts.
I desperately needed a set of rear arm rests. I had no idea no one duplicates these. My buddy dug through his stash and found a really nice pair.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #672
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

I also picked up a set of rear bumper brackets for my buddy Mike Losh. Hes do a "budget" build and trying to save a few bucks where he can.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #673
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Since I dont do a good job of sitting still, it was bugging me that I hadn't had a chance to spend quality time with my new trailer. I gave it a well needed bath last night and rolled the spare tire out to see how it looked.
The tire was new, but the rim was not. It had three colors of paint and they were all peeling.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-22-2019 at 09:35 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #674
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

I decided since it was going to be in a prominent place it needed to be restored. I sanded all the flaking paint back and gave it several coats of high build primer
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #675
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

 
N2TRUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 38,858
Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

After the primer cured, I scuffed it down with Scotch Brite and layed down several layers of satin silver. It was a perfect match for the powder coating the Kearny trailers uses on their wheels.
Yes, I painted the back side too
Attached Images
 
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @N2trux.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-22-2019 at 09:54 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com