The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
jr1966

Question horn fuse blowing

Need some ideas as what is culprit. I have Painless wiring and when I pull parking light switch out horn fuse blows. It has a Grant wheel but I did not connect the black wire to the horn kit,was not going to use horn.
Also the front park lights work,blinkers work,brake lights work But tail lights and dash lights do not come on. I guess that is because of horn fuse blowing . Also coming home last night Headlight fuse blew and I had to drive home using a flashlight,That is a lot of fun.
As you can see I need help
Thanks 69 GMC guy
jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: horn fuse blowing

What kind of painless harness do you have? Do you have a newer style fuse panel than the stock 69 panel? I ask because the 69 trucks did not have a horn fuse nor did they have a headlight fuse.

Somewhere in your wiring you must have wired a live wire in the headlight switch to a ground or else you have pinched a hot wire in the headlight switch wiring to ground.

There should be a couple of brown wires off the headlight switch that feed the front parking lights and the rear tail lights. The question is how can the parking lights work and the tail lights don't.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #3
jr1966

Thanks for reply. It is #10206 GM pickup 1967-72 28 circuit harness
New style. manual #90510
I will go down to garage and check switch and excess wiring bundled up that is not needed in the install.
JR
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
jr1966

I checked almost all wiring I could see and so far seems correct. Still the orange wire on light switch gets no juice to operate the tail lights and dash lights. The horn fuse blows every time first.
Does the orange wire get its voltage from the red wire on the switch?
JR
Old 04-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This is the wiring manual for your kit. It shows the horn relay wired to the headlight switch with a 14 gauge green wire but on the switch diagram it doesn't show the wire.
Your headlight switch power wire should be a 12 gauge red wire

Here's you're kit and the headlight wiring starts in section 8.0 Pg 14

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/90510.pdf

The headlight switch should get it's power for the headlights off the 12 gauge red wire from the harness to one of the main terminals on the switch and it transfers the power to the blue wire to the dimmer switch.

The orange wire which you have no power to, should get it's voltage from the fuse panel, and it also powers the stop light switch and the dome/interior lights.
When you turn the park lights on, the orange wire powers the brown tail light wires and the front parking lights.
At the same time it powers the gray wire for the dash lights. In the stock harness this is a green wire from the headlight switch to the fuse panel and a gray wire from the fuse panel to the dash cluster plug. There is also a grounding lug on the Headlight switch to ground the white wire for the dome light when you turn the knob CCW.
You may have a bad headlight switch that is grounding the brown wires to the parking lights when you turn on the parking lights.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
jr1966

Red face Re: horn fuse blowing

Thanks for the info Vet but it came down to my 73 year old stupidity. 3 days looking before finding I had mashed 2 of the wires going back to the rear thru the frame with washers and nuts when I put new coil springs on. I am sure glad to finish that job. Again Thanks for the help.
JR I am learning
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1966 View Post
Thanks for the info Vet but it came down to my 73 year old stupidity. 3 days looking before finding I had mashed 2 of the wires going back to the rear thru the frame with washers and nuts when I put new coil springs on. I am sure glad to finish that job. Again Thanks for the help.
JR I am learning
Well don't beat yourself up about It. I'm 72 and I've had my share of screw ups along the road.
Feels good when you fix it. Give us a holler if you need anything else. VV

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 04-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
jr1966

Oh yes, feels great. I was smiling ear to ear when I felt tho wires under the washer. Now I can get ready to paint.
Thanks