The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
jfnar

AutoMeter wiring help

I bought a 67-72 gauge cluster that has had AutoMeter gauges added to it. It has oil pressure, water temp, volts, and tach. Unfortunately a previous owner has simply clipped all the wires and senders. The oil pressure gauge has a small copper tube attached so I think all I have to do is run the oil tube to it. The water temp has a stiff black cable so I'll probably have to find a replacement sender. Not sure where to get it. The volt meter probably just needs + and ground wires attached. The tachometer has 3 wires; black, red, and green. Any help with the correct wiring of the tachometer and suggestions for the other gauges will be greatly appreciated.

jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: AutoMeter wiring help

Your Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges are mechanical. You can run a new 1/8'' copper line to an oil pressure port on the block, but I think the water temperature is a whole unit -- the gauge, line and in-head temp probe are sealed in an all-is-one unit. I could be wrong. Contact Auto Meter customer service/tech line to confirm.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

I have a 3-3/8'' Auto Meter tach, p/n2650-504. Mine has no wires coming out [except black + white instrument lighting leads]. It has three male spade terminals: one terminal marked ''Signal'', one terminal marked ''+12V'', and one terminal marked ''Ground''.
We might guess the red is for 12VDC, but both green and black are used for ground in different applications. One for ground and one for Tach pickup. Ground lead goes to a chassis ground. Tach 'Signal' lead goes to coil Negative terminal [points] or TACH terninal on HEI.
So to avoid frying your tach with the wrong guess, it's one more question for the A.M. tech rep. Email them at:
service@autometer.com
or call:
815/ 895-8141

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-14-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
jfnar

I think I found the info on the tach. Red to +12v, Black to ground, green to the coil. I'm going to buy a new water temp meter. I think that should get it all going.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
I think I found the info on the tach. Red to +12v, Black to ground, green to the coil. I'm going to buy a new water temp meter. I think that should get it all going.
There ya go. Adios.