The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
RedBed

Tight Steering

Through a series of unfortunate events, the local dealership broke my ignition, end eventually had to rebuild the whole steering column of my '79.

They replaced bearings and ignition gear kit, and rebuilt the column, and waived the entire labor fee.

So when I finally got the truck back, it is all solid, but the steering is a bit tight. Not really hard to turn, but tight enough that it wants to stay in whatever position it is in.

If there is something slightly over tightened in the column, does anyone know where it is and what I need to loosen? Or is it just something new that needs to break in?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
LuvNLife

Re: Tight Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBed View Post
Through a series of unfortunate events, the local dealership broke my ignition, end eventually had to rebuild the whole steering column of my '79.

They replaced bearings and ignition gear kit, and rebuilt the column, and waived the entire labor fee.

So when I finally got the truck back, it is all solid, but the steering is a bit tight. Not really hard to turn, but tight enough that it wants to stay in whatever position it is in.

If there is something slightly over tightened in the column, does anyone know where it is and what I need to loosen? Or is it just something new that needs to break in?

Thanks
That makes 2 of us. I just had a rebuilt tilt column (from a very reputable rebuilder) installed in mine several days ago to replace a non-tilt column, and I have exactly the same situation...
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
LuvNLife

to the top...
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
abig84

i wonder if thats just how it is because everything is new and doesnt have 38 years of wear on it?

i always hated when i replaced my front end parts, went from everything very loose and easy to turn with one finger to having to use your hand.

most the old columns i have you can just spin around freely when they are out of the truck though
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Replaced my column a few months ago and it was solid and tight, still solid but not as tight.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
RedBed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
i wonder if thats just how it is because everything is new and doesnt have 38 years of wear on it?

i always hated when i replaced my front end parts, went from everything very loose and easy to turn with one finger to having to use your hand.

most the old columns i have you can just spin around freely when they are out of the truck though
I wondered that too, but after driving it again, it is just too tight. It should right itself after a turn but it doesn't. And I can only assume that it is in the column since that is what was rebuilt.

Hopefully someone who has had this problem (and fixed it) will chime in. I really don't want to send it back to the guys who didn't get it right in the first place.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
cadillac_al

It sounds like the dealership used your column for a training exercise for the young guys. If it is really too stiff I would bring it back and tell them the problem and that you are scared of getting in an accident. I'm sure they wouldn't want any part of that liability and they can do the training exercise over again and learn where they went wrong.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
RedBed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
It sounds like the dealership used your column for a training exercise for the young guys. If it is really too stiff I would bring it back and tell them the problem and that you are scared of getting in an accident. I'm sure they wouldn't want any part of that liability and they can do the training exercise over again and learn where they went wrong.
If you had been through what I have been through then you wouldn't take it back there either...

Nope, that would be my last resort. If it is something that needs adjustment near the top of the column, then I can probably handle it (maybe) , and if it is further down and complicated, then I have a guy I trust, and will just have to dole out a few $$.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
69heavychevy

I rebuilt my tilt column about a couple years ago. Afterwards the only thing tight on it was the tilt mechanism. The turning was super smooth and effortless. The only part I re-used on that column was the tilt tension/return spring. Everything else was replaced.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:58 AM   #10
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Do you have an after market steering wheel?

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
homemade87

Do you think they might have tried to adjust the power steering sector with the adjuster . The way it sounds who knows what they did . One way to find out , remove the rag joint and see how it feels .

No way a steering column should keep the steering from returning . If it turns out to be the column its time for it to come back apart . Even a newly rebuild column should be smooth without much resistance .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
RedBed

Yes, I do have an aftermarket steering wheel, but it's been on there for a while and no problems before this "fix".

Whenever I search "tight steering" on the web, I come up with a lot of references to the steering gear box... so maybe they did adjust it as well and it's too tight?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Had issue with a customers truck once after column was replaced with a rebuilt one. The steering wheel was rubbing column and would do same as your describing. Check to make sure it’s not rubbing

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
LuvNLife

I heard back from Wayne at gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com, who I got my column from.

He's a bit stumped as well. Here's his reply:

"To check the column itself: disconnect the intermediate shaft from the end of the column (under the hood). You should be able to compress the intermediate shaft enough to get it off. That shaft is made to collapse. Once that is disconnected, turn the wheel and see how it feels by itself. "

In my case, I went from a fixed to a tilt column, and I do have an aftermarket wheel.

It's a tough subject to search on the interweb, but I did find a post where someone had extremely overtightened the shaft nut, and it caused a bind. One other that had the binding had to shave a few hundreths off of the intermediate shaft and that cured it. I'll try to find out what's what this week with mine...
Old 09-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
RedBed

I spoke to my mechanic buddy and he thinks that it is a snap ring that isn't set correctly that could be jamming the wheel, or improperly installed Tilt.

He said he will take a look at it in a week or so. I will try to get pics and post what the problem was.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #16
cadillac_al

I don't find it very easy to collapse a steering shaft. If I need to remove an intermediate shaft I would disconnect it at each end and loosen the column under the dash to pull it back an inch.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #17
LuvNLife

OK; got my truck back today, and it steers great.

I'm not the best at using the correct terms for things, so keep that in mind.

At the rag joint is a knuckle with a set screw in it. That set screw has a pointed or cone shaped end on it. When they ran it down, the knuckle moved and caused the bind. The fix was to grind the set screw flat, hit it with some Locktite, and problem solved.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #18
Pontiac1976

Quote:
I spoke to my mechanic buddy and he thinks that it is a snap ring that isn't set correctly that could be jamming the wheel, or improperly installed Tilt.
Or the wheel nut is to tight Might over tightened
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
RedBed

My Buddy broke down the column, and found that there is play in the center shaft enough to knock the top bearing out of place. He thinks maybe they used the wrong bearings...?

Unfortunately mine is NOT fixed yet. Just trying to figure it out still...
Old 11-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #20
RedBed

FOLLOW UP: Finally fixed.... ughhhh.

Finally had to take my truck to a local mechanic I trusted (who happens to own an old squarebody) to have him repair the column.

Turns out when the dealership "repaired" it, they basically got the lower bearing in crooked, installed the upper bearing upside down, pinched the horn wire, and broke the turn signal switch. He said there wasn't much they didn't screw up. Between parts and labor over time, their screwup cost me over $350.00.

So I'll be copying all the receipts and contacting the manager of the chain of dealerships to give him a play-by-play of this whole cr*pstorm. I will give them the chance to offer to reimburse me for all of it. If that doesn't happen, then I'll kick it up a notch.

Truly unbelievable.

Last edited by RedBed; 11-04-2017 at 12:58 AM.
RedBed is offline   Reply With Quote