The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
malc1080

1980 Chevy suburban emission sticker

Hi Everyone ,

Does anyone here own a 1979-1980 Chevy suburban with factory 454(California approved emission standard)? I would like a picture of the emission sticker with the diagram of all the routings please! I need to know how this 1980 suburban came off the factory line and want to see all the smog components. Please and thank you!

Last edited by malc1080; 11-06-2020 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Engine size
malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 1980 Chevy suburban emission sticker

Seems you can create an account at Autozone and access their archives of labels.

https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-...00c1528004c3cb
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Seems you can create an account at Autozone and access their archives of labels.

https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-...00c1528004c3cb

They don’t have it. I went and asked and they just offered a book repair manual on emissions. My only hope is someone who owns a 79-80 suburban factory 454 and someone taking a picture for me. Someone has one lol. It’s just a matter a
of waiting for someone that is willing to help. I see a lot of them for sale by classic collection dealers but I don’t think they will help me out if I’m not interested in buy. I can imagine can imagine calling those dealers to take a picture of the emission sticker and them just laugh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc1080 View Post
They don’t have it. I went and asked and they just offered a book repair manual on emissions. My only hope is someone who owns a 79-80 suburban factory 454 and someone taking a picture for me. Someone has one lol. It’s just a matter a
of waiting for someone that is willing to help. I see a lot of them for sale by classic collection dealers but I don’t think they will help me out if I’m not interested in buy. I can imagine can imagine calling those dealers to take a picture of the emission sticker and them just laugh
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems it's worth a shot to try regardless since your need is specific. Tell them you want an image as info for your paper work to make sure you have all your ducks in a row for emissions qualification.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
bhc41051

You might want to invest in one of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Chevy-...MAAOSwtrxfeDPz
Attached Images

bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Wgesnerjr

These books are so much help. I own one for each of my vehicles. Great source for reapir back to the way Chevy made them.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project

Last edited by Wgesnerjr; 11-08-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
malc1080

Thank you all for replying and helping me. I apologize for spamming the page. I already got in trouble. It just unfortunate i can’t get the help when it’s just a simple sticker picture and when I was posting like crazy was just out of desperation and frustration that I’m trying to do the right thing and help the planet and not be “smog”. (Because there will always be dirty smog guys that will pass anything because this world is all about the money). And in the end, My footprint won’t even do much for the money and time I’m spending to find original parts.
I talked to so many smog places, lmc don’t have the decals, etc..

I have the manual but the same diagram is labeled as heavy duty on a forum called snow plow and that’s what’s O’Reilly gave me on a print out. Auto zone was just trying to sell me the Haynes emission book and when I found the book on offer up, I asked the seller if it has what I’m looking for and never replied, just read it..

So I can only Hope that it was titled heavy duty as an error and trust the manual since it has it on the light duty manual and is not title heavy duty, then it should be correct. But that will be ignorant of me because i found a contradiction and now I need to know the real answer. The manual mentions heavy duty on some parts of the reading so I don’t know. And there is a chance I buy the parts and could of been following for a heavy duty which will not be approved by the state referee since heavy duty for more relaxed on smog.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
SilverMiner

malc1080 - You are going to have to follow bhc41051's advice and acquire the shop manual he pointed you to here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc41051 View Post
You might want to invest in one of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Chevy-...MAAOSwtrxfeDPz
I'll include the relevant schematic page here, but your're going to need the WHOLE book to get everything installed right. The emissions section alone is 40 pages of detailed information. There are PDF versions of this manual floating around, but for the price the physical copy can't be beat for convenience in the shop.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #9
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMiner View Post
malc1080 - You are going to have to follow bhc41051's advice and acquire the shop manual he pointed you to here:

I'll include the relevant schematic page here, but your're going to need the WHOLE book to get everything installed right. The emissions section alone is 40 pages of detailed information. There are PDF versions of this manual floating around, but for the price the physical copy can't be beat for convenience in the shop.
Correct. I have the whole manual but you see how the diagram is not labeled on the manual. So it’s safe to assume it’s for light weight since it’s in a light weight manual. BUT, that same diagram is labeled “Heavy Duty” on a forum called snow plow and it’s the print out O’Reilly gave me and that’s where I’m not sure if it’s safe to assume that it’s not for heavy duty. Plus it has like 4 diagrams for the Other engines and just weird that just 1 for 454. I can’t be that lucky lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #10
malc1080

I just want to make sure it really doesn’t have EGR and no vacuum line to the intake before i go buying an intake manifold with no vacuum line connection and EGR.. All the other engines from Cali in the manual have EGR and vacuum connection to the intake Manifold , just like what my emission sticker on my 1980 for its original 5.7, which was removed (not by me. Got it that way). Maybe the 454 didnt come that way? Who knows.. that’s all i want to confirm....But I’ll just give up on asking and I’ll just explain to the state ref that that’s what the book shows and I’ll just be a smart ass about it. Thanks everyone. I’ll just bury this post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
mikentosh

You need to go back to a smog place and sweet talk your way into having a look at their reference manual and look up your exact config in there. It will list out every configuration for 1980 and show you what emissions controls are needed. This is the reference the smog guy will use when doing a visual inspection.

I’ve attached a photo of my 1977 configuration to show you what it looks like.
Attached Images

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote