The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
malc1080

Starting the engine with no transmission

Hi everyone,

I know You can start an engine with no transmission but I want you l make sure if it’s ok if I start my engine with a blown transmission with no oil and still attached to the engine.

So my th400 is blown and I took the oil pan off to look at what happen and saw the broken pieces of clutch material. It will take me a few years to get the transmission rebuilt but I was to still be able to turn on the engine once in a while so the engine won’t go dry and bad. I just don’t know what can happen since the transmission has no oil and still attached. Idk if the engine will try to turn the flex plate or torque converter. I’m obviously not knowledgeable so any help I will appreciate. Thank you

(Blown Th400 has no oil, still attached to engine, and I removed a few screws from the flex plate to bring out the trans but ran out of money)
malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Starting the engine with no transmission

you can if the trans is blown its blown you really arent going to hurt it any worse id probbly re attach the torque convertor bolts so that youre not damaging your flywheel im assuming its still in the truck?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
you can if the trans is blown its blown you really arent going to hurt it any worse id probbly re attach the torque convertor bolts so that youre not damaging your flywheel im assuming its still in the truck?
Thank you! I was more concerned about my motor since it’s a really good motor. Yes it’s still attached to the truck. I’ll put back those two screws I removed from the fly wheel. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #4
kwmech

Not going to damage the flywheel if the convertor is not bolted to it. Just make sure the convertor is pushed back into the bell housing, should give you about 1/4'' clearance.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

2nd the idea to fully disconnect the converter. Especially if that transmission is the one you plan on rebuilding. Even if you drained the fluid from the pan, lots of fluid can remain in the converter. Why risk something trying to turn while you are running the motor and do yet more damage to the transmission?
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
malc1080

Thank you everyone for replying. I was able to start the engine after 6 months of not starting. Started for a few mins. Just had oil spill from the transmission lines since I didn’t screw them all the way but I didn’t know there will still be that much oil left. Just glad I was able to turn it on.
Posted via Mobile Device