The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
Brownsquare

Floor shifter for Saginaw 3-speed '87.

Hello all. I'm in the process of getting my '87 ready for summer. I'm 3/4 of the way through new cab mounts (had to drill out every stinkin' bolt but one!) and am installing a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. I re-sealed the Saginaw 3-speed so it should be ready to go. Only thing is I have had ZERO luck finding missing linkage components for the 3-speed column shift.

At this point I've pretty much given up and resigned myself to cutting a hole and going with a floor shifter. Here's the thing: I'm trying to do it on a budget and don't want to spend $500 on a Hurst Mastershift for a trans I might not keep in the truck (I want to keep it a stick but might eventually go with a 4 or 5 speed).

I've been looking on FB marketplace and have found quite a few factory 'ITM' shifters for Camaros/Firebirds with all linkage for $100 or less. That's more budget friendly. Has anyone on here used one of these? Should I go for it or run from it?

Curious to know what you guys recommend for other options? Thank you! -Marc.
Brownsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Re: Floor shifter for Saginaw 3-speed '87.

I have the Hurst 3 speed master shift. I switched to 4 speed. Used about 1 year. PM me if interested. I also have the correct Hurst truck handle that goes with it. Lot cheaper than new.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:03 AM   #3
geezer#99

You don’t need to use a just a 3 speed shifter.
A 4 speed one will work.
I used a hurst competition plus on my sag 3 speed. Had to bend up some shifter rods for it.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:06 AM   #4
D13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsquare View Post
Hello all. I'm in the process of getting my '87 ready for summer. I'm 3/4 of the way through new cab mounts (had to drill out every stinkin' bolt but one!) and am installing a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. I re-sealed the Saginaw 3-speed so it should be ready to go. Only thing is I have had ZERO luck finding missing linkage components for the 3-speed column shift.

Curious to know what you guys recommend for other options? Thank you! -Marc.
I have a complete 3 speed column, rods and all, over by Port Huron MI. Was dropped from the dash last week to get to the brake pedals. Rods are still attached to the trans. Truck has been sitting for some time but shifted fine when parked, spent most of its time in 1st/reverse on the farm. PM me if you are interested.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:32 PM   #5
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I have a complete 3 speed column, rods and all, over by Port Huron MI. Was dropped from the dash last week to get to the brake pedals. Rods are still attached to the trans. Truck has been sitting for some time but shifted fine when parked, spent most of its time in 1st/reverse on the farm. PM me if you are interested.

I got some too. Holler if D13 can't help you.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
shambles

Hello,

Apologies for Thread stealing. I'm also looking for 3 speed column Linkage. If Brownsquare isn't interested, I might be.

Thanks.
shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
Brownsquare

Thanks guys, it looks like D13 has me hooked up! I just need to get out there and harvest parts! Thank you for all the replies, you guys are great! -Marc.
Brownsquare is offline   Reply With Quote