The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
darkone

Whats a Fair Price for Metallic Paint Job on Sandblasted longbox woodbed

Hey all, so, im meeting with my paint guy tomorrow to settle the details on the paint job for my c20. The truck has been sandblasted by myself (hell of an experience) and 90% of the body work done.

My guy said he would like $2000 for the paint job, and is expecting me to to a bulk of the blocking/sanding. This price does not include materials, materials will be additional (primarily just paint, i have body filler)
I am hoping to get a days worth of body work, and detailing with the guy before we start laying on paint.

My question is, does this sound fair? The truck will be in a professional spray booth, and the guy does some pretty nice candy's and says he does some show cars.

Im really a newb, and just looking to make sure i dont get taken. Im estimating no more than $1000 for materials for primer, metallic base coat, clear coat. Do these numbers seem to line up, or does this sound a tadwack? =) any advice appreciated. thanks!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Orangetonicclicc

Re: Whats a Fair Price for Metallic Paint Job on Sandblasted longbox woodbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Hey all, so, im meeting with my paint guy tomorrow to settle the details on the paint job for my c20. The truck has been sandblasted by myself (hell of an experience) and 90% of the body work done.

My guy said he would like $2000 for the paint job, and is expecting me to to a bulk of the blocking/sanding. This price does not include materials, materials will be additional (primarily just paint, i have body filler)
I am hoping to get a days worth of body work, and detailing with the guy before we start laying on paint.

My question is, does this sound fair? The truck will be in a professional spray booth, and the guy does some pretty nice candy's and says he does some show cars.

Im really a newb, and just looking to make sure i dont get taken. Im estimating no more than $1000 for materials for primer, metallic base coat, clear coat. Do these numbers seem to line up, or does this sound a tadwack? =) any advice appreciated. thanks!
Honestly that seems pretty steep. for all the work you've done. Although Candy is not the easiest thing to paint. your paint job is as good as the body work. I paid $4000.00 for my paint job and the guy did it all and that including paint. Ask around. but most guys who are really good painters like to do the body work thereselves. i think you can get it cheaper. Try to find a college that teaches autobody.
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
stich626
Account Suspended

yes thats fair, because, no matter how much prep you've done.. he's gonna be doing more, what's good and straight to you/me/etc isn't to a good painter..
yes you might be blocking the primer, but his time will be taken up as he picks it apart before he mixes paint..
if it was a case of you bring it and he just starts to shoot on color then yes 2000 in labor is high..
but most good painters are not gonna spray over your prep work without going over it, because the final job's got his name on it.. and your truck is a billboard of his work..
and he will be doing prep to make it look good ..
my dad loves when a person brings him a vehicle and says it's all prep'd just spray it..
he walks around it, with a wax pen and has a field day..
most times after the 2nd try and getting muilt wax pen marks on panels, they let him finish prep'n it for paint..
if they bark and say just paint it.. he sends them to maacco
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
darkone

and what should i be expecting as a minimum paint cost from start to finish for a nice out of the factory look?
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
and what should i be expecting as a minimum paint cost from start to finish for a nice out of the factory look?
I paid $4500.00 for my Body work.
The paint (and any other "touch-up) Body work is gonna be another $5K.

When I was getting Estimates in 2009 for BOTH Paint AND Body Work, the estimate was $9.5K and 3 Months from Start to Finish.
I live in California, if that makes a difference.

But it is true that your paint job is only as good as your body work.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Orangetonicclicc

Stitch makes very excellent points. If that is the case, I agree!!!! That would be a fair price especially if he is good at spraying candy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

First of all,it would be nice to know what part of the country you are in. Economies vary from region to region,so labor prices do also. The guy says he has painted show cars? Have you seen any of his work? Does he keep a photo album? How did you get on to this guy?...Great reputation? It sounds like the job you want will require an above average painter,so I hope you landed with this one from some sort of reputation. I think $2,000 labor sounds fair. I would assume we are not talking a quicky like Maaco does. You shouldn't assume. You should ask specific questions. As Stitch said,a good painter won't do paint like that without going over it with a fine tooth comb. He knows what it needs to lay nicely. Around here a good paint job costs about $4,000 on the average.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-27-2011 at 07:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Lee H

Don't assume the $2K includes final body work. You can walk around any car show and find defects that most normal folks would not have painted over.

As for prices, I'm in SoCal and have 3 quotes to do my 72. No rust, minimal dents, very little waves in one rear fender, patch panel the two dealer installed gas doors, includes jambs. Inside of cab extra, does not include inside of bed as I plan on rhino lining. I R&R all trim, glass, etc. $4.5, $9.7, $10.2. The $4.5 shop went out of business about a month after the quote.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote