The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wiper switch & motor wiring - Is this correct?

1971 C-10

Lots of information on how these are wired. Some of it wrong, including a manual or two. At any rate, I'm hoping for confirmation or correction. Especially for operation of the Light Blue and Dark Blue wires. Thanks for any input.

Wiring: The following descriptions are from the top down for the switch in a mounted position.

18 AWG Light Blue: Operates the wipers (high/low). This wire runs to the dual pins on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

18 AWG Dark Blue: Operates the washer. This wire runs to the dual pins in the bottom of the motor. NOTE: The bottom is the widest of the two dual connector/pins on the motor.

18 AWG Black: Ground wire. This wire connects to the single pin on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

Other:

18 AWG Yellow: This wire runs from inside the fuse box to the connector on the bottom of the motor. A second yellow wire leads from this connector to the dual pin connector on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

NOTE: Yellow was positioned on the bottom of both dual connectors.

TS means truck side.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Wiper switch & motor wiring - Is this correct?

Excellent demonstration and explanation. I copied the image, but can't seem to locate the culprit at the moment:

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

On a side note, I discovered white vinegar is your friend for a washer that sat for 30 years or so. Course we're dry and this was garaged. Between the WV and my lungs, the washer went from not working to filling a bottle in no time. Dilute with distilled water, I don't know, maybe 70-30 favoring WV...................Course be sure to rinse the pump well, and run wash fluid through it. I'm guessing the fluid has some lubricant.

Think "next time" I'll use the small shop vac and "MacGyver" attachment instead of the lungs. I may have pulled once or twice (yikes!). It was a while ago.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Wiper switch & motor wiring - Is this correct?

The wiper motor with washer.

The washer motor is a 12 volt straight and the ground wire goes to the switch and grounds the pump motor to make it work.
The wiring is in the top of drawing.

Here is the link you can blow it up to see the wires.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

.................................................................................................... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
1971 C-10

Lots of information on how these are wired. Some of it wrong, including a manual or two. At any rate, I'm hoping for confirmation or correction. Especially for operation of the Light Blue and Dark Blue wires. Thanks for any input.
The most important and basic thing to remember is that the wiper switch is a grounding side switch. Meaning that it controls the negative side of the circuit rather than the positive side like most switches. There are no hot wires going to the wiper switch. The only hot wire to the wipers is the yellow wire from the fuse panel.

You are right, the original wiring diagram and the manuals show a mistake in the connections on the wiper motor which is a direct short to ground. I believe that it is only in the drawing and not on the wiper motors or there would have been lots of recalls.

Here is a picture of the incorrect and the corrected diagrams. Andy's diagram shows the wrong way and I have a closer view.

Wrong.

Name:  Wiper error.jpg
Views: 8170
Size:  17.1 KB

Correct

Attachment 1628093

See how the ground wire is move up to the empty teminal and not connected to the yellow wires directly.

Name:  Wiper correct.JPG
Views: 7189
Size:  54.4 KB

Wiring: The following descriptions are from the top down for the switch in a mounted position.

18 AWG Black: Operates on/off. This wire connects to the single pin on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

It would be the grounding connection to the switch and the motor.

18 AWG Dark Blue: Operates the washer. This wire runs to the dual pins in the bottom of the motor. NOTE: The bottom is the widest of the two dual connector/pins on the motor.
[/B]

18 AWG Light Blue: Operates the wipers (high/low). This wire runs to the dual pins on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

Name:  IMG_0367 (Small).JPG
Views: 4937
Size:  56.5 KB

18 AWG Yellow: This wire runs from inside the fuse box to the connector on the bottom of the motor. A second yellow wire leads from this connector to the dual pin connector on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

NOTE: Yellow was positioned on the bottom of both dual connectors.

Name:  CUP WIPER WIRING (1).jpg
Views: 21773
Size:  43.8 KB

Edit: TS means truck side.
This is vague to me, can you elaborate.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is a diagram of the AC without the colored wires that are labeled and it is clearer. It also shows the circuit without the anti-dieseling relay.

Name:  fourseasdiag.jpg
Views: 4379
Size:  91.9 KB

I see that it does not show a power wire on the B terminal of the switch, perhaps because the AD relay is missing. The power wire in that case would almost have to be the same orange wire that goes to the fan relay.

check the legend on the left side of the diagram and see the switch positions for the different speeds.

By the way -Kudos to you for your detailed description of your problems.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The wiper motor with washer.

The washer motor is a 12 volt straight and the ground wire goes to the switch and grounds the pump motor to make it work.
The wiring is in the top of drawing.

Here is the link you can blow it up to see the wires.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856

Thanks for that link etc. and I'll correct the OP. Speak of ground wires, and I could be mistaken, but you gave me a hint that black wires = ground.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow Vette thanks...........Awesome diagrams, and perfect image.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wow Vette thanks...........Awesome diagrams, and perfect image.

Gotta keep up my street cred.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Wiper switch & motor wiring - Is this correct?

When i did the electric pump mod on my 71 I had a heck of a time figuring out why it wouldn't work and why I kept blowing fuses. I finally figured that the switch was the ground wire not the hot!

By the way Vette is the man on this board to go to for electrical stuff. I try but he is who learned me on it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote