The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
BBCamaro

Remove stud from mirror bracket

What is the best way to remove a broken stud from the stainless mirror bracket???
BBCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Remove stud from mirror bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCamaro View Post
What is the best way to remove a broken stud from the stainless mirror bracket???

Pictures would help, or more info. That is a pretty vague question.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
BBCamaro

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1552433156. Any suggestions on how to remove this stud?? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1552433156. Any suggestions on how to remove this stud?? Thanks

I would start by soaking the whole end in penetrating oil for a few days, then put a little heat on the bolt itself. A propane or Mapp Gas torch might do it. Let it cool back down and put more penetrating oil on it before trying to unscrew it. If you don't have enough penetrating oil to cover the whole end you can make some using ATF and Acetone mixed 50/50. It works good. Just remember that all of that stuff is flammable....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
jocko

If, after you do all that Leon mentioned (and it's important to do that first), and vice grips don't hack it - you might consider drilling a hole through its width so that you can insert a metal shaft and get some leverage on it. The shaft will have to be small dia (probably no more than half the diameter of the stud) and you'll have to ensure you're very centered when you drill. Only drill the hole very slightly larger than the shaft you find to stick in there - i.e. get the shaft before you drill the hole. Last resort is to just search for the angle arm replacement on the parts board. But folks usually like to sell mirrors as a complete assembly. A WTB ad for just that part might turn up a spare someone has lying around.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If, after you do all that Leon mentioned (and it's important to do that first), and vice grips don't hack it - you might consider drilling a hole through its width so that you can insert a metal shaft and get some leverage on it. The shaft will have to be small dia (probably no more than half the diameter of the stud) and you'll have to ensure you're very centered when you drill. Only drill the hole very slightly larger than the shaft you find to stick in there - i.e. get the shaft before you drill the hole. Last resort is to just search for the angle arm replacement on the parts board. But folks usually like to sell mirrors as a complete assembly. A WTB ad for just that part might turn up a spare someone has lying around.

Something to keep in mind is that he can't post a WTB ad unless he is a Premium member.....(name in Blue)

BBCamaro, If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain all of the membership options.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Huh, I thought those were integral to the mirror arm and not studs.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Something to keep in mind is that he can't post a WTB ad unless he is a Premium member.....(name in Blue)

BBCamaro, If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain all of the membership options.

LockDoc
Good catch Leon, sorry didn't catch that.

BBCamaro - highly recommend the few bucks a year to subscribe, it's worth it.
In addition to that - you might bum an arm off the 8 lug slot dude if you give him a call:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Huh, I thought those were integral to the mirror arm and not studs.
I think you're right Pete, in which case it might take a little more leverage than gained by drilling a hole and sticking a bar thru it... :
Now this makes me want to go get up and check my mirrors - but I do seem to recall this being the case the when I had the DG4s apart on my white C20. Hmm.
BBCamaro - recommend yank that washer thingy off and confirm.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I’d love to be wrong as I have an otherwise nice arm in the same predicament. I also have a Nos pair of arms and I remember thinking the threaded ends looked as if they were spun from the metal. In later years the arms had threaded holes and affixed the mirror with a bolt.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I've never had one apart. I was just going by what the OP said about it being a bolt.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

They are, in fact, part of the elbow/arm, not studs. The elbows were also chromed steel rather than stainless. I was faced with the same dilemma a number of times over the many years I've owned my truck.

My solution, but perhaps not desirable to a purist:
As DeadheadNM mentioned in post 10, later years were tapped for bolts. A couple of other advantages of these is that they are stainless (so they don't rust) and were used by other manufacturers on their vehicles. Disadvantages are that the lengths on each side of the bend may vary and bolts just don't look correct. To take advantage of the pluses and minimize the differences, I made stainless studs by cutting off the heads of stainless bolts and found some acorn nuts with the right shape. The only acorn nuts I found that had close to the correct shape were the chrome variety. The only other things needed were some stainless washers and some nylon washers. Pictures below show the details on the originals and what I did.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #13
NewBayColony

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
They are, in fact, part of the elbow/arm, not studs. The elbows were also chromed steel rather than stainless. I was faced with the same dilemma a number of times over the many years I've owned my truck.

My solution, but perhaps not desirable to a purist:
As DeadheadNM mentioned in post 10, later years were tapped for bolts. A couple of other advantages of these is that they are stainless (so they don't rust) and were used by other manufacturers on their vehicles. Disadvantages are that the lengths on each side of the bend may vary and bolts just don't look correct. To take advantage of the pluses and minimize the differences, I made stainless studs by cutting off the heads of stainless bolts and found some acorn nuts with the right shape. The only acorn nuts I found that had close to the correct shape were the chrome variety. The only other things needed were some stainless washers and some nylon washers. Pictures below show the details on the originals and what I did.
So I take it that you used the elbows off another, newer type of mirror? Looks fine to me. I would be very happy with that result.
72 GMC 1500 2wd short stepside 250 4sp
78 GMC 2500 4x Longstepper 292 4sp
54 6400 Chevy 5 window 4 sp 2sp vac rear end Shell oil truck/dump truck (Norman)
NewBayColony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBayColony View Post
So I take it that you used the elbows off another, newer type of mirror? Looks fine to me. I would be very happy with that result.
Correct. I think those pictured came from a late 70s Chevy van. I have found similar arms on some Ford trucks as late as the mid 90s. Many have some dimensional differences. Some tuck the mirror head a bit closer to the door if mounted with the shorter "leg" in that position. Attached is a picture of a mirror on my truck with an arm having a slightly shorter leg.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
BBCamaro

Thanks for all the info .. they are indeed part of the arm and not a stud .
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #16
BBCamaro

Has anyone ever tried to drill out and tap the arm?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
Smitty

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried to drill out and tap the arm?
Looked on the clearance pile this afternoon. Have two complete units. One with very bad chrome and one that came painted. Both looking for a new home. Will try to get pictures tomorrow! No mirror heads.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote