The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
1970FathomBlueMalibu

wheel and tire package?

I have an '08 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with about 28K on the odometer. Virtually zero problems, except the factory tires are junk.

I have the factory 17" chrome steel wheels. I hate them, but I don't think I have the money to upgrade them at this time. I DO need tires, however.

I don't put a ton of miles on the truck. Maybe around 200 miles a week. Half of that is highway and the other half is fairly rough dirt roads here in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. Lots of loose gravel and when it rains......plenty of mud. I live in a very rural area. I only have a 2WD, so anything the tires can do to help is great.

I'd like a much more aggressive tire that better fits my needs, due to the terrain. Not overly expensive, because I definitely want to step up to better wheels, at some point. But, something has to be done soon, as I just had a flat last week that required a plug.

I've been looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers

http://www.nittotire.com/

I've read mixed reviews on the Nitto's. Might be because the air pressure owners are running, however.

...or Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaATZRadial

I was thinking 265/60/17's.

Questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with either of these tires?

2. Any better tire recommendations for my application?

3. Any modifications need to be done to my truck?

4. How wide are the stock 17's on my truck?

5. What is the factory backspacking on the wheels? The offset?

6. They are 6-lug. What is the bolt pattern? 6 x 5.5" or something different?

FWIW, I'm looking for a slightly aggressive look without toooooooo much of a concern of road noise.

Also, my brother is a GM tech and he says if I have to run an oddball tire pressure, he can tune the computer to accept whatever I like, so a warning light isn't an issue.

He also says that I can get a program from GM, for about $50, to tune any wheel and tire package I can come up with in the future.

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I bought my Silverado brand new and haven't done anything but change the oil and have the steering wheel and a tire pressure replaced (under warranty).

I'm a big-time gearhead, but my experience is all on classic muscle, as I have 3 Chevelles and have tinkered with tons of other stuff. Just not my 08 Silverado.

Anything I might have left out?

I'd like to post a pic of my truck on here, but I don't know how........

Last edited by 1970FathomBlueMalibu; 03-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.
1970FathomBlueMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Re: wheel and tire package?

Sigh. Well, I was hoping to get some input, but none so far.

Looks like I'll go with the Mickey Thompsons.

I'm still possibly looking at upgrading wheels too, but I just don't see enough trucks like mine, with aftermarket rolling stock, to know what's going to look good or not.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Does anyone know if 285/70/17's will fit a 2008 Silverado?

It's a 2WD CrewCab and sits at stock ride height on the current factory 245/70/17's.

I have so much extra space in the wheelwells that it's ridiculous. I want to fill them up with a moderately aggressive offroad-type tire that still functions on the highway.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
jgreene0717
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970FathomBlueMalibu View Post
Does anyone know if 285/70/17's will fit a 2008 Silverado?

It's a 2WD CrewCab and sits at stock ride height on the current factory 245/70/17's.

I have so much extra space in the wheelwells that it's ridiculous. I want to fill them up with a moderately aggressive offroad-type tire that still functions on the highway.
285/70/17 Specs
Overall Diam. 32.8"
Rim width 7.5" to 9.5" wheel
Section width 11.5"

265/70/17 Specs
Overall Diam. 31.7"
Rim width 7" to 9" wheel
Section width 10.7"

245/70/17 Specs
Overall Diam 30.6"
Rim width 7"
Section width 9.8"

Your factory wheel width is either 7.5" or 7" so you could get by with any of these tires in my opinion. As you can see each up size is good for around 1" in overall dia. I would probably go with the 265/70/17. The 285 will hurt overall performance as far as acceleration goes due to the extra rotating mass of such a large tire and speedometer would be pretty far off. The speedo difference would not be as drastic with the 265. You could however get the dealer to reflash the computer for that size tire or buy a handheld programmer such as superchips or diablosport. Another thing to consider is the air pressure setting the new tires will need. If they need much more than the original tires you will have to go to dealer and have them reflash computer for new settings or your tire pressure light will stay lit on your dash due to incorrect tire pressure.
jgreene0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
1970FathomBlueMalibu

Thanks for the reply, J!

My truck has the factory-equipped 3.23 limited slip rear, so yea, it's pretty high geared and the taller of a tire I go WILL start to drag on performance.

I shouldn't have any issues with the speedo and tire pressure thing, since my brother can take of that in his GM shop. The reflashed speedo will, I believe, cost me about $50, but the tire pressure flash won't. At least I have easy access to remedies on those situations, however.

I'm still up in the air on the size, simply because once I get thru the rough terrain......it's all highway, really. So, some reduced RPM's out there isn't necessarily a bad thing. We only have one stoplight in this area and I might hit it once a week. My point is.....very few stops and starts. I'm just navigating some rocky, muddy terrain and then highway stuff.

My brother IS a little bit concerned that 285's would cause my tires to rub on sharp turns, but he isn't positive about it.

Sigh. I remember these growing pains on my '70 Chevelle when I was younger. I should have known I couldn't leave this truck alone. It's just in my nature to tinker.

Thanks!

Last edited by 1970FathomBlueMalibu; 03-27-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

the 285s should fit, if they rub on the front you can buy a leveling kit pretty cheap. what motor do you have? if it is a 5.3 it wont be too bad with the taller tires. i have 285/75/16s on my current daily driver, theyre very aggressive mud tires, it has a body lift, 3.73 gears, and a 4.3 v6, it does okay but on the highway it sucks. the biggest downfall to my setup is that a 4.3 has absolutely NO balls. worst motor ever in my opinion. Anyways, if your truck has the bigger motor you should have no problems. PS my speedometer is only off like 3-5 MPH, i checked it with a GPS. mine also had the 245/75 stock tire.

well i just realized how old this thread was, im sure you figured it out by now.

East Tx Squares

Last edited by grayharville; 07-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote