The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
1968k10blue

Interested in storm damaged truck, need opinions

So about 4 miles from my house is a car dealership that deals with salvage titled cars and they have a 2009 chevy 1500 reg. cab long box, 4x4, 4.8l, so on and so forth. (I will post a link at the end). The people who run the yard are known for bringing their cars to be fixed to a place that doesn't do the best job at fixing their vehicles (Lots of bondo and missing bolts type of thing) so I am thinking of trying to strike a deal to get the truck fixed by a reputable place, probably put a down payment and get a loan for the remainder after it has been marked prior salvage, if the dealer is willing to do this. basically I just need opinions on whether or not this sounds like a good idea to you guys, I will also need it checked by a local shop to make sure there are no underlying problems that I don't see.

LINK: http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe...ealer=FLOYDSAS
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Interested in storm damaged truck, need opinions

Here is my opinion. Based of the photos on the link, this truck has a little more than hail damage.

I understand the fact that you would want high quality repair work done.

This truck, if you purchase it, will/should have a salvage title. Which in it self is OK if you plan to keep the truck for a long period of time. Salvage title will decrease the value of the truck instantly. I once owned a Subaru (shhhhh) with a salvage title and I could not give that car away and it was a nice clean car.

Another thing to consider is once the repairs are made (correctly) what is going to be the investment and what could you buy for the same money with a clean title.

Just my thoughts,
Good luck,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
1968k10blue

Total investment, I am hoping around 12k or so, any similar truck in my price range would be a high mileage truck, which I am basically refusing to look at anything above about 150 MAX so nearest truck in pricerange is a 2005 reg cab long box 80k miles for the same 12k
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
truckdude239

looks like really just bed side and a tail gate missing if so it shouldn;t really have a salavge title

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

That truck lools like a bag of walnuts. It has damage to every panel but the roof (maybe there too but I cant see it.) The tailgate is not only missing but the jambs are bent like it was pushed into the bed badly so a new one wont just bolt on. The truck is definitely slavage but if its mechanically sound it probably runs and drives fine. The issue is that to fix that right it needs pretty much every panel if you dont want a bunch of filler. A lot of that stuff can be pulled out but it will still take quite a bit of filler to get flat panels. Id also be concerned about where and what kind of storm it was damaged by. Any kind of submersion is a problem that will haunt you forever. Id expect it to cost 8-10k to fix that right maybe more, Thats why its a salvage. I dont know what kind of fast and dirty body and paint shops you have there but that deal wont be so good if it isnt fixed right. In my opinion. It might be great for a year or two but id expect problems after that if its just hacked together. Also keep in mind that after you make your invesrment no insurance company is going to want to touch it so if it gets wrecked again youre likely to be out your entire investment. You can get liability coverage but that will be about it.

Last edited by Oldtruckfanatic; 08-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote