The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
bautino95

402 big block motor mount question

Hi, I'm rebuilding the 402 in my 71 c-10, and the old motor mounts are no good. It looks like the motor mount half that mounts to the engine is the same for a big and small block, (it has the threaded center hole.) but I can't find the other rubber half that goes on the other side of the mount tower. I see them as a kit form Brothers and Classic Inc, ect.. but they want like $90 for the set and they are stated as big block mounts, but I can get the small block mount for like $10 each, but without the other rubber half. Where can I find the other half of the mount or what is the official term to call it so I can do a proper search for it. thanks
bautino95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Luvinit

Re: 402 big block motor mount question

I just installed my 402 using the newer style mounts with the thru bolt that goes in horizontally instead of in the center of the mount. Seems like a much better mount .
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Here is an article with pictures I did about 12 years ago on this very subject.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=122645

Long story short, I've always used small block rubber mounts and used harmonic balancer washers (big and burly) on the bottom sides of the mounts with no issues and no expensive parts to buy. If you can't lay hands on harmonic balancer washers, and big old burly washer can be substituted.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
bautino95

thanks for the replys, I did a search about this subject by missed the write up Firefighter did. I'm just gonna get the small block mounts and try reusing the other half of my old mounts, the big square rubber piece that sandwhich's under the mount tower is not in as bad of shape as the mount that bolted to the engine itself. Its has a little twist formed in it but not falling apart. If that don't work I'll just use the big washer. Thanks everyone
bautino95 is offline   Reply With Quote