The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #51
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Shop Truck refurb, code name Chaser

If they are in good shape, the Infinity speakers are actually pretty good. How did the engine swap turn out?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #52
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'm still dreaming of the motor swap. Talked to my GM parts warehouse on Wednesday, he said the heavy line order did not get placed until Friday last week. So I might see a delivery today, but chances are it will be Monday at earliest before the 'crate' arrives.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #53
joe231

Damn,
Sounds like you guys are throwing down the gauntlet!
I accept your challenges!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #54
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

If I can just figure out what all I am screwing up by not having a speedo with the VSS hook up, I'd make some progress today. But I'm sort of scared now doing the swap out and leaving the VSS module dangling and not hooked up to a speedometer.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #55
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ok, I think I'm hosed on being able to use my new 100mph speedometer. Took me a hour to get the radio fished up in the dash and hooked up, then it wouldn't work. I was about to unload a clip on the old beater.
Backed up and chased wires, checked fuses then noticed I had a "SHUNT" removed from the block. Went out and robbed one from my burban and plugged it in and VIOLA! Radio works like a champ. I really don't need anything else to go wrong, not in the mood for it today. I'd have to go put a few more dents in the "beatin' hood" we use to take out our frustrations on.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #56
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Still waiting on my motor to get here from GM. The poor truck is gushing transmission fluid now, so I'm not even driving it home on weekends. Looks like a simple seal/gasket issue no doubt, we will fix that when we yank out the drivetrain I suppose.
Got the interior all together, minus the dash cap. I guess the new front speakers I put in sit up a little higher than the factory ones, need to remove the factory speaker bracket it looks and just let the speakers mount on the metal dash. Got frustrated this weekend and just walked away.
Of course we got slammed with work this week, which is good for my pocket book I guess, but bad for the refurb. I was hoping the new engine would arrive this week and I could sweet talk my tech in to starting the swap this weekend. But my wife has other plans for us all, including restriping the front parking lot and removing this big ugly sign column in the front parking area. It does look bad, we took the old sign off of it and it looks like a 'cross' or something, is just ugly.

On a different note, for those who recall my body man being in a fairly severe wreck, his saga is over now it appears. The clown who hit him had esurance, but it seems (took him 2 weeks to find out) the idiot canceled the insurance after getting his verification form. So my poor tech is left holding the bag on his 2001 Silverado, high bid from the salvages so far is $1800. He's upset his wife had dropped his full coverage a while back, and I guess he has every right to be upset. He finally bought a new truck last night, got him a 2009 Silverado with 14k on it. So after a $300 tow bill, $400 in rental car fees and a big "GET BENT" from the insurance company and the clown who hit him, I guess it's over.

I'd also like to take a minute and get on my soap box here. I see this stuff a lot being in the body shop industry, and it makes me cringe. Everyone who runs around with "state minimal liability coverage", just because they drive an older car or the car is paid off, you're asking for a world of hurt. Here in Oklahoma I believe the minimal liability is $15,000. This means whoever you hit has a maximum limit of $15k they will get for repairs on their auto. A good example is a wreck that happened here locally yesterday. A 16 year old with a older vehicle, plowed in to the rear of a 2007 HHR, shoving him in to the rear of a 2004 TrailBlazer, shoving them in to the rear of a 2005 Escape. No doubt all 3 of those vehicles will be total losses, and the 16 year old has a $15,000 Liability Policy (they hope it is valid at least). His insurance company will basically write a check to all 3 of those people for $5000 and wish them well. Sure you could sue the kid and get a judgement on him, just remember the phrase "blood from a turnip" and see how it would end.
Being in the industry, and having been an insurance adjuster for a while, at least I know how this could effect me. My dad gives me horror stories of working a claim decades ago where a young farmer hit a funeral procession in his old beater farm truck. Took out the hearse, the family car, a new cadillac behind those and finally a suburban limosine. Totaled all of them. The farmer had a $10,000 Liability Policy. Ended up losing everything he owned due to the lawsuits.

Liability is cheap. I personally carry $350,000 and strongly encourage everyone to make sure they are covered well enough. /end soapbox rant.

Pic of the new truck!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #57
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That sucks. I always carry uninsured motorist's coverage, even if I don't have comp and collision on a vehicle. It just makes sense.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #58
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Call your agent, uninsured motorist covers your MEDICAL bills if you are hit by a uninsured or underinsured person. It does not cover your property damages (vehicle). Very common misconception due to the terminology.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #59
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I'd also like to take a minute and get on my soap box here. I see this stuff a lot being in the body shop industry, and it makes me cringe. Everyone who runs around with "state minimal liability coverage", just because they drive an older car or the car is paid off, you're asking for a world of hurt.
Well said. My wife runs an insurance office, has her license, etc. They refuse to sell state minimum. That of course makes the prospective client think that they are a stereotypical agency and just trying to upsell. Most people don't get it. I think the minimum they'll sell is 75/150/75. We've got something like 500/750/500, and it's really not much more expensive.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #60
Low87

Quote:
Call your agent, uninsured motorist covers your MEDICAL bills if you are hit by a uninsured or underinsured person. It does not cover your property damages (vehicle). Very common misconception due to the terminology.
Randy, I'll have to tell my wife people like you do exist. She gets so worked up over all the misinformation.

Nice build thread btw. Can't wait to see how you get that 40g tank in there.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #61
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Woohoo! So that's why they call them crate motors.

We might actually get started on it tomorrow as well. We have work in the shop, but waiting on parts for two big jobs and waiting on insurance for a 3rd big job.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #62
Low87

Nice! Make sure your exhaust manifolds are "too warped to put back on" like mine were, so you "have to buy headers since they're cheaper than OEM exhaust manifolds". Worked for me anyways.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #63
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My suburban has a set of headers it is donating. Gotta get them yanked off and painted though. About to make the 'burb undriveable for sure now very soon.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #64
spudz

Quote:
Woohoo! So that's why they call them crate motors.

We might actually get started on it tomorrow as well. We have work in the shop, but waiting on parts for two big jobs and waiting on insurance for a 3rd big job.

i may be wrong.....but I am pretty sure your stock tbi intake will not bolt to those heads without reaming the center holes... unless 87s are different then 88s.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #65
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
i may be wrong.....but I am pretty sure your stock tbi intake will not bolt to those heads without reaming the center holes... unless 87s are different then 88s.
yep, i just went and looked at my 87 parts truck. it indeed has center bolt heads. I dont know what cam your crate motor has but you need to make sure its tbi friendly. or else it will never run right. sometimes lean and sometimes rich. also your original motor prolly has a roller cam. I have installed alot of the 290hp basic crate replacement motors at work "work at chevy dealer". But always in 86 and older. It WILL work and the intake mod is easy, I would just be weary about the cam being tbi friendly or not.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #66
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Joe has one in his CCSB with TBI here on the forum. He swore it would work fine and I threatened to beat him with my intake if it did not.

Everyone I've spoken to said the intake modification is slight and easy, otherwise should be no issues. So lets hope....
Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #67
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

the intake is aluminum, oblonging the holes is pretty asy.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #68
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Nice shop and nice Build keep up the good work.
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #69
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Those valve covers sure are ugly. Almost to the point of being fugly. If I were not so tight, I'd toss some better looking ones on there. Got the initial "we know we'll need this stuff" parts order in, water pump, intake gasket, block off plate gasket, RTV, header gaskets. I know I'll need some antifreeze, radiator hoses, break in oil, filter and countless other items, but we'll probably have a parts truck coming and going for a few days I'm sure.

Cherry picker is on its way, see how much we can get done today hopefully. I am putting my faith in my body man and his ability here, because I know nothing about this mechanical stuff. He races a dirt track factory stock, and is always doing his own car, so if nothing else maybe it'll go fast in a 1/4 mile circle when he's done.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #70
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Thanks BGRAFX, I am proud of my shop actually. We bought this building and it was previously a doctors office with a huge storage area in the back. Was originally built as a manufacturing facility in the 70's though, so it is wired for war electrically. We got the building and right off the bat knocked out about 1/2 of the interior office area, leaving 7500 sq ft of shop space and 5000 sq ft of office still.
We recently finished a remodel of our new break room and my front desk/waiting room. Before it really looked like a doctors office, with a little window and everything. I hated that little window and dealing with my customers through it. It had to go, I like wide open spaces!!!

Break room now (anyone would be proud to eat lunch here!):

My front desk/office:

And the shop, frame machine, lift, body mans boxes, paint booth, mixing room etc. Yes it is air conditioned, no south doors so it is a must really.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #71
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Damn Randy that's Sweet!
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #72
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Few hours of work, engine and transmission is about ready to come out. Hoping they have time to get it out and disassembled so I can get all the accessory brackets, intake and headers painted this weekend.
Transmission fluid is daaaaaaaark and dirty/gritty. Sorta sad since I know we've put at least two fresh quarts in it during the last few weeks. Keeps leaving big puddles when left over the weekend. Might need to rebuild it sooner than I'd hoped.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #73
79gmcclassic

very nice setup!!!!!!
79gmcclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #74
JohnC

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, been on vacation. Glad to see you got the engine man. Looking forward to seeing it in the truck, and a fresh life resurrected under the hood.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #75
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Looks like we need a older flywheel, otherwise, I think we have most everything rounded up for the install. I'll get some stuff freshened up this weekend with paint and probably jamb the fenders and paint the wheelhouses. My body tech says he has a few flywheels at home from his race car stuff, no doubt he has at least one that will work for me.
I called all 4 of our transmission places here in town, not a one of them has a 700R4 sitting there ready for a swap/carry out. So we'll be tossing the old one back in and see how long she holds up. If they are gonna rebuild mine, they'll have to take it back out.
Sure did look 'cleaner' under the hood while it was all still installed. Amazing how dirty and grimy it actually is.
Attached Images