The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2024, 10:11 PM   #1
NWSooner

85 GMC SWB 4X4 Valuation Question

Good evening...I know answers will probably vary greatly on this, but I'm curious to see the answers anyway. I'm purchasing the 85 GMC SWB 4x4 seen here this week. After I have it running,driving and stopping I will be re-selling it to use any profits on my 79 SWB 2x4 build.

The Title will show an 85 GMC SWB C25 2x4, the reason being is because the original vehicle had a fire inside the cab and was totaled. Their was zero damage done to the frame suspension, differentials etc. The truck will have a clean title because the entire cab and front end is from the donor vehicle and that is all the state of Oregon cares about. The truck will have a 6.0 LS out of a 2001 Yukon Denali making it go.

I'm curious how many would:

A.) not buy at all knowing the story?

B.) discount the value significantly due to it being two vehicles combined into one even though the title is clean?

C.) discount the value a little bit?

D.) not care and buy it at fair market price?

Thanks in advance for your input
Attached Images

NWSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:40 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: 85 GMC SWB 4X4 Valuation Question

B. 40%

C. 60%

Most of the time in my Experience,

I would piece mill 2 or 3 trucks together and drive it till it's a Parts truck.

So, With it being pieced together I would want to know the person or want a great price.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:02 PM   #3
NWSooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
B. 40%

C. 60%

Most of the time in my Experience,

I would piece mill 2 or 3 trucks together and drive it till it's a Parts truck.

So, With it being pieced together I would want to know the person or want a great price.
Thank you so much!
Old 01-08-2024, 09:45 AM   #4
THI

Not sure how Oregon law works, I do know a body shop that would put a new to the truck cab on a frame here in Michigan and put the original VIN tag on the new cab - this had to be done under the supervision of the MI State Police since the frame is actually what is titled. The proper rivets were provided by the State Police and they had to observe the tag being attached along with the cab being mounted to the frame. If their procedure was followed the original title stood clean.

What usually happens is someone puts a cab on a frame then sells based on the body and not the frame. Used to see a lot of mid 1970's 3/4-ton 4WD trucks for sale with a 1980's 1/2-ton 2WD title. Not usually a problem in Michigan because there are no smog checks (used to have them in Detroit and suburbs). If I were to purchase something like that, agree with the above statement of wanting to know the person who did the work or a great price.
THI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:21 AM   #5
NWSooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THI View Post
Not sure how Oregon law works, I do know a body shop that would put a new to the truck cab on a frame here in Michigan and put the original VIN tag on the new cab - this had to be done under the supervision of the MI State Police since the frame is actually what is titled. The proper rivets were provided by the State Police and they had to observe the tag being attached along with the cab being mounted to the frame. If their procedure was followed the original title stood clean.

What usually happens is someone puts a cab on a frame then sells based on the body and not the frame. Used to see a lot of mid 1970's 3/4-ton 4WD trucks for sale with a 1980's 1/2-ton 2WD title. Not usually a problem in Michigan because there are no smog checks (used to have them in Detroit and suburbs). If I were to purchase something like that, agree with the above statement of wanting to know the person who did the work or a great price.
I very much appreciate the feedback. In Oregon all they do is verify that the VIN on the vehicle matchs the title & bill of sale. I'm just trying to be sure that too many buyers won't balk at the situation.

Happy Monday!