The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Android04

Tachometer Questions

Afternoon my fellow truckers. So I've been looking to put a tach into my deluxe C10 cluster I am restoring. I've read tons of threads and seen a crap load of pictures. I know most people either use the Classic Trucks or LMC replacement tach, Bosch Retro FST8050, or even Sunpro FZ88R.

I really liked the price of the Bosch or the Sunpro as the other replacement sold at Classic Trucks or LMC came with one heck of a price tag ($199 and $249; I believe). Yes we have to pay to play but for a small gauge it just doesn't tickle my fancy. But in addition the Bosch and the Sunpro only have a white needle which as well bothers me a bit; just throws it off to me. So I looked into the cheaper one from Classic Trucks and come to find out it's not compatible with HEI. So womp, count that one out.

Before I dive into this and paint all of my needles white to match this one single tach gauge what are any other options? Any other gauges people have used? Anybody ever installed a digital gauge?

Truck is a 65 C10 with a V8 and HEI. Any suggestions, thoughts, and pictures would be great.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
luvmytruck

Re: Tachometer Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Afternoon my fellow truckers. So I've been looking to put a tach into my deluxe C10 cluster I am restoring. I've read tons of threads and seen a crap load of pictures. I know most people either use the Classic Trucks or LMC replacement tach, Bosch Retro FST8050, or even Sunpro FZ88R.

I really liked the price of the Bosch or the Sunpro as the other replacement sold at Classic Trucks or LMC came with one heck of a price tag ($199 and $249; I believe). Yes we have to pay to play but for a small gauge it just doesn't tickle my fancy. But in addition the Bosch and the Sunpro only have a white needle which as well bothers me a bit; just throws it off to me. So I looked into the cheaper one from Classic Trucks and come to find out it's not compatible with HEI. So womp, count that one out.

Before I dive into this and paint all of my needles white to match this one single tach gauge what are any other options? Any other gauges people have used? Anybody ever installed a digital gauge?

Truck is a 65 C10 with a V8 and HEI. Any suggestions, thoughts, and pictures would be great.

you can use the tach from classic parts with a tach adapter. I have one on my 65 c10 with a 6 cyl. and an HEI the adapter isolates the the tach from the hei.and allowes you to run the tach on a 4cyl 6 cyl 8 cyl maybe even a 10 cyl
luvmytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
dracko

I used a Bosch tach, I didnt want the original glass lens under the dash cluster lens so I cut the chrome ring and popped the glass off. Mounted it with rideblue’s bracket. You could do the same and just paint the needle to match the rest of them. If you do, let me know what color you use. ✌️
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I used a Bosch tach, I didnt want the original glass lens under the dash cluster lens so I cut the chrome ring and popped the glass off. Mounted it with rideblue’s bracket. You could do the same and just paint the needle to match the rest of them. If you do, let me know what color you use. ✌️
That was another thought of mine. Do you have any pictures? I was going to use the paint sold by LMC:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=53
Part No: 38-0761 - GAUGE NEEDLE PAINT-ORANGE $9.95
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
dracko

Oh ya that Paint looks good.

I didn’t take any pics of the process but pretty straight forward. I think I used a 50 grit disc on an angle grinder on the outer edge of the ring. Moving around and going slow as to not melt something.

dracko is offline   Reply With Quote